Next game?

Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come out?
Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have plans for
developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall, possibly a
multiplayer? (/drool)
11 answers Last reply
More about next game

    AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.

    > Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
    > out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
    > plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
    > possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)

    The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
    still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond what
    is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'

    I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
    official expansions for Morrowind.

    --
    John Henry
    www.lowgenius.com

    "John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
    > AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.
    >
    > > Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
    > > out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
    > > plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
    > > possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)
    >
    > The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
    > still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond what
    > is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
    >
    > I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
    > official expansions for Morrowind.
    Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much if
    they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions, C'MON
    make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
    am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
    much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they get
    around to making a mmorpg ;)

    "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
    > > AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.
    > >
    > > > Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come
    > > > out? Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have
    > > > plans for developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall,
    > > > possibly a multiplayer? (/drool)
    > >
    > > The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
    > > still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond
    what
    > > is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
    > >
    > > I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
    > > official expansions for Morrowind.
    > Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much
    if
    > they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
    C'MON
    > make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
    > am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
    > much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they
    get
    > around to making a mmorpg ;)

    I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.

    The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
    making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
    playing environment?

    /slobber

    bryan K wrote:

    > "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>AJ, you know who I am. But you don't...know why...I'm here.

    >>>The last time I was able to ask, I was told that because the product is
    >>>still in early development, they aren't releasing information beyond
    >
    > what
    >
    >>>is already known - that the working title is 'Oblivion.'
    >>>
    >>>I was also told that there will absolutely positively not be any more
    >>>official expansions for Morrowind.
    >>
    >>Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too much
    >
    > if
    >
    >>they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
    >
    > C'MON
    >
    >>make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game but I
    >>am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a bit
    >>much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will they
    >
    > get
    >
    >>around to making a mmorpg ;)
    >

    > I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
    >
    > The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
    > making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
    > playing environment?
    >
    > /slobber

    Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
    game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
    simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.

    That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
    potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
    The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
    astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
    generation of game come sout.

    Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
    good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
    types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
    games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
    games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
    flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
    a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
    decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.

    "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > bryan K wrote:
    >
    > > "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"John Henry" <jhd@inSPAMBLOCKsurgent.orgy> wrote in message

    > > what

    > >>Good to hear. I fear they would be stretching the expansions out too
    much

    > > if
    > >
    > >>they created more. Much like the ill-reputed Everquest (10 expansions,
    > >
    > > C'MON
    > >
    > >>make a new game already!) I've heard nothing of this "Oblivion" game
    but I
    > >>am sure it will kick ass. Making it multiplayer seems like asking a
    bit
    > >>much, however. Maybe in the future when everyone has Broadband will
    they

    > > get
    > >
    > >>around to making a mmorpg ;)
    > >

    > > I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
    > >
    > > The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went
    into
    > > making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a
    cooperative
    > > playing environment?
    > >
    > > /slobber
    > >

    > Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
    > game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
    > simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
    >
    > That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
    > potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
    > The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
    > astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
    > generation of game come sout.
    >
    > Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
    > good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
    > types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
    > games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
    > games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
    > flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
    > a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
    > decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.

    There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project: Tamriel
    rebuilt (or something
    like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind

    merlin

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:47:23 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
    Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:

    > "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > bryan K wrote:
    > >
    > > > "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    >come
    >have

    >is
    > > >
    > > > what

    >much
    > > >
    > > > if

    > > > C'MON

    >but I
    >bit
    >they
    > > >
    > > > get

    > > > I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
    > > >
    > > > The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went
    >into
    > > > making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a
    >cooperative
    > > > playing environment?
    > > >
    > > > /slobber
    > > >

    > > Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid multiplayer
    > > game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set is
    > > simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
    > >
    > > That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has great
    > > potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a long-shot.
    > > The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs are
    > > astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
    > > generation of game come sout.
    > >
    > > Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to produce a
    > > good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while other
    > > types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction style
    > > games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the first-person
    > > games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game companies
    > > flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with Bioware and
    > > a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
    > > decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.
    > >

    > There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project: Tamriel
    >rebuilt (or something
    > like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind
    >
    > merlin

    I loved Daggerfall, it was because of Daggerfall that I patiently waited
    3 years for Morrowind to get released, and I bought it solely because it
    was the sequel to Daggerfall! ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
    for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...

