How do I alphabetize all programs?

Is there a way to alphabetize the all programs list without doing it manually?

Go to Start > Programs, then right-click and select "Sort by name".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"TrueVine" wrote:

| Is there a way to alphabetize the all programs list without doing it manually?

I think everyone missed the point. No there is no way of "automatically"
haveing the program list "Alphabetize" itself. You always have to do this
manually after installing any new programs. They are automatically added at
the end of the all programs list and then you have to right click and click
"sort by name" every time. AFAIK.

Hi

Go to Start>Programs, right click on one of those programs and select 'Sort
by Name'.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"TrueVine" <TrueVine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to alphabetize the all programs list without doing it
> manually?

peter

You can also drag and drop.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> Hi
>
> Go to Start>Programs, right click on one of those programs and select
> 'Sort by Name'.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "TrueVine" <TrueVine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to alphabetize the all programs list without doing it
>> manually?

I don't think anyone missed the point. It works for me. Entries with
flyouts (arrows at the right) alphabetize first, then the remainder of the
list alphabetizes.

"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>I think everyone missed the point. No there is no way of "automatically"
> haveing the program list "Alphabetize" itself. You always have to do this
> manually after installing any new programs. They are automatically added
> at
> the end of the all programs list and then you have to right click and
> click
> "sort by name" every time. AFAIK.

To alpha-sort Start Menu Programs automatically:

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

For XP Start menu:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
Menu2\Programs]

For Classic Start Menu:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
Menu\Programs]

Delete the value named 'Order'. Also delete this value for any subfolders.
Then, with the "Programs" key highlighted, click on Edit >
'Permissions...' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Add' -> type your username in the 'Select
User or Group Box' and then deny 'Set Value' permissions to yourself. This
will prevent Windows from recreating the 'order' value and it will default
to alpha sort. This will prevent the key from being automatically recreated.

Based on the tip from Keith Miller (alpha-sort IE favorites).

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k