Sign in with
Your question

My Computer Wont Turn On! Help!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2006 11:16:21 PM

Hi

I was overclocking my MSI 6337LE5. My Pentium III is a 1.4Ghz processor. I overclocked it to 1.51Ghz. I didnt increase voltage or anything. Didnt touch the Ram setting or nothing. Everything was alright but after two (2) hours my computer just went off and doesnt want to turn on.
Is rare because those two hours I played Counter Strike condition Zero and Doom 3. Plus I restarted and use windows XP again.
If my system would have overheated, dont you think it would have turn off by like 30 mins or 1 hour? or even less! It went off right in the middle of a counter strike condition zero. I played for like 30 minutes already before it went off.

I have taken out the battery, check the power supply, the power supply cable, the ATX connector and nothing. When my computer went off, it was the only thing to turn off because my monitor and speakers didnt turn off.

The only thing that happens when I press the "turn on" button in my case is the processor fan starts moving for 1 sec then goes off (and some neons that I have on my case). Also I check the processor, Is not burned. I change the processor, nothing.

Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned! I dont know whats going on!

Three hours before the shut down I updated the BIOS but my mobo was working correctly. After 1 hour I overclocked my processor to 1.51Ghz and after 2 hours my mobo went off. How did it went off after 2 hours? It was working correctly for those two hours! I dont think is the processor maybe the motherboard or something I dont know what can be.

Could you guys help me out?

More about : computer wont turn

July 7, 2006 11:45:40 PM

Quote:
Hi

Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned! I dont know whats going on!

I know what's going on. You torched your machine.

Quote:
Hi

How did it went off after 2 hours? It was working correctly for those two hours! I dont think is the processor maybe the motherboard or something I dont know what can be.

How could it have gone off after 2 hours? You torched it. You don't think it was the processor, but the processor is what you overclocked, so what makes you think it is something else? How exactly did you overclock the machine? It went off right in the middle of playing a game, which would have stressed the machine, creating more heat. What was the processor temp running for these 2 hours, and right before it went off and won't come back on? How did you test the power supply?
July 7, 2006 11:49:06 PM

Running at its normal temperature is between 45 and 47. Now when I overclocked to 1.42Ghz, 1.45Ghz, 1.47Ghz and even 1.51Ghz the temperature didnt go higher than 53. I never increased the voltage!

Could it be that it went higher and higher and then just bom? But then why even changing the processor my computer wont turn on? I cant even turn on the pc with another tualatin. The processor doesnt smell like burned not even my case.

ADDED: The keyboard is a logitech one with a F-lock option I can turn off and on that. I have no idea why.
Related resources
July 7, 2006 11:53:06 PM

Why do you think it will smell burned?

How did you test the power supply? How did you overclock the machine? Are you sure the temp was running that low while you were playing the game?

So, this p3 is a 1.4G S model with 512K cache, right? 133 FSB?
July 7, 2006 11:59:08 PM

I dont know im just saying it might.

I test the power supply I brought another one from another pc I have and nothing. The only thing I did to overclock the machine was add mhz to the FSB in the BIOS. The highest I went was 140FSB (Which in windows it registered as 141Mhz) I dont know the temperature was that low when I played the game. When I first booted windows with that FSB, the temp was around 53. Then I went to play Doom 3 to test perfomance. Everything went good. I log off Doom 3 and then check my email and internet. Then I started to play counter Strike condition zero and after 30 minutes it went off.

Yes it is a Pentium III-S with 512k cache with 133 FSB
July 8, 2006 12:01:10 AM

I just tried a 1.3Ghz tualatin with another power supply and doesnt work. It turned on for about 1 sec but then went off. What Going On!!!
July 8, 2006 12:11:05 AM

It's possible you either damaged your memory or your video card. By increasing the FSB you were overclocking the AGP slot, as well as the memory.

Try another video card if you have one, and some other memory, or if you have more than 1 stick of memory, remove all but one and try it.

