Time Specific GPO

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6AB4BC30-DEF2-4B42-B2AA-79EBE1E8672B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Just wondering if it is possible to make a GPO only effective during
8am-5pm?

No, there is no practical way to accomplish this.

What specifically do you wish to make effective
at those times?

--
Herb Martin

Tim

I need to have software restrictions in place only during those times.
Another group of users after 5pm needs to install software. The login is
automatic with the same login account being used for both groups.

> I need to have software restrictions in place only during those times.
> Another group of users after 5pm needs to install software. The login is
> automatic with the same login account being used for both groups.

Then they are the "same people" to the system.

You now might explain why they need to be the
same people?

(Which is generally a poor idea anyway.)

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Just wondering if it is possible to make a GPO only effective during
> > 8am-5pm?
> >
> > No, there is no practical way to accomplish this.
> >
> > What specifically do you wish to make effective
> > at those times?
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin

Tim

During the daytime a whole bunch of computers are for students to access. We
want them not to be able to install certain software (but they have to be
able to install other software, hence the software restriction). After 5pm,
those computers are used for labs, those people have to be able to install
anything the instructor wants (it changes so much that we don't want to be
modifying the software restrictions daily). The way it is set up now is the
computer logs in automaticaly, the reason being no user has to remember a
username or password and we are not at the point yet of creating user
accounts for each student. So basically 2000 students are using one account,
not my idea, I just work here.

> During the daytime a whole bunch of computers are for students to access.
We
> want them not to be able to install certain software (but they have to be
> able to install other software, hence the software restriction). After
5pm,
> those computers are used for labs, those people have to be able to install
> anything the instructor wants (it changes so much that we don't want to be
> modifying the software restrictions daily).

It should be two different sets of people -- different
SIDs and different groups.

> The way it is set up now is the
> computer logs in automaticaly, the reason being no user has to remember a
> username or password and we are not at the point yet of creating user
> accounts for each student.

Make the "default" user (restricted) in the daytime
a well-known name and known password -- you can
even posted it ON the machine.

Make the other one a private password and require
the instructor to change it after each class.

> So basically 2000 students are using one account,
> not my idea, I just work here.

Well, if you are the one task to make it work, part
of your job is to explain it when 'they' come up with
something silly or when what they want to do won't
work.

Techies who can't sell ideas will always be peons,
and those that can sell their own ideas AND carry
them out become designers and architects.

Tim,

As Herb says they should be different people. From there, you would want to
use mandatory profiles and GPOs to control the applications and rights they
have.

I will point out that you talk about allowing these end users to install
things. You have essentially shot yourself in the foot as you have no way
to guarantee the integrity of the environment. Classes really do need a
stable environment where everyone has access. (Believe me, the IT department
must have hated me in college -- should have seen the week I learned the
CACLS command. I did go on to be the IT manager of a school district with
18,000+ students and learned the other end of it.)

I would suggest one of two options..
1. Use DeepFreeze to lock the workstations to a specific Image. This is a
great program and relatively inexpensive.
2. Use something like REMBO to manage PXE images and reimage or
differentially image the workstations on every boot.

You need to control and stabilize the environment.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> During the daytime a whole bunch of computers are for students to access.
> We
> want them not to be able to install certain software (but they have to be
> able to install other software, hence the software restriction). After
> 5pm,
> those computers are used for labs, those people have to be able to install
> anything the instructor wants (it changes so much that we don't want to be
> modifying the software restrictions daily). The way it is set up now is
> the
> computer logs in automaticaly, the reason being no user has to remember a
> username or password and we are not at the point yet of creating user
> accounts for each student. So basically 2000 students are using one
> account,
> not my idea, I just work here.
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
>> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I need to have software restrictions in place only during those times.
>> > Another group of users after 5pm needs to install software. The login
>> > is
>> > automatic with the same login account being used for both groups.
>>
>> Then they are the "same people" to the system.
>>
>> You now might explain why they need to be the
>> same people?
>>
>> (Which is generally a poor idea anyway.)
>>

>> --
>> Herb Martin

alex

I just want to suggest to use mandatory profiles :)
--

TRENDING THREADS