Logon Scripts in GPO

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get it
to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
Profile tab, it'll work.

I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I modified
was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I added
the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:

NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%

I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies the
title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.

Sylvan Jonas
5 answers Last reply
More about logon scripts
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Is M mapped?

    Can you access the script? You will need to access it like:
    \\domain-name.com\sysvol\...\rest of path

    I trust from your statement re. the IE setting that the appropriate user is
    in the correct OU, and that the script *is* actually working?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get it
    to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
    Profile tab, it'll work.

    I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I modified
    was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I added
    the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
    located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
    script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:

    NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%

    I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies the
    title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.

    Sylvan Jonas
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Well, I got the script to work, but it only works in VBS format. I can't
    get the BAT format to work and I know my syntax is correct because when I
    run it on my computer, it works. I can access the script. When I click on
    the SHOW SCRIPTS button, it's listed there and that's the one I use.

    Yes, the appropriate user is in the correct OU. As a matter of fact, it's
    only me. I'm trying to test it out before I roll it out.

    Sylvan Jonas
    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is M mapped?
    >
    > Can you access the script? You will need to access it like:
    > \\domain-name.com\sysvol\...\rest of path
    >

    > I trust from your statement re. the IE setting that the appropriate user
    > is
    > in the correct OU, and that the script *is* actually working?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    > I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get it
    > to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
    > Profile tab, it'll work.
    >
    > I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I
    > modified
    > was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I
    > added
    > the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
    > located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
    > script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:
    >
    > NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%
    >
    > I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies the
    > title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.
    >
    > Sylvan Jonas

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Hmmm...Are you able to see an error message?

    Is it just the one line - net use...

    Seems a little strange something so simple is not working. We're missing
    something somewhere...

    --

    Well, I got the script to work, but it only works in VBS format. I can't
    get the BAT format to work and I know my syntax is correct because when I
    run it on my computer, it works. I can access the script. When I click on
    the SHOW SCRIPTS button, it's listed there and that's the one I use.

    Yes, the appropriate user is in the correct OU. As a matter of fact, it's
    only me. I'm trying to test it out before I roll it out.

    Sylvan Jonas
    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is M mapped?
    >
    > Can you access the script? You will need to access it like:
    > \\domain-name.com\sysvol\...\rest of path
    >

    > I trust from your statement re. the IE setting that the appropriate user
    > is
    > in the correct OU, and that the script *is* actually working?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    > I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get it
    > to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
    > Profile tab, it'll work.
    >
    > I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I
    > modified
    > was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I
    > added
    > the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
    > located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
    > script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:
    >
    > NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%
    >
    > I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies the
    > title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.
    >
    > Sylvan Jonas

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    I finally got it working. Seems like it can only run VBS scripts and not
    batch files. Although, I don't believe this to be true, it'll work for now.

    Thanks.
    Sylvan
    > Hmmm...Are you able to see an error message?
    >
    > Is it just the one line - net use...
    >
    > Seems a little strange something so simple is not working. We're missing
    > something somewhere...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I got the script to work, but it only works in VBS format. I can't
    > get the BAT format to work and I know my syntax is correct because when I
    > run it on my computer, it works. I can access the script. When I click
    > on
    > the SHOW SCRIPTS button, it's listed there and that's the one I use.
    >
    > Yes, the appropriate user is in the correct OU. As a matter of fact, it's
    > only me. I'm trying to test it out before I roll it out.
    >
    > Sylvan Jonas
    > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is M mapped?
    >>
    >> Can you access the script? You will need to access it like:
    >> \\domain-name.com\sysvol\...\rest of path
    >>

    >> I trust from your statement re. the IE setting that the appropriate user
    >> is
    >> in the correct OU, and that the script *is* actually working?
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Paul Williams
    >>
    >> http://www.msresource.net/
    >> http://forums.msresource.net/
    >>
    >> "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get
    >> it
    >> to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
    >> Profile tab, it'll work.
    >>
    >> I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I
    >> modified
    >> was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I
    >> added
    >> the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
    >> located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
    >> script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:
    >>
    >> NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%
    >>
    >> I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies
    >> the
    >> title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.
    >>
    >> Sylvan Jonas

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Strange...but if you're happy then I'm happy :-)

    --

    I finally got it working. Seems like it can only run VBS scripts and not
    batch files. Although, I don't believe this to be true, it'll work for now.

    Thanks.
    Sylvan
    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hmmm...Are you able to see an error message?
    >
    > Is it just the one line - net use...
    >
    > Seems a little strange something so simple is not working. We're missing
    > something somewhere...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I got the script to work, but it only works in VBS format. I can't
    > get the BAT format to work and I know my syntax is correct because when I
    > run it on my computer, it works. I can access the script. When I click
    > on
    > the SHOW SCRIPTS button, it's listed there and that's the one I use.
    >
    > Yes, the appropriate user is in the correct OU. As a matter of fact, it's
    > only me. I'm trying to test it out before I roll it out.
    >
    > Sylvan Jonas
    > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is M mapped?
    >>
    >> Can you access the script? You will need to access it like:
    >> \\domain-name.com\sysvol\...\rest of path
    >>

    >> I trust from your statement re. the IE setting that the appropriate user
    >> is
    >> in the correct OU, and that the script *is* actually working?
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Paul Williams
    >>
    >> http://www.msresource.net/
    >> http://forums.msresource.net/
    >>
    >> "Jonas, Sylvan R." <sjonas@brouse.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a login script that I would like to run via GPO, but I can't get
    >> it
    >> to work. If I go to the Users properties and assign the script in the
    >> Profile tab, it'll work.
    >>
    >> I have created a Test OU and created a new GPO. The only setting I
    >> modified
    >> was the USERCONFIGURATION\WINDOWS SETTINGS\SCRIPTS (LOGON/LOGOFF). I
    >> added
    >> the login script to the list, but it doesn't seem to run. The script is
    >> located in the WINNT\SYSVOL\SYSVOL\<domain.com>\SCRIPTS directory. The
    >> script is actually a .BAT file with the following command:
    >>
    >> NET USE M: \\SS3\HOME\%username%
    >>
    >> I know that the GPO works, because I also have a setting that modifies
    >> the
    >> title in IE and that works fine, but the logon script doesn't. Any help
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> By the way, we're using Windows 2003 in mixed mode.
    >>
    >> Sylvan Jonas

Windows Server Microsoft Active Directory Windows