Also, you were overclocking the pci bus too, so remove anything else you have in the machine, except a video card, memory and disk.
July 8, 2006 12:18:47 AM

Try another motherboard yet?
July 8, 2006 12:21:13 AM

i just tried another memory and videocard from the mobo but nothing. Im going to try to change the psu energy cable and change the place where i connect to the wall
July 8, 2006 12:23:57 AM

If the machine comes on for 1 second then the cable and wall outlet are working.

If you tried a new video card, new memory, new power supply, new CPU, have removed everything else in the machine, then it's looking like it's the motherboard. You reset the bios, right? Not much left it could be, except the disk, which by the way was also overclocked because the disk controller was overclocked too. Unplug the disk and see if it will stay on longer than 1 second.
July 8, 2006 12:26:27 AM

Nothin. The motherboard keeps turnin on for only 1 sec as well as the cpu fan and my neons. Why dont my neons stay on if they dont have anything to do with the mobo? whats going on?
July 8, 2006 12:28:15 AM

Unplug the fricken neons. Have you removed everything else in the machine like I suggested?
July 8, 2006 12:29:32 AM

im gonna try new memory, new psu, videocard from mobo, new energ cable and disconnect everthing hard drive and cdrom drives and see.
July 8, 2006 12:32:12 AM

Good idea. Wish I had thought of that.
July 8, 2006 12:35:30 AM

nothin again the mobo just goes on for 1 sec and then goes off. im gonna try removing the bios battery.
July 8, 2006 12:42:13 AM

Again, nothing. I dont wanna think my motherboard is dead but... if it is. I have tried everthing. even putting the BIOS in recovery mode. What can I do? :( 
July 8, 2006 12:43:37 AM

I thought you said you did that [removed the battery]?

1. reset the bios.
2. remove everything in the machine not needed, except a video card, memory, cpu.
3. reseat all devices in their slots and sockets (shouldn't be a problem, but do it anyway).

Not much left to do, except test all the stuff in another machine, and if everything works, then your board is toast.
July 8, 2006 12:59:03 AM

Well again nothing!!!.
I think is time to take a rest. Tomorrow ill try everything of this computer in a different motherboard. Is they work. Im a dead man. Because that was my best socket 370 motherboard I had. Grrrr!.

If you guys have anything else to say I will appreciate that.
July 8, 2006 1:01:16 AM

You can probably find another one on ebay, but hey, sounds like it's time to upgrade anyway.

BTW, that cpu might not work in another machine, so check the specs of the motherboard to be sure it will support the cpu before you freak out and think the cpu is dead.
July 8, 2006 1:10:51 AM

Quote:
BTW, that cpu might not work in another machine, so check the specs of the motherboard to be sure it will support the cpu before you freak out and think the cpu is dead.

LOL
July 8, 2006 1:11:43 AM

Yeah i know the mobo I try my processor on or if I get another one or ebay needs to have FC-PGA2 support.

I might get the same one or a server motherboard which would be a good idea.

Thanks anyway Pain
July 8, 2006 1:35:56 AM

Hey Pain

There are three energy batteries right next to the ATX connector (You know the green things)(but I dont mean the processor energy batteries) Two of them are ok but one is kinda open. You know they have like 3 triangles at the top. Well one of them have them kinda open. And is the only one not even the ones from the processor are like that.

Is that normal?
July 8, 2006 11:31:37 AM

That's a capacitor, and if it's open then no, it's not normal. Is it leaking any fluid?
July 9, 2006 2:47:51 AM

I installed another pc because the one with the power problem is considered from this moment dead. Now I tried connecting the PSU of that motherboard to another one and guess what? is dead too. Why is the motherboard AND the PSU dead? what really happened?

Ideas
July 9, 2006 11:52:58 AM

No idea. If all you did was overclock as you have said, then it shouldn't have pulled that much more power, but I have no idea.
July 9, 2006 12:57:55 PM

Straight up, the motherboard is fried, as is the CPU most likely, as well as other parts, too-I bet.

