PSU with Good Amps

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I just bought 2 PNY 7600 gt cards :D . The requirements on the box recommend a PSU with 22amps on the 12v rails to for the cards. I'm having trouble finding a power supply that will accomodate the recommendation. In the future I plan to upgrade. The PNY 7900 recommend 24 amps on the 12v rails and I'm know there is new cards just around the corner (FYI I'm not PNYexclusive just SLI)

All of the PSU from my local stores seem to have a max of 18 amps. Even on NewEgg I have'nt been able to find one that satifies the requirements.

I have no CPU or Mobo yet but I'm sure a PSU around 500 to 600 watts should work out.

Any suggestions/links? :wink:

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I just bought 2 PNY 7600 gt cards :D . The requirements on the box recommend a PSU with 22amps on the 12v rails to for the cards. I'm having trouble finding a power supply that will accomodate the recommendation. In the future I plan to upgrade. The PNY 7900 recommend 24 amps on the 12v rails and I'm know there is new cards just around the corner (FYI I'm not PNYexclusive just SLI)

All of the PSU from my local stores seem to have a max of 18 amps. Even on NewEgg I have'nt been able to find one that satifies the requirements.

I have no CPU or Mobo yet but I'm sure a PSU around 500 to 600 watts should work out.

Any suggestions/links? :wink:

you do know a single 7900GT will beat 2 7600GT's?

also u dont need 22 amps on 1 12v rail it can be over 2,3, or 4 rails. IE 18amps on dual 12v rails which technically means 36amps but its a little less.

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Yes, the 7900 will beat the 7600 SLI in about 80% of the benchmarks I've checked but, its the first SLI rig I'm building and the price was smokin' (just under 300 U.S. for both).

It's mostly the pixel pipelines...mostly...

I have not been able to get a real answer from anyone locally about the amps questions.

PNY does not seem to want to respond on this subject as well.

Pengwin, if what you say is true (and electronically, I think so) that info should be made more clear dont you think?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yes, the 7900 will beat the 7600 SLI in about 80% of the benchmarks I've checked but, its the first SLI rig I'm building and the price was smokin' (just under 300 U.S. for both).

It's mostly the pixel pipelines...mostly...

I have not been able to get a real answer from anyone locally about the amps questions.

PNY does not seem to want to respond on this subject as well.

Pengwin, if what you say is true (and electronically, I think so) that info should be made more clear dont you think?

it is true.