AMD 4x4 and all the hype?

xsandman

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
http://xpentor.com/mamboserver/content/view/76/1/

What is all the hype? This is a DP system, with 2 dual core CPUs. This is NOT a quad core system. There is also only 2 video cards, that are both dual core. There are NOT 4 video cards and it is not a quad video card. This is just standard SLI setup connecting 2 EXTREMELY expensive dual care video cards.

So how is this any different than taking 2 woodcrest CPUs and having 2 video cards connected by SLI. This is not a new CPU, this is just a platform idea that already exists in the server market and can be accomplished with todays technology.

I dont get why everyone is pushing this as the next big thing. Is this just the AMD fanboys finding any excuse possible to say that AMD is better than Intel?

mpjesse

Splendid
I'll tell you what, go to Tyan and look up the price of a dual processor AMD SLI motherboard. Now look at the form factor of those boards. Now look at how many are being offered. Expensive right? Only a couple different models right?

4x4 is designed to bring dual processor gaming to the enthusiast masses at a far lower price and be able to fit a mid size ATX case. Also, Tyan is one of the only mobo manufacturers who makes dual processor boards for AMD. AMD wants MSI, DFI, Asus, etc to make these so they're both cheaper and more available.

Additionally, nVidia's NForce 4 Professional chipset is not meant for gaming. Sure it'll work, but the chipset drivers aren't written to maximize gaming performance. Part of the 4x4 spec is gaming SLI- not workstation graphics.

No one is claiming a revolution with 4x4... not even AMD. All AMD is trying to do is put something out there that will appeal to really hardcore gamers. You won't see many gamers (if any) with those Tyan boards at LAN parties.

xsandman

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I keep seeing AMD 4X4.. what is that exactly? Is that just their quad core CPU?
No, it is NOT quad core. It is 2 dual core CPUs and 2 dual core graphics cards in 1 system. It is pretty much a standard DP system, just in a ATX form factor.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I'll tell you what, go to Tyan and look up the price of a dual processor AMD SLI motherboard. Now look at the form factor of those boards. Now look at how many are being offered. Expensive right? Only a couple different models right?

4x4 is designed to bring dual processor gaming to the enthusiast masses at a far lower price and be able to fit a mid size ATX case. Also, Tyan is one of the only mobo manufacturers who makes dual processor boards for AMD. AMD wants MSI, DFI, Asus, etc to make these so they're both cheaper and more available.

Additionally, nVidia's NForce 4 Professional chipset is not meant for gaming. Sure it'll work, but the chipset drivers aren't written to maximize gaming performance. Part of the 4x4 spec is gaming SLI- not workstation graphics.

No one is claiming a revolution with 4x4... not even AMD. All AMD is trying to do is put something out there that will appeal to really hardcore gamers. You won't see many gamers (if any) with those Tyan boards at LAN parties.

The masses can afford FX's?

xsandman

Distinguished
May 26, 2006

They are claiming it is a revolution. Especially AMD and the AMD fan boys. And with the price of top end CPUs along with top end video cards, it will definitely NOT be a low cost solution, just an ATX form factor solution. And will this come out before Intel has quad core available?

mpjesse

Splendid
Show me where AMD has claimed this is a revolution. Yeah, the fanboys won't shut up about it, but that's nothing new. They never shut up about anything.

I never said this is a cost effective solution. In fact, it would be pretty stupid do blow money on a 4x4 system. But nonetheless some HARD CORE gamers and ENTHUSIASTS will. I never said in my post 4x4 is for eveyone... i said it's for the enthusiast masses.

You'd be hard pressed to find a DP AMD based system at any lanparty or on any enthusiast site.

Believe me, when 4x4 launches some as*shats will buy them. And if you don't believe me, take a look at SLI. When SLI was announced almost every said that no one would blow money on it and it'd be a failure. Look at it now! Even I have SLI. Yeah, it's a mostly stupid investment... but most of us are stupid anyways.

;-)

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
mpjesse = right.

I will add that SLI/Crossfire do provide actual benefits due to the nature of 3D graphics whilst this will not for some time and its effects will be very limited.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
mpjesse = right.
Run for your lives, the end is here!!!

:lol:

xsandman: it seems you have no idea how expensive servers and server components are. This would be a much cheaper alternative to mid-range servers.