Just reformatted - 2nd drive wont show

Tenchu

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I just reformated my computer today and it has 2 HD's. The C drive was the one that was formatted.

After that was done I installed all the usuall stuff but I noticed my F drive (2nd HD) was not in the my computer.

I went to Admin Tools to Disk Management and not even a Rescan Disks showed it there.

I then rebooted and went into BIOS to see if it showed up there and it DID.

So right now I am kind of stumped.

I would like to get the F drive showing again WITHOUT reformatting it. It has many importiant files and things that I can not afford to lose.

The hard drive is a Dimond Maxtor plus 9 - 6Y16 - 160gb ATA/133HDD

Any help would be awesome, thanks :D!

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
There are a few things you can do:
First: Make sure the jumpers on the drive are are configured correctly
Just becuase Window$ recongnized it once doesn't make it so the 2nd time
Second: Make sure that your IDE channels are all enabled and functioning. If you can see it the bios then your just a tweak away from seeing the disk under management.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
When you say "C drive" and "F Drive" your talking about logical drive letters, I just want to make sure that you actually have 2 physical drives attached to the system and not one partitioned hard drive. I don't mean to be insulting, but I have seen some people make similar mistakes.

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
You said you did a rescan of the disks in computer management.

Does the drive appear in Device Manager?

Go to IDE/ATA in device manager right click primary ide and scan for changes then do same for secondary controller.

Rescan the disks again.

Sure you didnt do anything else like change drive jumpers or cable configuration?

Windows XP Sp1 only sees upto 137GB per drive. Did you service pack from MS after install and patch with critical updates? If not this will probably be it!!

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
When you say "C drive" and "F Drive" your talking about logical drive letters, I just want to make sure that you actually have 2 physical drives attached to the system and not one partitioned hard drive. I don't mean to be insulting, but I have seen some people make similar mistakes.

No. it's a very good idea. Do you use programs that make a Virtusl Drive, so you mount it on there?

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Sounds like you killed a logical drive.

If you know for sure you have two physical disks do the following.

Go to start - run and type "diskpart"
You get a command prompt DISKPART>

type "list disk"

If there are two physical drives they will be listed as Disk 0 & Disk 1

Status should be online for both if you have two disks.

Type "select disk 0" - This will focus on disk0

Type "detail disk"

This will give you disk id, type, name drive letter, file system, size and status and info. If info = system then this is the boot disk your c: drive.

Type "select disk 1" to change focus to the other disk.

Type "detail disk" you will get info on the other disk. The disk ID will be different if you have two physical drives. If it is the same you have one physical disk with two drives eg:c & f on it.

Do not type any of the other commands. If you use the wrong one by mistake you will kill the system.

Did you delete the partitions at the start of the install during the blue screen???

Tenchu

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I went to the device manager and I saw a visible yellow ? on a PCI thing and I remembered that I had to install a mass storage PCI thing for my hard drive ages ago. I found the software for it and re-installed it...soon as I did that the F drive showed up...Ty for all your help.