Time to open the wallet. :cry: 
July 9, 2006 5:47:20 PM

Hey

Right now the cpu im using to write this reply has the GeForce 6600 and the Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz that I used on that system I overclocked. The only things dead are the motherboard and PSU.

Now im afraid because I didnt try yet my hard drive but they should be fine since was the CPU I overclocked and it didnt get damaged I dont think the harddrive is dead.

Regards
July 9, 2006 8:35:25 PM

Hi;

Could be. Give it a whirl.

I think you are approaching the point of negative return regarding a P3 motherboard replacement. It may be less expensive to purchase a newer CPU and motherboard.

However; it's your money and time.

Cordially;

The Texas Gulag
July 9, 2006 9:00:06 PM

if the hard drive is fried, still other motherboards should still turn on with other psu. I hope is not because I had 40gb of data in there.
July 9, 2006 10:10:29 PM

Hi;

You worry too much. I bet the drive is good. However, I would certainly immeditately consider buying an external backup drive, and after all this is over, run, at minimum, weekly full-blown, across the board, total backups.

You've dodged a bullet regarding data retention this time, I think.

Cordially;
July 9, 2006 10:39:03 PM

I certainly agree there, as far as getting a backup system. I mentioned the disk may be damaged because it's possible, but I too doubt that it is. I've seen older disks go belly up from overclocking [because the controller was overclocked and it corrupted the data], but I've never seen them prevent the machine from starting and at least getting to where it will attempt to boot from the disk.
July 9, 2006 11:15:29 PM

Your probably shorted both in some manner
July 9, 2006 11:26:44 PM

Well I read an article where a guy replaced burst capacitors on a motherboard with new ones and it fixed it.. but it's hard to do. Largely because you run the risk of shorting motherboard traces with a glob of solder.
July 10, 2006 12:28:26 AM

Quote:
It's possible you either damaged your memory or your video card. By increasing the FSB you were overclocking the AGP slot, as well as the memory.

Try another video card if you have one, and some other memory, or if you have more than 1 stick of memory, remove all but one and try it.

Also, you were overclocking the pci bus too, so remove anything else you have in the machine, except a video card, memory and disk.

What about the motherboard itself? I've noticed a lot of times when you get that short burst of power (fan and everything turns on for a second) that the power supply is good, everything is fine but the motherboard.
July 10, 2006 12:46:06 AM

We've already covered that, read the whole thread. It's assumed the MB is toast.
July 10, 2006 12:47:03 AM

Quote:
We've already covered that. It's assumed the MB is toast.

Sorry about that, reading from the beginning it kinda hit me and decided to get it out there ASAP ;) 
July 10, 2006 12:48:42 AM

Well the motherboard and the PSU are not working cuz I tried them with different stuff but they do not work. Only video card, sound card, cd roms, cpu etc.

Now the hard drive is working because I turned on to see if It still was working and yes I putted my hand over it and I felt the disk spinning.

Now, Im not gonna buy another motherboard for an old PIII im just gonna buy conroe and then maybe sell what I have in here from this PIII.
July 10, 2006 12:48:43 AM

Yeah, from the beginning I would have looked at other things, but as it went on then it became obvious the board is likely dead. Oh well, stuff happens.

IRT slim142: The disk spinning doesn't mean it's working, but as said, I doubt it's damaged but you won't know until you try to read your data.
July 10, 2006 1:00:46 AM

You fried the voltage regulating capacitors!!!!!!!

New mobo required.

Dont wast money on rebuilding - upgrade to the new millenium!!!
July 10, 2006 1:03:39 AM

Yeah i Know!!!

I have one question left.

Will any capacitor or in other words any of this things might happen if I overclock any other computer? Because since this moment I dont wanna know anything about overclocking. Maybe the motherboard was defective or too old and thats why it died by overclocking it.

If I get to get a conroe 2.67Ghz I would like to overclock it to 2.80Ghz but from now I dont know if I should.
July 10, 2006 1:17:37 AM

Capacitors have a working life - depending on quality.

