AMD 4x4 = 15 % faster than CONROE in gaming

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://xpentor.com/mamboserver/content/view/76/1/

according to this site...

(Disclaimer: the statements made by xpentor.com are the opinions of said site. It is neither implied or stated by me that i agree in whole or in part with anything in said site. Furthermore , predictions of unreleased hardware performance and price modeling with no benchmark data or channel price data from a reputable site is prohibited on general principle in this forum)

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
it depends on if they let us put cheapie x2'3800's and over clock the hell out of them on the 4x4 platform

then its viable...maybe

4X4 will have some things it will just rule in...and dont forget...some big name games are be optimized for quad cores

Crysis is one of them

its a fun time to be a tech nerd....

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

(Disclaimer: the statements made by xpentor.com are the opinions of said site. It is neither implied or stated by me that i agree in whole or in part with anything in said site. Furthermore , predictions of unreleased hardware performance and price modeling with no benchmark data or channel price data from a reputable site is prohibited on general principle in this forum)

Nice try to cover your ass but... nothing.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

That's all conjecture. Anyone could write that, as there are no
supporting links, or anything. I think Multiplexing will increase performance 400%. prove i'm wrong. :roll:

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

Do yourself a favour-kill this thread NOW!!

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
well tbh its cheaper to buy a conroe instead of 2 cpus and ONLY get 15% improvement. 2 Graphics cards, 2 cpu's what next? 2 computers to run 1 game?

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004

:lol: Shot down by a sock puppet, oh the humiliation.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

:lol: Shot down but a sock puppet, oh the humiliation. You think thats embarrising? Try losing your testicles in a knife fight to a midget.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Only 15% wow for 2 extra cores that isn't too much.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

Thus we can say that theoretically, AMD’s 4x4 Platform can outperform Core 2 Extreme by 10-15 percent in a condition where Reverse Hyper Threading is implemented.

1. its theoretical, and IF RHT is implemented
2. the website doesn't state which processors they used for 4x4, when they concluded that 10~15% can be gained. i'm assuming its 2 x FX-62
3. if the above assumption stays true, then if $2000CPU can't outperform one processor @ $1000, isn't it a little bit too pathetic?

someone mentioned putting two X2 3800+ into a 4x4, and OC to kill Conroe.

no shit.. you're comparing two processors OCed to the extreme, with one non-OCed processor. PD can own a FX-62 by severly OCing it. don't forget that Conroe has better OC ability than any of X2 or FX lineups, due to its 65nm.

to be honest, i think 4x4 is a total joke, unless you multi-task the hell out of the computer. that's a different story.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Or.. you could just O/C a conroe to 3.6 Ghz, on air i might add, and beat two FX 62s for hmm 300 dollars?

Not trying to be a fanboy of intel, but 4x4 is a total waste of money.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Yeah right now the fastest chip cost 1,000.00 which is a shit load of money, especially if you buy 2!!!! For the performance upgrade it is not much. But you go to remember the AMD is cutting there prices down for there CPU's So if you buy two FX-62's you can be looking at 900.00

If you over clock them that system will be one fast mother!!!!!
ONLY TIME WILL TELL WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER SET UP. Even then someone else will have somthing faster in a couple of months!!! LOL

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
That site is just speculating, they have no hard evidence proof of what they say.....there's no actual hardware to test this yet!!

Besides, two dual core CPUs to beat a single dual CPU by ONLY 15%???..................That performance gap aint that BIG!!!!!......I be interested in what that single dual core is on to only fall behind 2 dual cores by 15%!!!

If so, if Intel were to come up with similar stuff (2 dual core socket motherboards for Conroe).........we can also assume that the 2 of the fastest Conroes in tandem will out perform the fastest FXs by 50% or more?????

But then again.......its just some "Reverse Speculation"!!!!

ivan_lee05

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
errr....

2-Dual Core FX-62 against 1-Dual Core Core2Extreme... ($2000vs.$999 = 10-15%)

RHT are not proven to run succesfully on AM2-Cores... they've got lil' problem coz' their multi-core chip does'nt share its cache...

Q:what would happen when non-shared cache are running RHT?

A:well, expect a lot of cache miss, branch mis-predict, when a single threaded apps start to run on multi-core chip.

CMT is not finished.. well, i guess when they perfect "Mitosis" an IA-64's (Itanium) technology to their current line-up then it would be interesting..

and last.. Core2Extreme does'nt stop at 2.93Ghz.. oh wait until Q4 and you will see lot of Core@Extreme.. (i guess = X6800-2.93Ghz / X6900-3.2Ghz / X8000-3.5Ghz)

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
(...) to be honest, i think 4x4 is a total joke, unless you multi-task the hell out of the computer. that's a different story.

Not necessarily a joke and not necessarily for intensive multitasking, only; theoretically, the 4x4 concept is very appealing, since it could allow CPUs & co-processors (ASICs, FPGAs, ...) to work together.

The whole point is: r-HT hasn't yet seen the light, the 4x4 is just a plain concept, for the moment & a 10 to 15% estimated performance increase (compared to a Core 2 Duo Extreme - and assuming 2xFX-62), is but utter speculation... about a concept. For the time being, that's about it.

Cheers!