Which Mouse???

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I've been looking at the Logitech G5 and the Razer Copperhead type mice........which option would be best for gaming?????

Thanks guys

Bolero

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I recently picked up the creative labs fatality mouse. I am really impressed with it's performance. It's priced evenly with both the G5 and the copperhead.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Just had a look at that Creative mouse... the only words I can use the describe that mouse is "Yuck".

I have an MX1000 and I could not rate Logitech's mice more highly, my next one will defiantly be Logitech.

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I have a copperhead and I have had no problems using it, and no associated cramp. I looked long and hard between the copperhead and the G5, and basically chose the copperhead because of the way i use my mouse.

If you tend to use your whole arm/hand to move your mouse go with the G5, if you are like me, and generally use a flick of the wrist and hold the mouse lightly between your fingers then go for the copperhead.

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/mouse_roundup_gaming/

http://www.zombienexus.com/forums/cms_view_article.php?t=5156&page=1

alternatively you can read both of the Mouse hunt sections in toms hardware .. part one for the G5 and part two for the copperhead

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/12/the_ultimate_mouse_hunt/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2005/11/18/the_ultimate_mouse_hunt_part_twouk/

I would probably go for the G5 if you don't want to fiddle around to much with drivers and stuff, as the copperhead can be a bit finicky with having to get the new drivers etc to work properly... and I am a copperhead user who loves his mouse.

SinclairSpeccy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
The only problem I have with my G5 is that the weights flew out somewhere when I chucked it (having a bad Battlefield 2 day). Mouse still works just a little bit lighter than I would like, neither issues are actually the fault of the mouse :)

p.s. if anyone knows where things go when they are lost please let me know.

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I have a copperhead and I have had no problems using it, and no associated cramp. I looked long and hard between the copperhead and the G5, and basically chose the copperhead because of the way i use my mouse.

If you tend to use your whole arm/hand to move your mouse go with the G5, if you are like me, and generally use a flick of the wrist and hold the mouse lightly between your fingers then go for the copperhead.

Interesting, I have the G5 and like yourself, I like to flick the wrist and have my fingers arched so that the main "body" of my fingers do not touch the mouse. I have absolutely no problems with the G5 at all and can highly recommend it (I do have large hands though). The added weights cartridge is an awesome touch to get the weight perfect for your tastes as well.

Certainly for most games, such as fps and mmorpg, the G5 is brilliant. :D

I've owned a couple or mice from Razor and have never liked them as much as the quality feel of a Logitech mouse.

All in all, I would say that whatever mouse you use, it's a personal thing. I can appreciate that most people don't have the luxury to test out a few mice before coming up with their own conclusion but if it's possible, test as many as you can until you find one for you. I game in a clan and most of us have different mice - the reason being, not money or how much dpi the mouse has, it's what they feel comfortable with and can use effectively.

Hope you find the one for you ;)

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I must admit siggsy...i had the luxury of borrowing a friends MX-1000 logitech mouse, and the shape is pretty similar to the G5, on that basis i went for the copperhead, plus I have freakish pixie like hands..:-o)

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I must admit siggsy...i had the luxury of borrowing a friends MX-1000 logitech mouse, and the shape is pretty similar to the G5, on that basis i went for the copperhead, plus I have freakish pixie like hands..:-o)

Hehe, see what I mean - we're all different sizes so you picked the one best for you - good to see that you are happy :)

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
IMHO, it kind of depends on what games you play, and how many buttons you need. I looked at the G5 and the Copperhead, but it just didn't have buttons I wanted in the right locations. I tried a MX518 and liked it, but I'm really waiting for the G3 - the G3 seems perfect, at least for me. I play FPS games - COD2, and I like to set up the mouse buttons for leaning and grenades. The G3 comes out next month.

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 which actually got quite a good review from Toms hardware in the ultimate mouse hunt part 2, i posted the link earlier in the post is quoted at $34.99 at radioshack, sorry I know thats $5 over your budget. Initially i almost quoted the Razer Diamondback coz i thought u was quoting pounds ( i am from the UK and the Diamondback is £29.99 here )

sjps220

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I second the vote for the mx518. I have an mx510 which is quite close, and I love it. I haven't had any problems at all. I can only assume that the 518 is better because of its improved optical sensor, but I've read some reviews that say there is very little practical difference. Either way, you're getting a great mouse!

I play fps quite often and I love side buttons. The only reason I haven't bought a G5 yet is because I didn't like the fact that they eliminated one side button. I don't really use that side button too much because its kind of out of the way, but I still like to have it!

Who am I kidding. I'll cave and get the G5 any day now.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Like some of the others have said here, a gaming mouse is really a personal preference. Overall I'd have to say the G5 is probably going to appeal to most gamers but it depends on what you're used to.

I had one of the original razer gaming ball mice (boomslang) and I loved it. Good "click", the scroll also clicked (great when you have scroll set for weapon list, you don't pass the weapon you want), loved the two side buttons (two large ones on either side, not two tiny ones on one side), and big teflon feet.

I'm a logitech fan as well, I have:

G15, MX1000, G7, Razer boomslang (still working) and Razer copperhead and the various crappy MS and Logitech mice (probably 5-6 around the house somewhere).

I also have the Xactmat from razer (gaming mouse pad).

I currently use my copperhead for all FPS games.

TRENDING THREADS