Unarmored

AJ

Does anyone know the benefit to the unarmored skill? I'm having tremendous
difficulties staying alive with this skill. I'm level five and attempting to
conquer the Mzuleft castle but the damn orcs in this area kill me in two
shots of their axe, even WITH a 20pt barrier. It takes me about 4 spells to
kill one of them and unless I get very luck (after trying about 30 times) I
can't even kill one! I'm major skilled in Conj, Myst, Dest, and alteration.
Can anyone offer some tips on how to fight these guys? I've tried summoning
a pet but the orcs just run past them and go for me. And in the rare case
that my pet actually gets aggro, I have no way of casting on the orc (pet
tends to get in the way when I try).

AJ wrote:

> Does anyone know the benefit to the unarmored skill? I'm having tremendous
> difficulties staying alive with this skill. I'm level five and attempting to
> conquer the Mzuleft castle but the damn orcs in this area kill me in two
> shots of their axe, even WITH a 20pt barrier. It takes me about 4 spells to
> kill one of them and unless I get very luck (after trying about 30 times) I
> can't even kill one! I'm major skilled in Conj, Myst, Dest, and alteration.
> Can anyone offer some tips on how to fight these guys? I've tried summoning
> a pet but the orcs just run past them and go for me. And in the rare case
> that my pet actually gets aggro, I have no way of casting on the orc (pet
> tends to get in the way when I try).

You're simply too low a level to take on those opponents.
Go try something else for several levels.

Basically, the Unarmored skill acts just like an armor class,
meaning you will take less and less melee damage as you raise
your skill level. At level 5 your skill just isn't high enough
to have much effect.

Waiving his 5th Amendment rights, AJ expounded thusly :
> Does anyone know the benefit to the unarmored skill? I'm having
> tremendous difficulties staying alive with this skill. I'm level five
> and attempting to conquer the Mzuleft castle but the damn orcs in
> this area kill me in two shots of their axe, even WITH a 20pt
> barrier. It takes me about 4 spells to kill one of them and unless I
> get very luck (after trying about 30 times) I can't even kill one!
> I'm major skilled in Conj, Myst, Dest, and alteration. Can anyone
> offer some tips on how to fight these guys? I've tried summoning a
> pet but the orcs just run past them and go for me. And in the rare
> case that my pet actually gets aggro, I have no way of casting on the
> orc (pet tends to get in the way when I try).

Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/ I like the dark
brotherhood cuirass. Conjuring is a nice try, ranged Shock should be
good... I like a ranged Absorb Health, too. Invis in and out as
necessary, use those spells, see what happens. Nice challenge there :)

mietres

Briarroot wrote:

> AJ wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know the benefit to the unarmored skill? I'm having tremendous
>>difficulties staying alive with this skill. I'm level five and attempting to
>>conquer the Mzuleft castle but the damn orcs in this area kill me in two
>>shots of their axe, even WITH a 20pt barrier. It takes me about 4 spells to
>>kill one of them and unless I get very luck (after trying about 30 times) I
>>can't even kill one! I'm major skilled in Conj, Myst, Dest, and alteration.
>>Can anyone offer some tips on how to fight these guys? I've tried summoning
>>a pet but the orcs just run past them and go for me. And in the rare case
>>that my pet actually gets aggro, I have no way of casting on the orc (pet
>>tends to get in the way when I try).
>

> You're simply too low a level to take on those opponents.
> Go try something else for several levels.
>
> Basically, the Unarmored skill acts just like an armor class,
> meaning you will take less and less melee damage as you raise
> your skill level. At level 5 your skill just isn't high enough
> to have much effect.

indeed. anything with low level is not gonna work too well for you. go
fight some mudcrabs and rats to train up your skill. or buy the training.

-M

In article <ca6h77$lug$2@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Miika Turtiainen wrote:
> Briarroot wrote:
>
>> AJ wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know the benefit to the unarmored skill? I'm having tremendous
>>>difficulties staying alive with this skill. I'm level five and attempting to
>>>conquer the Mzuleft castle but the damn orcs in this area kill me in two
>>>shots of their axe, even WITH a 20pt barrier. It takes me about 4 spells to
>>>kill one of them and unless I get very luck (after trying about 30 times) I
>>>can't even kill one! I'm major skilled in Conj, Myst, Dest, and alteration.
>>>Can anyone offer some tips on how to fight these guys? I've tried summoning
>>>a pet but the orcs just run past them and go for me. And in the rare case
>>>that my pet actually gets aggro, I have no way of casting on the orc (pet
>>>tends to get in the way when I try).
>>

>> You're simply too low a level to take on those opponents.
>> Go try something else for several levels.
>>
>> Basically, the Unarmored skill acts just like an armor class,
>> meaning you will take less and less melee damage as you raise
>> your skill level. At level 5 your skill just isn't high enough
>> to have much effect.
>
> indeed. anything with low level is not gonna work too well for you. go
> fight some mudcrabs and rats to train up your skill. or buy the training.
>
> -M

More like "stock up on healing potions and let some mudcrab chew on your
legs". You can work on your alchemy too. Works for any armour skill, just
don't wear your best daedric.

Mietres wrote:

> Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/ I like the dark
> brotherhood cuirass.

What? Where do you get this information? I have not used a single piece
of armor on my current character and her unarmored has gone from 15 to
38 during her travels.

-M

AJ

"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in message
> Mietres wrote:
> >
> > Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/ I like the dark
> > brotherhood cuirass.
>
> What? Where do you get this information? I have not used a single piece
> of armor on my current character and her unarmored has gone from 15 to
> 38 during her travels.
>
> -M

Aye..is this information true? I am 46 UA and my armor rating is a mere
13(basically non-existant). If I equip any armor at all it drops two or
three points. Any melee just tears me to shreds, but fortunately I've got a
couple powerful spells to make the melee go away after a short time hehe.
The problem with these orcs is that they are resistant to my two main
spells, fire and ice...guess I'll be needing a new spell then eh that'll
prolly fix it.

More about this "wearing a piece of armor" hearsay! I have never run across
ANY kind of mention of anything like this in all my days of scrounging
around the net...

AJ wrote:

> Aye..is this information true? I am 46 UA and my armor rating is a mere
> 13(basically non-existant). If I equip any armor at all it drops two or
> three points. Any melee just tears me to shreds, but fortunately I've got a
> couple powerful spells to make the melee go away after a short time hehe.
> The problem with these orcs is that they are resistant to my two main
> spells, fire and ice...guess I'll be needing a new spell then eh that'll
> prolly fix it.

What is the governing attribute behind the Unarmored skill?
I can't remember what it is, but whatever it may be, your
armor rating will increase as that attribute gets higher.

Concerning your problems with those orcs: have you tried a
paralysis spell on them?

And AJ saith unto the gathered crowds:

> "Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in message
>> Mietres wrote:
>>>
>>> Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/ I like the dark
>>> brotherhood cuirass.
>>
>> What? Where do you get this information? I have not used a single
>> piece of armor on my current character and her unarmored has gone
>> from 15 to 38 during her travels.
>>
>> -M
>
> Aye..is this information true? I am 46 UA and my armor rating is a
> mere 13(basically non-existant). If I equip any armor at all it drops
> two or three points. Any melee just tears me to shreds, but
> fortunately I've got a couple powerful spells to make the melee go
> away after a short time hehe. The problem with these orcs is that
> they are resistant to my two main spells, fire and ice...guess I'll
> be needing a new spell then eh that'll prolly fix it.

Yes. There's a bug in the damage calculation- If you are wearing no
armor at all, even with an Unarmored of 100, you will get no damage
reduction at all. If you add a single piece of armor, you will get the
full damage reduction you would expect for your AR.

And it's testable. Wearing no armor, set your Unarmored to 0, then let
something hit you, and see how much damage you take. Now set your
Unarmored to 200 and let the same thing hit you. You won't see any
difference. Now put on a bracer or something, and try again. You should
get about a quarter of the previous damage.

Shock damage is good on Orcs and other stuff, and it looks nice too :)

-mietres

And DoomMunky saith unto the gathered crowd:
> More about this "wearing a piece of armor" hearsay! I have never run
> across ANY kind of mention of anything like this in all my days of
> scrounging around the net...

Take it from the realm of hearsay, and test it. It's easily verified.

