Domain name

Hello:

I am creating a new domain in Windows 2003. I need that the domain names is
formed only by a word (DOMAIN) bur when I am going to do it I get a warning
saying that the name should have 2 etiquettes separated by a dot
(DOMAIN.COM). I am not going to connect the domain to Internet, I mean the DC
only is going to "see" the computers in the domain and it is going to use
only the DNS servers in the domain.
Could I name the domain only with a word? Is there any known problems doing
this?

Thank you very much.

This is called a single label domain name.
You will have less headache and problems in the future if you do not use a
single label domain name.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"j05e" <j05e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am creating a new domain in Windows 2003. I need that the domain names
> is
> formed only by a word (DOMAIN) bur when I am going to do it I get a
> warning
> saying that the name should have 2 etiquettes separated by a dot
> (DOMAIN.COM). I am not going to connect the domain to Internet, I mean the
> DC
> only is going to "see" the computers in the domain and it is going to use
> only the DNS servers in the domain.
> Could I name the domain only with a word? Is there any known problems
> doing
> this?
>
> Thank you very much.

"j05e" <j05e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am creating a new domain in Windows 2003. I need that the domain names
is
> formed only by a word (DOMAIN) bur when I am going to do it I get a
warning
> saying that the name should have 2 etiquettes separated by a dot
> (DOMAIN.COM).

It should.

It really SHOULD (must) have 2 or more labels.

FYI: Spanish 'etiqueta' translates as two unrelated
English words:

etiquette (politeness, manners, customs)
label - tag, sign (on an article)

> I am not going to connect the domain to Internet, I mean the DC
> only is going to "see" the computers in the domain and it is going to use
> only the DNS servers in the domain.

Then you may and probably should use a PRIVATE name
with at least two labels: domain.local, domain.private, but
not just domain.

> Could I name the domain only with a word? Is there any known problems
doing
> this?

Yes, but you will have many problems. Do NOT do that.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem, Google:

[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

--
Herb Martin

> Thank you very much.

You could use domain.corp (non public)
The netbios name will still be domain

Regards
Mark Dormer

"j05e" <j05e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am creating a new domain in Windows 2003. I need that the domain names
> is
> formed only by a word (DOMAIN) bur when I am going to do it I get a
> warning
> saying that the name should have 2 etiquettes separated by a dot
> (DOMAIN.COM). I am not going to connect the domain to Internet, I mean the
> DC
> only is going to "see" the computers in the domain and it is going to use
> only the DNS servers in the domain.
> Could I name the domain only with a word? Is there any known problems
> doing
> this?
>
> Thank you very much.

> FYI: Spanish 'etiqueta' translates as two unrelated
English words:

etiquette (politeness, manners, customs)
label - tag, sign (on an article)

That threw me - I thought that MS were saying the prefix had to be polite to
the suffix, else things wouldn't work!! : )

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > FYI: Spanish 'etiqueta' translates as two unrelated
> English words:
>
> etiquette (politeness, manners, customs)
> label - tag, sign (on an article)
>

> That threw me -

I thought it might confuse the answers for the poster, if
people misunderstood the translation problem -- likely
he used a dictionary or automatic translation program for
that word.

> --I thought that MS were saying the prefix had to be polite to
> the suffix, else things wouldn't work!! : )

When I grow up, I want to be a polymath. <grin>

Actually, it was on of my Spanish vocabulary words
this month and I was so surprised at the two disjoint
meanings that I looked it up carefully to make sure.

--
Herb Martin

> When I grow up, I want to be a polymath. <grin>

<g>

> Actually, it was on of my Spanish vocabulary words this month and I was so
> surprised at the two disjoint meanings that I looked it up carefully to
> make sure.

Is this your first go at learning another language, or do you speak many
(Perl, C, etc. don't count)?

The meanings are quite disjoint...strange

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

> > When I grow up, I want to be a polymath. <grin>
>
> <g>
>

> > Actually, it was on of my Spanish vocabulary words this month and I was
so
> > surprised at the two disjoint meanings that I looked it up carefully to
> > make sure.
>
> Is this your first go at learning another language, or do you speak many
> (Perl, C, etc. don't count)?

I can get by in about 7 human languages
(beer, dinner, taxi, hotel, airport).

But in just the last seven months I understand
Spanish better than any other except English
due to my "new method".

I developed it while learning Arabic last year
and even though I have been studying (human)
languages for 40 years with no REAL success
(never fluent) and yet already my Arabic rivals
my other languages (less than a year) and my
Spanish is better.

I just finished reading Harry Potter #2 and #3
and most of the way through #4 and mostly I
am just reading (not translating.)

> The meanings are quite disjoint...strange

It happens in English but we seldom notice:
(More often with homonyms -- see sea, tea, tee,
unless there is a relationship:
short [ stature circuit ])

[FYI: About 35 computer languages if you care.]

> ...About 35 computer languages if you care

I do, and it's very impressive.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

> > ...About 35 computer languages if you care
>
> I do, and it's very impressive.

After 4 or 5 it's pretty much all the same if
you are a GOOD programmer.

I still can't program in Prolog though.

One trick I use for programming design
is to "think" in the language that best fits
the problem and then build the solution
in whatever language is avaiable or chosen
(for other reasons.)

But I find that Perl comes to hand most
easily for most ad hoc tasks.

--