Direction that PSU Air Blows

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I'm looking at two different cases. One is the Antec Neo HE550 550Watt and the second is the Seasonic 600W S12. One large difference seems to be that the Neo blows air outside of the casing, where as the Seasonic blows the air inside the casing-- Downwards towards the CPU. Seasonic claims that this helps the CPU dispel heat. I'm not an engineer or anything, but it would seem common sense that hot air blow away from case, not inside of it. I will be using Zalman fan on CPU, so I imagine that downwards fan air would cool off the massive Zalman unit, but if we get technical and start drawing basic physics diagrams, we will soon see that that only applies to some of that air. The rest of the hot air travels around the case at its own leisure, presumably circulating whatever dust be in the case as well. Anyone have some insight into the matter? I'm looking for something intelligible, not just comments on what a newbie I am.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I'm looking at two different cases. One is the Antec Neo HE550 550Watt and the second is the Seasonic 600W S12. One large difference seems to be that the Neo blows air outside of the casing, where as the Seasonic blows the air inside the casing-- Downwards towards the CPU. Seasonic claims that this helps the CPU dispel heat. I'm not an engineer or anything, but it would seem common sense that hot air blow away from case, not inside of it. I will be using Zalman fan on CPU, so I imagine that downwards fan air would cool off the massive Zalman unit, but if we get technical and start drawing basic physics diagrams, we will soon see that that only applies to some of that air. The rest of the hot air travels around the case at its own leisure, presumably circulating whatever dust be in the case as well. Anyone have some insight into the matter? I'm looking for something intelligible, not just comments on what a newbie I am.

no,nonononon

all PSU's blow air OUT of the case. no matter where the fan is. its always set to exaust.....well atleast they should be.

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
actually no, that PSU listed above, as well as Thermaltake Toughpower only have one fan. That fan is facing the CPU, on the bottom of PSU or Top--Top wouldn't be recommended obviously. So hot air does leave case. That just what I'm amazed about, how in a $150+ fan its not allowing hot air exit case but rather keep it in.
chek it our for yourself:
http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/BrochureManuals/NewS12Manual1.pdf
chek out the middle of page 4. there's one fan, and its facing CPU.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
bottom line.

All PSU's suck air out of the PC, or "blow air out of the PC" or EXAUST air.

4768PSU.PNG

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Having 1 fan facing the CPU doesn't mean it is blowing towards the CPU. I imagine the rotation of the fan pull air from the case and flows it out the rear of the PSU..

Mine is built like that 1 fan at bottom and the airflow is from inside the case into the PSU out the back

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
a fan blows air does it not, I've never heard of a fan sucking air.

It does both. It sucks air from one side and blows it out the other. In most PSUs there will be a fan facing the CPU but will be blowing the air towards the inside of the PSU, then eventually out the case. This removes hot air away from the CPU as well as removes heat from the PSU. Some power supplies use 2 fans to do this. One will suck air up the PSU and the other out.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
The original ATX design spec had the PS fan blowing IN, onto the CPU.

They don't do that anymore. I'd be curious to see the description of that case, because that is exactly how they use to be listed, and as I said, it's in the [original] ATX design specification as far as I recall. I had an old ATX PS, one made very soon after implementation of ATX and the PS fan was blowing in. The fan eventually died and I replaced it, and turned it around when I remounted the new one. :wink:

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Antec Neo has one fan thats on the back of the PSU, not underneath. I'd imagine that it would be better having a fan underneath the PSU that sucks hot air from within the case and blows it out. It would seem that Neo doesn't suck hot air from in case, but rather cools power supply by sucking its air outside tower. Wouldn't the Seaside be superior to the Neo, since it cools inside case as well as PSU?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Antec Neo has one fan thats on the back of the PSU, not underneath. I'd imagine that it would be better having a fan underneath the PSU that sucks hot air from within the case and blows it out. It would seem that Neo doesn't suck hot air from in case, but rather cools power supply by sucking its air outside tower. Wouldn't the Seaside be superior to the Neo, since it cools inside case as well as PSU?

the powersupply isnt supposed to cool squat. its supposed to supply power.

i HAVE a NeoHE 500w. it exausts hot air out of the case.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
the powersupply isnt supposed to cool squat. its supposed to supply power.

It's suppose to cool itself, and it is also useful to supply air flow through the case.

ryder_22, do you have a link to where it says the seasonic blows air in? ADDED: Nevermind, I see the pdf you list above. It's just a poorly written manual. It means to mount the PS with the fan facing the CPU so that is helps suck heat away from the CPU. It doesn't mean the fan is blowing air into the case.

Mondoman

Splendid
As the others have said, the Seasonic PS sucks in air through its 12cm fan (above the CPU), and that air passes through the PS internals and out the grill on the back of the PS/case where the on/off switch is.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
As the others have said, the Seasonic PS sucks in air through its 12cm fan (above the CPU), and that air passes through the PS internals and out the grill on the back of the PS/case where the on/off switch is.

please use exaust. the seasonic exausts air out of the PC.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I agree. The air is sucked in from above the CPU, passes through the PS and out the back.

IRT Pengwin: :roll: You say tomaytoe, I say tomahtoe

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I agree. The air is sucked in from above the CPU, passes through the PS and out the back.

IRT Pengwin: :roll: You say tomaytoe, I say tomahtoe

agreed, but if you say suck it could go both ways. a fan can suck air into a PC or a fan can suck air out of the PC. if u use exaust there is very little chance to get it mixed up, nevertheless there is still a chance.