-mietres

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:05:35 GMT, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in message
>> Mietres wrote:
>> >
>> > Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/ I like the dark
>> > brotherhood cuirass.
>>
>> What? Where do you get this information? I have not used a single piece
>> of armor on my current character and her unarmored has gone from 15 to
>> 38 during her travels.
>>
>> -M
>
>Aye..is this information true? I am 46 UA and my armor rating is a mere
>13(basically non-existant). If I equip any armor at all it drops two or
>three points. Any melee just tears me to shreds, but fortunately I've got a
>couple powerful spells to make the melee go away after a short time hehe.
>The problem with these orcs is that they are resistant to my two main
>spells, fire and ice...guess I'll be needing a new spell then eh that'll
>prolly fix it.

Try drinking several Restore Health potions as soon as combat starts, if
you drink enough of them during combat you should be able to survive
most any battle with orcs or anything else for that matter...

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

MERLIN

"Mietres" <mietres@vardenfell.org> skrev i en meddelelse
> And DoomMunky saith unto the gathered crowd:
> > More about this "wearing a piece of armor" hearsay! I have never run
> > across ANY kind of mention of anything like this in all my days of
> > scrounging around the net...
>
> Take it from the realm of hearsay, and test it. It's easily verified.
>
> -mietres

All armor types that uses bracers instead of
gauntlets will register an 'unarmored' hit once
in a while (an indication that your hands has
been hit. If you mix light, medium and heavy
armor parts evenly, and spend enough time
practising, you will raise your unamored skill
5-10 % of the times. But if you wear, say
netch leather boots, the same 5-10% will
raise your light armor skill, and if not you
will get a 100% raise of your unarmored
skill. If that happens, clearly armor part
is not needed

If you ask an acrobat or an archer about
their trade, they both stresses the need
to stay out of trouble, avoid close contact
and rely on steallth, strategy and speed.

The mage lady in Balmora Mages
Guild advise you to use a paralyze
spell to immobilize the enemy, to
give you time to chose the right
spell. If he 'wakes up' too soon, just
cast it again. If you first paralyze, then
poison him, you can safely keep him
in a turbor, while he dies. I know it
works. This is how I got the umbra
sword

merlin

MERLIN

"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> AJ wrote:
> >
> > Aye..is this information true? I am 46 UA and my armor rating is a
mere
> > 13(basically non-existant). If I equip any armor at all it drops two
or
> > three points. Any melee just tears me to shreds, but fortunately I've
got a
> > couple powerful spells to make the melee go away after a short time
hehe.
> > The problem with these orcs is that they are resistant to my two main
> > spells, fire and ice...guess I'll be needing a new spell then eh
that'll
> > prolly fix it.
>

> What is the governing attribute behind the Unarmored skill?
> I can't remember what it is, but whatever it may be, your
> armor rating will increase as that attribute gets higher.
>
> Concerning your problems with those orcs: have you tried a
> paralysis spell on them?

The attribute is speed, same as controls the
short blade

It is a clue, that with unarmored your best defense
is speed, hit and run, hit and run

merlin

merlin

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:46:52 -0700, "Mietres" <mietres@vardenfell.org>
wrote:

>Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/

Incorrect.

In article <40c802be$0$166$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, Merlin wrote:

> "Mietres" <mietres@vardenfell.org> skrev i en meddelelse
> > And DoomMunky saith unto the gathered crowd:
> > > More about this "wearing a piece of armor" hearsay! I have never run
> > > across ANY kind of mention of anything like this in all my days of
> > > scrounging around the net...
> >
> > Take it from the realm of hearsay, and test it. It's easily verified.
> >
> > -mietres
> >

> All armor types that uses bracers instead of
> gauntlets will register an 'unarmored' hit once
> in a while (an indication that your hands has
> been hit. If you mix light, medium and heavy
> armor parts evenly, and spend enough time
> practising, you will raise your unamored skill
> 5-10 % of the times. But if you wear, say
> netch leather boots, the same 5-10% will
> raise your light armor skill, and if not you
> will get a 100% raise of your unarmored
> skill. If that happens, clearly armor part
> is not needed

<snip>

From what I've found, all hits are done on a hit location table. I often
play an Agorian (good money from perls in the early game), so I always have
an unarmoured appendage or two. The armour protecting where you get hit
determines the skill gain (and the damage, it seems).

From Nospam:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:46:52 -0700, "Mietres" <mietres@vardenfell.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/
>
> Incorrect.

