method to restore to a test lab?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 18, 2005 5:34:26 PM

Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
exchange also...
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:55:51 PM

Yep, that's one way.

Other alternatives are:

Promote the test server in the live environment, and then move it to the
test environment. Metadata cleanup the live environment and seize the roles
in the test.

Take an image of a DC, restore it to the test environment and seize the
roles if it's not the FSMO role holder.

Export and import using LDIFDE (probably not the best amongst the other
solutions).

Your idea is the cleanest and most fun -especially if the hardware's
different ;-)

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"JasonMeyer" <jason.meyer@nospam.isd623.org> wrote in message

Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
exchange also...
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:06:40 PM

yeah its going to be on some older hardware that I have lying around. I
figured there would be a repair bit...

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 2D3oHoFFHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yep, that's one way.
>
> Other alternatives are:
>
> Promote the test server in the live environment, and then move it to the
> test environment. Metadata cleanup the live environment and seize the
> roles
> in the test.
>
> Take an image of a DC, restore it to the test environment and seize the
> roles if it's not the FSMO role holder.
>
> Export and import using LDIFDE (probably not the best amongst the other
> solutions).
>
> Your idea is the cleanest and most fun -especially if the hardware's
> different ;-)
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "JasonMeyer" <jason.meyer@nospam.isd623.org> wrote in message
>
> Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
> test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
> system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
> the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
> exchange also...

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:29:44 PM

One piece of advice then. When it doesn't work on the second go...don't
give up!!!

--

!