86nick

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Ok here is the problem.One day i just turn the pc on and i have no sound.I get this error "bad direct sound driver". the audio card is integrated on the mobo abit IS7-E and i use XP pro sp2.I tryed averithing i can i uninstaled all audio drivers and install them again and still the same problem.i even dowloaded the latest Realtek`AC97 drivers but still the same. And in device manager i see that all drivers are properly installed and that the sound card is working properly.Than i thought it may be my XP and i even uninstaled it formated pc an reinstall all and still the same "bad direct sound driver" What the hell is that? Is that some driver or maybe my sound card is relly dead? Pls if someone know somethin pls write on the post because if i cant do anything i will buy new sound card in the next few days.

86nick

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If u read the post better u woud have seen that is stupid sound card which is integrated which means i cant get it off the mobo.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
if youre trying different drivers... as far as i can tell, it might be an incorrect setting, the wrong drivers accidently being installed... cuz i had a similar problem before, where i updated my brothers comp, right after installing windows, downloading SP2 awhile back... and windows ended up installing incorrect drivers for his sound card, though windows didnt detect a problem through device manager, but he had no sound at all even still... so maybe remove all the drivers from your hard drive that would pertain to the sound card... and then uninstall it, windows shouldnt have any remnants of drivers to install for it then... reinstall maybe using only the original motherboards drivers then, from the cd it came with if you have it (or original drivers from the manufacturers site, if you dont anymore).

halcyon

Splendid
if youre trying different drivers... as far as i can tell, it might be an incorrect setting, the wrong drivers accidently being installed... cuz i had a similar problem before, where i updated my brothers comp, right after installing windows, downloading SP2 awhile back... and windows ended up installing incorrect drivers for his sound card, though windows didnt detect a problem through device manager, but he had no sound at all even still... so maybe remove all the drivers from your hard drive that would pertain to the sound card... and then uninstall it, windows shouldnt have any remnants of drivers to install for it then... reinstall maybe using only the original motherboards drivers then, from the cd it came with if you have it (or original drivers from the manufacturers site, if you dont anymore).

What else can we say? This advice seems pretty complete. If you try all of this w/out remedy it may be the someone's way of telling you that you've outgrown integrated sound. "Come to the light, my son. An AudigySE is only $30."

Okay, this is going to sound irrelevant, but just try it, you have nothing at all to lose. Check your RAM. If you have 2 sticks, take one out boot up, and see if there's any difference. If not, shut down, and switch sticks and check again. I offer this only because I just recently, this week, read a thread where there was a similar problem and it was tracked down to the RAM, believe it or not.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Try it in another machine.

LOL, that was cute. Dude, did you read his post...integrated sound. :roll:

Yeah, he already told me, but thanks for pointing it out again. The topic says 'Is my sound card dead?" so excuse me for glancing at the post and missing the integrated information. :roll:

IRT topic: Does any sound work, or is it only with one application? Like for example, does the windows login sound play, but winamp or media player not work?

86nick

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I have been trying averything the whole day i uninstaled all audio drivers, codecs and everything that was related to the sound card and instal original drivers from my cd but it was still the same.In the end i reformated pc and instaled XP pro sp1 and i installed the original drivers and ater the log on screen i heard that welcome music but it was realy bad and awful and nothind else had any sound and this is the point when i think that this card not working as it should be.If anyone have any other sugestion just say and i will try it tnx anyway for the help1

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... if the soundcard itself is audibly playing sounds worse, even after trying all that, different speakers too i suppose... ...i would be inclined to think its the physical sound card then... ...do you have even a cheap pci sound card laying around that you could try? from a different system maybe?... cuz it might be abit much to invest in a new card, if it still has the same problems...

86nick

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The speakers are fine and i think i can find some old cheap PCI sound card to see if it works.Anyway tnx for the help.

halcyon

Splendid
The speakers are fine and i think i can find some old cheap PCI sound card to see if it works.Anyway tnx for the help.

A quality new card can be had for <$25...keep that in the back of your mind and don't worry about this too much.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Never do that. Always at least try the up-to-date drivers provided by the hardware manufacturer on their website. Yours are here.

If that doesn't work (often because the mobo manufacturer doesn't care whether your board works or not since they already got your money), try getting the drivers from the chipset manufacturer. You can start that search here.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Oh, poop. Keep reminding me and maybe I'll start remembering to check. Still, it's good advice: Immediately discard any installation CD you find in your packaging. Don't even unwrap it.