Next game?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 10, 2004 4:15:14 AM

Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come out?
Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have plans for
developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall, possibly a
multiplayer? (/drool)

More about : game

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 6:56:22 AM

AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.

> Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
> out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
> plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
> possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)

The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond what
is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'

I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
official expansions for Morrowind.

--
John Henry
www.lowgenius.com

"John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
> AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.
>
> > Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
> > out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
> > plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
> > possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)
>
> The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
> still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond what
> is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
>
> I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
> official expansions for Morrowind.
Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much if
they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions, C'MON
make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they get
around to making a mmorpg ;)

> --
> John Henry
> www.lowgenius.com
> Percussus Ergo Sum
> Remove the SPAMBLOCK and organize an orgy to reply by e-mail
June 10, 2004 10:08:25 AM

"AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
> > AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.
> >
> > > Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
> > > out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
> > > plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
> > > possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)
> >
> > The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
> > still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond
what
> > is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
> >
> > I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
> > official expansions for Morrowind.
> Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much
if
> they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
C'MON
> make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
> am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
> much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they
get
> around to making a mmorpg ;)

I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.

The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
playing environment?

/slobber
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:57:23 PM

bryan K wrote:

> "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>"John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
>>
>>>AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.

>>>The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
>>>still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond
>
> what
>
>>>is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
>>>
>>>I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
>>>official expansions for Morrowind.
>>
>>Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much
>
> if
>
>>they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
>
> C'MON
>
>>make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
>>am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
>>much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they
>
> get
>
>>around to making a mmorpg ;)
>

> I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
>
> The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
> making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
> playing environment?
>
> /slobber

Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.

That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
generation of game come sout.

Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.
June 11, 2004 2:47:23 PM

"Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> bryan K wrote:
>
> > "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>"John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message

> > what

> >>Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too
much

> > if
> >
> >>they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
> >
> > C'MON
> >
> >>make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game
but I
> >>am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a
bit
> >>much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will
they

> > get
> >
> >>around to making a mmorpg ;)
> >

> > I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
> >
> > The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went
into
> > making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a
cooperative
> > playing environment?
> >
> > /slobber
> >

> Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
> game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
> simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
>
> That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
> potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
> The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
> astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
> generation of game come sout.
>
> Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
> good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
> types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
> games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
> games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
> flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
> a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
> decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.

There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project: Tamriel
rebuilt (or something
like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind

merlin
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:47:24 PM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:47:23 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:

> "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > bryan K wrote:
> >
> > > "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>come
>have

>is
> > >
> > > what

>much
> > >
> > > if

> > > C'MON

>but I
>bit
>they
> > >
> > > get

> > > I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
> > >
> > > The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went
>into
> > > making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a
>cooperative
> > > playing environment?
> > >
> > > /slobber
> > >

> > Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
> > game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
> > simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
> >
> > That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
> > potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
> > The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
> > astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
> > generation of game come sout.
> >
> > Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
> > good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
> > types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
> > games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
> > games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
> > flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
> > a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
> > decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.
> >

> There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project: Tamriel
>rebuilt (or something
> like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind
>
> merlin

I loved Daggerfall, it was because of Daggerfall that I patiently waited
3 years for Morrowind to get released, and I bought it solely because it
was the sequel to Daggerfall! ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...

In case you're interested, there's also a group that is making a
Middle-Earth game that I think is about ready for Beta Testing. I do
remember that the game will not allow for much use of magic, though I
can't remember if it's a real Morrowind mod, or just using the Morrowind
game engine. :(

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
June 12, 2004 3:53:04 PM

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> ha scritto nel messaggio
CUT
> ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
> for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...

and maybe even a search for a quoting tutorial ^___^ .....
you can't leave all these lines there, please......
June 12, 2004 6:08:14 PM

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:47:23 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
> Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:
>

> > "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> >come
> >have
Daggerfall,

> >is

> >much

> >but I
> >bit
> >they

> >into
> >cooperative

> > > Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid
multiplayer
> > > game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set
is
> > > simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
> > >
> > > That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has
great
> > > potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a
long-shot.
> > > The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs
are
> > > astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
> > > generation of game come sout.
> > >
> > > Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to
produce a
> > > good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while
other
> > > types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction
style
> > > games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the
first-person
> > > games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game
companies
> > > flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with
Bioware and
> > > a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
> > > decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.
> > >

> > There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project:
Tamriel
> >rebuilt (or something
> > like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind
> >
> > merlin
> >
> I loved Daggerfall, it was because of Daggerfall that I patiently waited
> 3 years for Morrowind to get released, and I bought it solely because it
> was the sequel to Daggerfall! ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
> for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...
>
> In case you're interested, there's also a group that is making a
> Middle-Earth game that I think is about ready for Beta Testing. I do
> remember that the game will not allow for much use of magic, though I
> can't remember if it's a real Morrowind mod, or just using the Morrowind
> game engine. :(
>

> That's my 2¢,
>
> FTA
>

> "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends."

> -Martin Luther King Jr.

The daggerfall/morrowind mod is a project, that is
still on the drawing board. The group of people
numbered 650 at the last count (today)

http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org

merlin
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 8:37:55 AM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:08:14 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:

> The daggerfall/morrowind mod is a project, that is
> still on the drawing board. The group of people
> numbered 650 at the last count (today)
>
> http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org
>
> merlin

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out! ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 10:28:13 PM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:08:25 GMT, "bryan K"
<webmaster13nospam@cableone.net> wrote:

>I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
>
>The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
>making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
>playing environment?

I'm not - the problem with mmorpg is that you constantly have players
dropping out. Thus a player who is lucky enough to have a close
neighbor drop out gets to essentially walk over them for an easy
victory and gain unseemly amounts of strength which gets them an
unfair advantage. Of course if YOU'RE the one with the absentee
neighbor it's a bit more fun....

That at least is my experience with Diplomacy and the Flying Buffalo
games.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:37:49 PM

AJ wrote:

>Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come out?
>Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have plans for
>developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall, possibly a
>multiplayer? (/drool)

Well...It has multiplayer and it sorta looks like Daggerfall with 3D
Characters, and it's set in the Elder Scrolls Universe...

BUT.....

It's NOT the next Elder Scrolls IV- Oblivion, but a spin off for the
N-gage, Shadowkey. Should be out by the end of the year. Should tide you
over nicely for a while they continue work on Oblivion.

http://www.n-gage.com/en-R1/games/gamedata/shadowkey.ht... (old graphics
in there though)

Mark Jones (who's quite obviously blowing his own trumpet on this as
he's lead artist) :)

www.mjonesgraphics.com

!