New DNS server

I have an active directory with a parent and child domain. The parent has a
Win2003 Server with DNS and I've just put a new Win2K server into the parent
domain (as a backup). I chose Win2K because in the past, I've had to have a
Win2K server to install Exchange 2000 tools and what-not.
Anyway, I installed DNS on this and ran the "configure this as a DNS server"
wizard, but I'm not so sure that I did everything right. What can I look
for to test that it's actually replicating DNS info and that if my original
dies, it can step in? Is there a white paper or resource anybody can point
me to so that I can see if my new server is fully DNS ready?

Thanks,
Mark
5 answers Last reply
More about server

    When you installed Win2003 and setup DNS as AD-Integrated, it set it up as a
    Win2003 AD-Integrated zone, i.e. in its own application partition. Win2000
    doesn't understand this, and can't load the zone. Configure the Win2000 DC
    to hold a secondary copy of the Win2003 zone. You'll need to allow zone
    transfers in the 2003 zone.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "Mark" <mark@ihatespam.com> wrote in message
    I have an active directory with a parent and child domain. The parent has a
    Win2003 Server with DNS and I've just put a new Win2K server into the parent
    domain (as a backup). I chose Win2K because in the past, I've had to have a
    Win2K server to install Exchange 2000 tools and what-not.
    Anyway, I installed DNS on this and ran the "configure this as a DNS server"
    wizard, but I'm not so sure that I did everything right. What can I look
    for to test that it's actually replicating DNS info and that if my original
    dies, it can step in? Is there a white paper or resource anybody can point
    me to so that I can see if my new server is fully DNS ready?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    > When you installed Win2003 and setup DNS as AD-Integrated, it set it up as
    > Win2003 AD-Integrated zone, i.e. in its own application partition.
    > Win2000
    > doesn't understand this, and can't load the zone. Configure the Win2000
    > DC
    > to hold a secondary copy of the Win2003 zone. You'll need to allow zone
    > transfers in the 2003 zone.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net

    I ran the configuration wizard and chose the option to make it a secondary
    zone. I was hoping that this was all that I needed to do? If not, where do
    I do this?

    Thanks for your help,
    Mark

    Whip up the properties of the 2003 zone, go to zone transfers. I'd simply
    add the IP under only replicate to these servers. (don't worry about the
    other AD-Integrated DNS servers, that's taken care of by AD replication).

    --

    > When you installed Win2003 and setup DNS as AD-Integrated, it set it up as
    > Win2003 AD-Integrated zone, i.e. in its own application partition.
    > Win2000
    > doesn't understand this, and can't load the zone. Configure the Win2000
    > DC
    > to hold a secondary copy of the Win2003 zone. You'll need to allow zone
    > transfers in the 2003 zone.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net

    I ran the configuration wizard and chose the option to make it a secondary
    zone. I was hoping that this was all that I needed to do? If not, where do
    I do this?

    Thanks for your help,
    Mark

    > Whip up the properties of the 2003 zone, go to zone transfers. I'd simply
    > add the IP under only replicate to these servers. (don't worry about the
    > other AD-Integrated DNS servers, that's taken care of by AD replication).
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net

    Thanks Paul!

    Mark

    No problem!!!

    --

    > Whip up the properties of the 2003 zone, go to zone transfers. I'd simply
    > add the IP under only replicate to these servers. (don't worry about the
    > other AD-Integrated DNS servers, that's taken care of by AD replication).
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net