GPOs to restrict users from installing "unspecified" softw..

How can I use GPOs to restrict users from installing "unspecified"
software on their client computers, while they are local administrators
on their client computers.

We are using a Windows 2000 domain, with windows 2000 servers and
Active Directory
8 answers Last reply
More about gpos restrict users installing unspecified softw

    There is one main program that we use for our company. It is set up so
    that it automatically "installs" when you open up that software. That
    way if the software is updated after hours, when logging on and opening
    the software, everyone will always be using the most updated version of
    the software. To be able to "install" the most updated version when
    you open the software they have to be administrators, right?

    Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do to change the design of
    the application, so are there any suggestions for where I should go
    from here.

    Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do to change the design of
    the application, so are there any suggestions for where I should go
    from here.

    Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do to change the design of
    the application, so are there any suggestions for where I should go
    from here.

    Sounds like poor design of that application to me.

    As Tomasz says, an administrator is an administrator. All you can attempt
    to do is to put enough hurdles in your users' way that they don't try to
    install software. An administrator can always undo anything you do.

    One option, if you were using Windows XP, would be to use software
    restriction policies.

    Hope this helps

    Oli

    tengel82@hotmail.com wrote:
    > How can I use GPOs to restrict users from installing "unspecified"
    > software on their client computers, while they are local administrators
    > on their client computers.

    They are administrators - simply You can't deny something to this users
    on local machine - If you put NTFS ACLs they will take ownership of the
    folders and change them .. so the first thing is to take them out of the
    local admin group.

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
    T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

    I was told that Generally the member of Power Users Group have the rights of
    software installation.
    In additional to "Security Template",anyone can show me how to use?
    <tengel82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > There is one main program that we use for our company. It is set up so
    > that it automatically "installs" when you open up that software. That
    > way if the software is updated after hours, when logging on and opening
    > the software, everyone will always be using the most updated version of
    > the software. To be able to "install" the most updated version when
    > you open the software they have to be administrators, right?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    I'd say you have two choices. One is to remove users from the local admin
    group and deploy updates to the software manually. The other is to upgrade
    to Windows XP and use software restriction policies to make it awkward (but
    not impossible -- they're administrators after all) for them to install new
    software.

    > Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do to change the design of
    > the application, so are there any suggestions for where I should go
    > from here.

Windows 2000 Computers Active Directory Windows