    In case you're interested, there's also a group that is making a
    Middle-Earth game that I think is about ready for Beta Testing. I do
    remember that the game will not allow for much use of magic, though I
    can't remember if it's a real Morrowind mod, or just using the Morrowind
    game engine. :(

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    "FTA" <FTA@fake.email> ha scritto nel messaggio
    CUT
    > ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
    > for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...

    and maybe even a search for a quoting tutorial ^___^ .....
    you can't leave all these lines there, please......

    "FTA" <FTA@fake.email> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:47:23 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
    > Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:
    >

    > > "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    > >come
    > >have
    Daggerfall,

    > >is

    > >much

    > >but I
    > >bit
    > >they

    > >into
    > >cooperative

    > > > Morrowind, without an immense revamp, would make a horrid
    multiplayer
    > > > game. I can see how it would seem cool, but the current rules set
    is
    > > > simply too exploitable. Exploits kill games fast.
    > > >
    > > > That much said, I'd love to see a game set in Tamriel. That has
    great
    > > > potential. But given today's MMORPG environement, that's a
    long-shot.
    > > > The industry is heavy on the fantasy theme. The production costs
    are
    > > > astounding. The outlay costs are spiraling upward, as each new
    > > > generation of game come sout.
    > > >
    > > > Personally, I want more single player RPG's. It's expensive to
    produce a
    > > > good RPG, which is why open-ended RPGs are on the decline while
    other
    > > > types of RPG (like the heavily scripted, go-only-in-one-direction
    style
    > > > games) are on the rise. When real-time strategy and the
    first-person
    > > > games became popular, the RPG genre almost died out as game
    companies
    > > > flocked to the new genres. We had a bit of a resurgence with
    Bioware and
    > > > a few other companies. Looks like we are heading into a bit of a
    > > > decline, as MMORPGs start competing with plain RPGs.
    > > >

    > > There is a modders group that is working on a mod/quest project:
    Tamriel
    > >rebuilt (or something
    > > like that) combining daggerfall and morrowind
    > >
    > > merlin
    > >
    > I loved Daggerfall, it was because of Daggerfall that I patiently waited
    > 3 years for Morrowind to get released, and I bought it solely because it
    > was the sequel to Daggerfall! ^_^ Now I guess I'll have to do a search
    > for the Daggerfall/Morrowind mod...
    >
    > In case you're interested, there's also a group that is making a
    > Middle-Earth game that I think is about ready for Beta Testing. I do
    > remember that the game will not allow for much use of magic, though I
    > can't remember if it's a real Morrowind mod, or just using the Morrowind
    > game engine. :(
    >

    > That's my 2¢,
    >
    > FTA
    >

    > "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
    silence of our friends."

    > -Martin Luther King Jr.

    The daggerfall/morrowind mod is a project, that is
    still on the drawing board. The group of people
    numbered 650 at the last count (today)

    http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org

    merlin

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:08:14 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
    Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:

    > The daggerfall/morrowind mod is a project, that is
    > still on the drawing board. The group of people
    > numbered 650 at the last count (today)
    >
    > http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org
    >
    > merlin

    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out! ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:08:25 GMT, "bryan K"
    <webmaster13nospam@cableone.net> wrote:

    >I am drooling at the thought of simply making Morrowind an mmorpg.
    >
    >The thought of making a new game with the creative elements that went into
    >making Morrowind except in the fact that it is an mmorpg with a cooperative
    >playing environment?

    I'm not - the problem with mmorpg is that you constantly have players
    dropping out. Thus a player who is lucky enough to have a close
    neighbor drop out gets to essentially walk over them for an easy
    victory and gain unseemly amounts of strength which gets them an
    unfair advantage. Of course if YOU'RE the one with the absentee
    neighbor it's a bit more fun....

    That at least is my experience with Diplomacy and the Flying Buffalo
    games.

    AJ wrote:

    >Does anyone out there know when the next sequel to Morrowind will come out?
    >Granted, it's only a couple years old now but I'm sure they have plans for
    >developing some newer version of the acclaimed Daggerfall, possibly a
    >multiplayer? (/drool)

    Well...It has multiplayer and it sorta looks like Daggerfall with 3D
    Characters, and it's set in the Elder Scrolls Universe...

    BUT.....

    It's NOT the next Elder Scrolls IV- Oblivion, but a spin off for the
    N-gage, Shadowkey. Should be out by the end of the year. Should tide you
    over nicely for a while they continue work on Oblivion.

    http://www.n-gage.com/en-R1/games/gamedata/shadowkey.htm (old graphics
    in there though)

    Mark Jones (who's quite obviously blowing his own trumpet on this as
    he's lead artist) :)

    www.mjonesgraphics.com

Multiplayer Games Video Games