simple and quiet water cooling kit

sumn00b

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Greetings everybody, I'm interested in buying a water cooling kit for my current computer setup which (I think) is running a bit too hot. My current budget is around 100-120. Thanks, and just in case, I'll post the specifications of my computer also.

Pentium 4 3.4ghz Socket 478 Northwood Core
Zalman CNPS-7000A-Cu Heatsink/Fan
DFI PS83-BL (865PE)
1 GB Dual Channel DDR400 Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
ATI Silencer 1
Maxtor 250 GB SATA HD
Maxtor 80 GB SATA HD
Sony DRU700A Double Layer DVD-RW
SilenX 400w-14dBA PSU
5 SilenX 80mm Case Fans
Hosted by a Enermax 6 Fan Controller

Thanks in advance

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
If you want simpicity then go for a kit, you can get them from places like FrozenCPU.com or Performance-PCS.com.

I recomend one of the swiftech ones but they are a bit more expensive, otherwise the termaltake ones should be good enough.

It also depends on what exactly you want to cool(CPU,GPU,mobo chipset,HD, ect)

Hope this helps.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
First, you need to determine what components you wish to watercool - CPU, GPU and/or northbridge? Are you in the UK or the United States? Is your budget also including shipping? There are many way for you to acquire the various parts depending on what components you wish to end up with.

RichPLS

Champion
I have the BigWater 745 by ThermalTake... Excellent quality, and complete kit inc pump, reservoir, dual twin radiator, plus single 120mm radiator, water block and hoses plus fluid is only $160

sumn00b

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'm currently looking to watercool my CPU which is idling at 51C which I think is a bit too much, also if possible, but not neccessary, I wish to watercool my Radeon 9800 Pro also. The only thing holding me back from buying the Termaltake Bigwater SE is because it has a 120mm radiator which I would have a really hard time mounting in my case since it only supports 80mm fans. I currently live in the United States and I guess my budget does include shipping and handling. Currently I'm looking at the Evercool WC-202, What is your opinion on this kit? I was thinking since it has 2 radiators it's performance should be pretty good even compared to a kit with a 120mm radiator.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I am assuming that this will be your first watercooling kit. Actually, as far as preconfigured kits go, it does cover all your functions (CPU and GPU cooling). If you ever upgrade your GPU in the future you'll need to purchase ramsinks for the video memory, otherwise it should prove suitable for your needs.

Overclockers Cafe review of the kit had it on an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and the temp was kept to 48 celsius under load (without the GPU waterblock installed).

Burnout PC had pretty much the same result using a Intel pentium 4 "Northwood C" 2.8 but they had the GPU installed and it's temp under load was about 40 celsius.

So, as far as a beginning watercooling kit, it seems to meet all your requirements.

RichPLS

Champion
It is best to mount the radiators externally, and the BW745 has quite a few installation options, the single rad can mount on rear of case, and twin rad can mount on top... or they can site with incl stand...

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
a crap water cooling kit will never beat the best air cooling system!.....

dont waste your time and money with crap water cooling kits man.

get parts from scratch if you can then you can upgrade and cool other components as you wish and you will know exactly whats going on....

similar to how we buy pc parts and asseble our own pcs....

sumn00b

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Also I won't be doing any overclocking and I don't want to throw too much money into this water cooling system since I will be building a new Conroe system soon. Also I like having everything inside my computer case. I wouldn't mind mounting it on top of my case though, but how can I do so? Will I need to drill holes or do any major work on my case?

-Dctrprks-

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
[/quote]

get parts from scratch if you can then you can upgrade and cool other components as you wish and you will know exactly whats going on....

Wun's wite, It'd be the same experience as building the system, plus youd have quality that you can build on and rely on. You can mix and match, gettin the parts that you really need, startin with the cpu wtrblck. for what it's worth....................man. :D

sumn00b

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Since you said that a crappy water cooling system isn't as good as a good air cooling system, would my setup be considered a decent air-cooled system? Also for a 3.4ghz Northwood Core, is 51C idling normal?

RichPLS

Champion

Would my BigWater 745, I am only using the dual 120mm radiator, and have shelved the other included 120mm radiator, be considered only as good or even worse as compared to air cooling?
I have an Opteron 175 OC'd at 2.64GHz running stable 24/7 at 41C idle at low (silent) fan speed... under load it tops out around 43C... Also, all the heat from the CPU is removed from case, unlike an air cooler would do... cost complete was $159

-Dctrprks-

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yea, it's kinda like bakin cookies with your guests all settin the kitchen. So you turn on a fan and blow the heat around, so everyone can sweat.............. :cry: Heat out of case=good :wink: