My Computer Wont Turn On! Help!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I was overclocking my MSI 6337LE5. My Pentium III is a 1.4Ghz processor. I overclocked it to 1.51Ghz. I didnt increase voltage or anything. Didnt touch the Ram setting or nothing. Everything was alright but after two (2) hours my computer just went off and doesnt want to turn on.
Is rare because those two hours I played Counter Strike condition Zero and Doom 3. Plus I restarted and use windows XP again.
If my system would have overheated, dont you think it would have turn off by like 30 mins or 1 hour? or even less! It went off right in the middle of a counter strike condition zero. I played for like 30 minutes already before it went off.

I have taken out the battery, check the power supply, the power supply cable, the ATX connector and nothing. When my computer went off, it was the only thing to turn off because my monitor and speakers didnt turn off.

The only thing that happens when I press the "turn on" button in my case is the processor fan starts moving for 1 sec then goes off (and some neons that I have on my case). Also I check the processor, Is not burned. I change the processor, nothing.

Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned! I dont know whats going on!

Three hours before the shut down I updated the BIOS but my mobo was working correctly. After 1 hour I overclocked my processor to 1.51Ghz and after 2 hours my mobo went off. How did it went off after 2 hours? It was working correctly for those two hours! I dont think is the processor maybe the motherboard or something I dont know what can be.

Could you guys help me out?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Hi

Dont you think if something would have been burned, I would see the smoke or smell it? Nothing smells burned! I dont know whats going on!

I know what's going on. You torched your machine.

Hi

How did it went off after 2 hours? It was working correctly for those two hours! I dont think is the processor maybe the motherboard or something I dont know what can be.

How could it have gone off after 2 hours? You torched it. You don't think it was the processor, but the processor is what you overclocked, so what makes you think it is something else? How exactly did you overclock the machine? It went off right in the middle of playing a game, which would have stressed the machine, creating more heat. What was the processor temp running for these 2 hours, and right before it went off and won't come back on? How did you test the power supply?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Running at its normal temperature is between 45 and 47. Now when I overclocked to 1.42Ghz, 1.45Ghz, 1.47Ghz and even 1.51Ghz the temperature didnt go higher than 53. I never increased the voltage!

Could it be that it went higher and higher and then just bom? But then why even changing the processor my computer wont turn on? I cant even turn on the pc with another tualatin. The processor doesnt smell like burned not even my case.

ADDED: The keyboard is a logitech one with a F-lock option I can turn off and on that. I have no idea why.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Why do you think it will smell burned?

How did you test the power supply? How did you overclock the machine? Are you sure the temp was running that low while you were playing the game?

So, this p3 is a 1.4G S model with 512K cache, right? 133 FSB?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I dont know im just saying it might.

I test the power supply I brought another one from another pc I have and nothing. The only thing I did to overclock the machine was add mhz to the FSB in the BIOS. The highest I went was 140FSB (Which in windows it registered as 141Mhz) I dont know the temperature was that low when I played the game. When I first booted windows with that FSB, the temp was around 53. Then I went to play Doom 3 to test perfomance. Everything went good. I log off Doom 3 and then check my email and internet. Then I started to play counter Strike condition zero and after 30 minutes it went off.

Yes it is a Pentium III-S with 512k cache with 133 FSB

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I just tried a 1.3Ghz tualatin with another power supply and doesnt work. It turned on for about 1 sec but then went off. What Going On!!!

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
It's possible you either damaged your memory or your video card. By increasing the FSB you were overclocking the AGP slot, as well as the memory.

Try another video card if you have one, and some other memory, or if you have more than 1 stick of memory, remove all but one and try it.

Also, you were overclocking the pci bus too, so remove anything else you have in the machine, except a video card, memory and disk.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
i just tried another memory and videocard from the mobo but nothing. Im going to try to change the psu energy cable and change the place where i connect to the wall

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
If the machine comes on for 1 second then the cable and wall outlet are working.

If you tried a new video card, new memory, new power supply, new CPU, have removed everything else in the machine, then it's looking like it's the motherboard. You reset the bios, right? Not much left it could be, except the disk, which by the way was also overclocked because the disk controller was overclocked too. Unplug the disk and see if it will stay on longer than 1 second.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Nothin. The motherboard keeps turnin on for only 1 sec as well as the cpu fan and my neons. Why dont my neons stay on if they dont have anything to do with the mobo? whats going on?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Again, nothing. I dont wanna think my motherboard is dead but... if it is. I have tried everthing. even putting the BIOS in recovery mode. What can I do? :(

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I thought you said you did that [removed the battery]?

1. reset the bios.
2. remove everything in the machine not needed, except a video card, memory, cpu.
3. reseat all devices in their slots and sockets (shouldn't be a problem, but do it anyway).

Not much left to do, except test all the stuff in another machine, and if everything works, then your board is toast.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well again nothing!!!.
I think is time to take a rest. Tomorrow ill try everything of this computer in a different motherboard. Is they work. Im a dead man. Because that was my best socket 370 motherboard I had. Grrrr!.

If you guys have anything else to say I will appreciate that.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You can probably find another one on ebay, but hey, sounds like it's time to upgrade anyway.

BTW, that cpu might not work in another machine, so check the specs of the motherboard to be sure it will support the cpu before you freak out and think the cpu is dead.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah i know the mobo I try my processor on or if I get another one or ebay needs to have FC-PGA2 support.

I might get the same one or a server motherboard which would be a good idea.

Thanks anyway Pain

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hey Pain

There are three energy batteries right next to the ATX connector (You know the green things)(but I dont mean the processor energy batteries) Two of them are ok but one is kinda open. You know they have like 3 triangles at the top. Well one of them have them kinda open. And is the only one not even the ones from the processor are like that.

Is that normal?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I installed another pc because the one with the power problem is considered from this moment dead. Now I tried connecting the PSU of that motherboard to another one and guess what? is dead too. Why is the motherboard AND the PSU dead? what really happened?

Ideas