*You're* incorrect. There's a bug in the damage calculation unless you
add at least 1 armor. Check it. Unless you're playing on an xtoy.

"Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote in message news:<40c802be$0$166$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>...
> All armor types that uses bracers instead of
> gauntlets will register an 'unarmored' hit once
> in a while (an indication that your hands has
> been hit. If you mix light, medium and heavy
> armor parts evenly, and spend enough time
> practising, you will raise your unamored skill
> 5-10 % of the times. But if you wear, say
> netch leather boots, the same 5-10% will
> raise your light armor skill, and if not you
> will get a 100% raise of your unarmored
> skill. If that happens, clearly armor part
> is not needed

Nope, armor is never needed. When I train speed, I usually
go out in loin cloth. The "unarmored' bit is actually
attributable to shield location. No, this has got nothing
to do with block. If you put on a shield and wield a
two-hander, note that shield is still active. You won't be
blocking anything, but "hand" hit will go to the skill of
your shield weight (i.e. Chitin shield will go to light armor,
dragonscale to medium and so on). If not, it'll go to
unarmored.

Later...

Archived from groups: alt.test,alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:23:34 -0700, "Red Neckerson" <red@neck.com>
wrote:

>From Nospam:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:46:52 -0700, "Mietres" <mietres@vardenfell.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Unarmored requires one piece of armor to work :/
>>
>> Incorrect.
>
>*You're* incorrect. There's a bug in the damage calculation unless you
>add at least 1 armor. Check it. Unless you're playing on an xtoy.

I checked over a year ago.

I played a character through the entire main quest using
zero armor. None. None at all. He used no sheild. As
his unarmored skill rose, his armor rating rose. His
armor rating rose over 50, yet he wore no armor and
carried no shield. He used the Unarmored skill.

Do you understand? Let me repeat it as a simple
bulleted list:

1. My character used no shield.
2. My character wore no armor.
3. The armor rating of my character rose to 50+.
4. #3 happened because of his Unarmored skill.

Please stop posting incorrect information: it confuses the
newbies.

And nospam saith unto the gathered crowd:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:23:34 -0700, "Red Neckerson" <red@neck.com>
> wrote:
>
>> From Nospam:

>>> Incorrect.
>>
>> *You're* incorrect. There's a bug in the damage calculation unless
>> you add at least 1 armor. Check it. Unless you're playing on an
>> xtoy.
>>

> I checked over a year ago.
>
> I played a character through the entire main quest using
> zero armor. None. None at all. He used no sheild. As
> his unarmored skill rose, his armor rating rose. His
> armor rating rose over 50, yet he wore no armor and
> carried no shield. He used the Unarmored skill.
>
> Do you understand? Let me repeat it as a simple
> bulleted list:
>
> 1. My character used no shield.
> 2. My character wore no armor.
> 3. The armor rating of my character rose to 50+.
> 4. #3 happened because of his Unarmored skill.
>
> Please stop posting incorrect information: it confuses the
> newbies.

Children! Children! You're both right. In another post in this
thread, I showed how you can test it. And Nospam is correct that the AR
goes up as skill does. The point however, is that damage remains the
same despite the AR increase. That's the bug, damage calculation. Can
be verified in 5 minutes by adjusting values through the console.

-mietres

AJ

> Children! Children! You're both right. In another post in this
> thread, I showed how you can test it. And Nospam is correct that the AR
> goes up as skill does. The point however, is that damage remains the
> same despite the AR increase. That's the bug, damage calculation. Can
> be verified in 5 minutes by adjusting values through the console.
>
> -mietres

So this is correctable without wearing a piece of armor? could you post the
commands to type int0 the console so I could fix this lame bug. Drinkin 30
potions per big fight isn't my idea of 'role playing'.

AJ saith unto the gathered crowd:

> So this is correctable without wearing a piece of armor? could you
> post the commands to type int0 the console so I could fix this lame
> bug. Drinkin 30 potions per big fight isn't my idea of 'role playing'.

Sorry, that's how it can be verified, no way to fix it with console
commands :/ But if you wear a robe, you can't tell that you're wearing
a cuirass or a greave. A single bracer doesn't look too bad, and even a
cloth one would work. Any one will let you get the AR value of
unarmored to be in effect. There isn't even a mod to fix it.

-mietres