method to restore to a test lab?

Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
exchange also...
3 answers Last reply
More about method restore test

    Yep, that's one way.

    Other alternatives are:

    Promote the test server in the live environment, and then move it to the
    test environment. Metadata cleanup the live environment and seize the roles
    in the test.

    Take an image of a DC, restore it to the test environment and seize the
    roles if it's not the FSMO role holder.

    Export and import using LDIFDE (probably not the best amongst the other
    solutions).

    Your idea is the cleanest and most fun -especially if the hardware's
    different ;-)

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "JasonMeyer" <jason.meyer@nospam.isd623.org> wrote in message

    Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
    test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
    system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
    the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
    exchange also...

    yeah its going to be on some older hardware that I have lying around. I
    figured there would be a repair bit...

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yep, that's one way.
    >
    > Other alternatives are:
    >
    > Promote the test server in the live environment, and then move it to the
    > test environment. Metadata cleanup the live environment and seize the
    > roles
    > in the test.
    >
    > Take an image of a DC, restore it to the test environment and seize the
    > roles if it's not the FSMO role holder.
    >
    > Export and import using LDIFDE (probably not the best amongst the other
    > solutions).
    >
    > Your idea is the cleanest and most fun -especially if the hardware's
    > different ;-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "JasonMeyer" <jason.meyer@nospam.isd623.org> wrote in message
    >
    > Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
    > test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
    > system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
    > the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
    > exchange also...

    One piece of advice then. When it doesn't work on the second go...don't
    give up!!!

    --

    yeah its going to be on some older hardware that I have lying around. I
    figured there would be a repair bit...

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yep, that's one way.
    >
    > Other alternatives are:
    >
    > Promote the test server in the live environment, and then move it to the
    > test environment. Metadata cleanup the live environment and seize the
    > roles
    > in the test.
    >
    > Take an image of a DC, restore it to the test environment and seize the
    > roles if it's not the FSMO role holder.
    >
    > Export and import using LDIFDE (probably not the best amongst the other
    > solutions).
    >
    > Your idea is the cleanest and most fun -especially if the hardware's
    > different ;-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "JasonMeyer" <jason.meyer@nospam.isd623.org> wrote in message
    >
    > Curious but what is the methods to restote my production enviroment to a
    > test lab? Basically you just need the OS already installed, then restore
    > system state and your files as needed right? Then sieze the FSMO roles to
    > the test machine and away I go......from there I can then do a DR of
    > exchange also...

Microsoft Active Directory Windows