Problem With My MSI-Motherboad! Help!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I was overclocking my MSI 6337LE5. My Pentium III is a 1.4Ghz processor. I overclocked it to 1.51Ghz. I didnt increase voltage or anything. Didnt touch the Ram setting or nothing. Everything was alright but after two (2) hours my computer just went off and doesnt want to turn on.
Is rare because those two hours I played Counter Strike condition Zero and Doom 3. Plus I restarted and use windows XP again.
If my system would have overheated, dont you think it would have turn off by like 30 mins or 1 hour? or even less! It went off right in the middle of a counter strike condition zero. I played for like 30 minutes already before it went off.

I have taken out the battery, check the power supply, the power supply cable, the ATX connector and nothing. When my computer went off, it was the only thing to turn off because my monitor and speakers didnt turn off.

The only thing that happens when I press the "turn on" button in my case is the processor fan starts moving for 1 sec then goes off (and some neons that I have on my case). Also I check the processor, Is not burned. I change the processor, nothing.

Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned! I dont know whats going on!

Three hours before the shut down I updated the BIOS but my mobo was working correctly. After 1 hour I overclocked my processor to 1.51Ghz and after 2 hours my mobo went off. How did it went off after 2 hours? It was working correctly for those two hours! I dont think is the processor maybe the motherboard or something I dont know what can be.

Could you guys help me out?

Mondoman

Splendid
If my system would have overheated, dont you think it would have turn off by like 30 mins or 1 hour? or even less! It went off right in the middle of a counter strike condition zero. I played for like 30 minutes already before it went off.
No, overclocking can lead to heat build up over many hours. Also, components don't necessarily fail right away when they run hot. My guess is that things got hot (and playing a game will stress the system more than sitting at idle) and finally a component failed.
Do you have any info on CPU temp, system air temp, chipset temp, etc? Did you use any add-on coolers or case cooling?
The only thing that happens when I press the "turn on" button in my case is the processor fan starts moving for 1 sec then goes off (and some neons that I have on my case). Also I check the processor, Is not burned. I change the processor, nothing.
Just because a CPU isn't "burned" doesn't mean it's not dead. However, since you swapped it with a different processor, it sounds like you don't have a CPU problem.
Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned!
Sometimes, but more often no. The parts don't usually fail by literally burning, they just stop working.

Since your motherboard is a few years old, the following problem might be an issue:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

In any case, I agree that it sounds like something on your motherboard failed.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hey, I have checked the processor capacitors and they are all (YES ALL OF THEM) very very unstable. I mean if you move them a litttle bit they move all the way down. Can that be a problem? Also there are three capacitors next to the atx connector. One of them have the triangles at the top kinda open and with some black crap.

Do you think my mobo is dead? If yes, then why? I never added voltage to my processor. And I only overclocked 100mhz. My case has like 5 fans. So cooling I dont think was a problem. Maybe because the motherboard was old? and wasnt able to support an overclocking?