DFS FRS question

We run AD W2k servers with SP4 – we have a main site and 3 central sites each
with their own DC and File and Print servers. DFS is controlled from the
central site and replicates a folder to each of the remote file and print
servers. The weird thing is that when users from any site connect to this DFS
replicated folder they are often directed to the same folder on another site
instead of their local site. Seems kind of random – any ideas anyone ?

"goundhog" <goundhog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run AD W2k servers with SP4 - we have a main site and 3 central sites
each
> with their own DC and File and Print servers. DFS is controlled from the
> central site and replicates a folder to each of the remote file and print
> servers. The weird thing is that when users from any site connect to this
DFS
> replicated folder they are often directed to the same folder on another
site
> instead of their local site. Seems kind of random - any ideas anyone ?

Type of client? Win9x/NT are not site aware by default.
(Load DSClient aka Active Directory Client upgrade)

DNS setup correctly for all machines? ***

Server(s) in correct site?
Sites properly defined using correct subnets?

Server(s) moved to another site AFTER DFS setup?
(apparently it stores the site info when created)

This Google search [ dfs sites site:microsoft.com ]
gives the following article first (and others):

Distributed File System (DFS): Best Practices and Troubleshooting Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/fileandprint/dfsbp.asp
(most of the bugs mentioned were fixed in the SPs)

I am interested in hearing about this when it is solved.
Let is know if you figure it out or we can help more...

***DNS for AD
(some of this is DC specific but worth checking anyway)
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

--
Herb Martin

Thanks for the reply Herb

All clients are XP Prof, all Site and DNS settings are correct (also we have
no other DNS issues and use DNS integrated zones)

DFS has been removed and reinstalled with servers in their exisitng sites

I saw an article referring to using DFSUtil.exe (part of W2000 Support
tools) to fix this specific problem - ran it but with no joy

Its a very irritating issue !

Rob