Paper capacitors last up to ten years at best.

Metal ones like on your board can last 10-20 or 2years if you run them too hot. Part of your overclocked system put too much stress on the cap and it fried. May have worked fine for ages with no overclock. Be advised when a cap fries it stops working. If this controls voltage and is not working you may have too much or too little. Too little - unstable pc.
Too much - toast!
July 10, 2006 1:22:10 AM

ok but my question is

if i go to the store right now and get an intel x975 bad axe and overclock a 930 cpu nothing will happen if I have the cpu with good cooling right? there is no risk that a cap will frie. right?
July 10, 2006 10:30:00 AM

There is always a risk something will go wrong, and you either assume that risk, or you don't do it.
July 10, 2006 5:10:46 PM

But im talking about with a new motherboard. Not with old stuff like PIII.
I dont think a new motherboard will frie if I overclock it 100mhz or 200mhz right.
July 10, 2006 5:22:16 PM

There is always a risk something will go wrong, and you either assume that risk, or you don't do it.

In other words, anything can happen and if you can't afford to blow something up then don't mess with it.
July 10, 2006 5:39:06 PM

Quote:
I certainly agree there, as far as getting a backup system. I mentioned the disk may be damaged because it's possible, but I too doubt that it is. I've seen older disks go belly up from overclocking [because the controller was overclocked and it corrupted the data], but I've never seen them prevent the machine from starting and at least getting to where it will attempt to boot from the disk.

Just a side note: SATA drives have the uncanny ability to prevent the computer from booting if they crash, even if its a secondary drive and the system drive is perfectly fine.
July 10, 2006 5:45:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah i Know!!!

I have one question left.

Will any capacitor or in other words any of this things might happen if I overclock any other computer? Because since this moment I dont wanna know anything about overclocking. Maybe the motherboard was defective or too old and thats why it died by overclocking it.

If I get to get a conroe 2.67Ghz I would like to overclock it to 2.80Ghz but from now I dont know if I should.

If the capacitor was truly your only issue, I wouldn't blame it on overclocking. I worked at a company a few years ago that had mobos from the same era as your's. In total, I had to replace 62 mobo's that had blown capacitors. It turned out that a company had produced the capacitors with the wrong chemical composition, which caused them to explode during use. The capacitors weren't brand specific, they were one of those parts that everyone might use, no matter what company they are. You might have had one in that board that blew up.

OR.... as your power supply went to crap, it started sending surges to your CPU, which could have blow the cap. I might have missed it, but is your CPU still damaged or did you narrow it down to just your mobo and PSU now?
July 10, 2006 5:55:28 PM

The only things dead from that computer is the PSU and motherboard. Im using the CPU and videocard from that system right now.
Now I just want to make sure nothing of this will happen again(I mean problems with capacitors in BRAND-NEW MOTHERBOARDS) Because I wanna get Conroe and overclock it 100mhz or 200mhz. And as you say, the capacitors might have been the only problem as the mobo was old and maybe didnt support an overclock. Maybe the previous owner overclock it too I dont know many things might had happened to that before before it got into my hands.
July 10, 2006 6:51:43 PM

Well you're looking for a specific answer to your question, but you're not going to get one. The only way to know is to do it yourself (and we can't judge your overclocking knowledge/experience/ability... nor can we tell if your future components will arrive at your doorstep with faulty capacitors... it is impossible for us to predict what will happen in your case. You have to realize you are taking a risk by overclocking.. pushing your system beyond the whitepaper specs puts your components at risk). Capacitors aren't supposed to blow.. when they do it is because they are faulty, overloaded, or both. One of the other posters is right, there was a large batch of bad capacitors released several years ago that were used in all brands of motherboards. They would often leak/explode because of problems. Setting a higher multiplier shouldn't do that to your capacitors because it isn't pushing any more voltage. I think your PSU fried and blew the capacitors.
!