sytem restore

System restore is not working. I get a warning that it has
encountered a problem and needs to close. Error signature is:
AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName:
srrstr.dll ModVer:5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826
How do I restore System Restore to my computer?
1 answer Last reply
More about sytem restore

    Hi Kirk,

    Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "kirk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > System restore is not working. I get a warning that it has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close. Error signature is:
    > AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName:
    > srrstr.dll ModVer:5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826
    > How do I restore System Restore to my computer?

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP