Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions on new build, coming back from iraq soon!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2006 9:05:50 AM

Hi everyone I need some opinions on a system build that i'll be building after the price cut in a few weeks....i will be using this for gaming and basic computing ....i dont want SLI now but will in the future as games demand it....i will be doing no overclocking ...i want a board that will be rock solid and will cause me little problems as possible out of the box! what that being said here is what i have in mind:

Asus A8N-Premium
AMD X2 4200+
Corsair 2x1gb ddr
BFG 7900 GT
Seagate 320gb SATA3
*need advice for an all in one combo optical drive
*do I really need a 550w ps with my case for this setup? (future SLI)
*also need advice on a good 19" lcd for around 230$

thanks for everyone's time....much appreciated! im torn between the 939 motherboards.....i dont know which to pick! seems like i have to go SLI to get the options i want like firewire and sata3.....i dont want am2 because i dont see my self upgrading for a while! thanks!
July 8, 2006 10:24:00 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone I need some opinions on a system build that i'll be building after the price cut in a few weeks....i will be using this for gaming and basic computing ....i dont want SLI now but will in the future as games demand it....i will be doing no overclocking ...i want a board that will be rock solid and will cause me little problems as possible out of the box! what that being said here is what i have in mind:

Asus A8N-Premium
AMD X2 4200+
Corsair 2x1gb ddr
BFG 7900 GT
Seagate 320gb SATA3
*need advice for an all in one combo optical drive
*do I really need a 550w ps with my case for this setup? (future SLI)
*also need advice on a good 19" lcd for around 230$

thanks for everyone's time....much appreciated! im torn between the 939 motherboards.....i dont know which to pick! seems like i have to go SLI to get the options i want like firewire and sata3.....i dont want am2 because i dont see my self upgrading for a while! thanks!

Having been 'out of action' so to speak for a bit, there's a few things you should know...

SLi really isn't necessary, but a good GPU is.
CPU's and MB's are all changing, as are CPU's.
Memory is also changing.

Read a bit more then try to decide what (and when) you want.

Personally I'll wait until about April, then get a Conroe based system with 4 GB DDR2 fast RAM and by then the DX 10 graphics wars should've shaken out.

Can't wait? Get a Dell throw-away for 300 or so to tide you over.

My 2p worth...
July 9, 2006 10:49:02 AM

The A8N SLi Premium is a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly nice board, even if you don't intend to use SLi. It has just about every option and feature one could really desire including higher-end passive heat-piped chipset cooling.

I'd imagine the A8N32 SLi Deluxe would be even more so...but if you're not going to go SLi, I couldn't recommend that.

...both boards are frostty-slick, IMO.
Related resources
July 9, 2006 12:18:11 PM

support the troops !

:D 
July 9, 2006 12:52:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can't wait? Get a Dell throw-away for 300 or so to tide you over.

My 2p worth...

prob a good idea. you can keep the screen and drives after if you want then.
July 9, 2006 2:41:09 PM

Quote:
support the troops !

:D 

Heck yes! We'll be glad when everyone's home safe!!
July 9, 2006 3:20:39 PM

Frank..thank you so much for serving your country. There are alot of us here that really appreciate it.

On your build a couple of comments:

1. Optical Drive- I would get 2 optical drives. They are so inexpensive might as well get 2. I usually have one CD-RW and one DVD-RW/CD combo. Here are links to two nice drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106019
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106829

Keep in mind that Blu-ray and HD-DVD are going to be the new thing as well. But you will be able to easily upgrade if you wish...and these drives don't break the bank at all.

Another thing I would consider is a dedicated sound card. The sound they produce is like day and night compared to the onboard sound. Here is a link for a couple of sound cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102177R
July 10, 2006 6:38:09 AM

Thanks everone for your support and opinions....i think i'll be going with the M2N-SLI deluxe...i like the fact that i'll be able to upgrade in a year or so without switching out mobos....from what i've read on these forums...corsair ddr2-800 xms is the way to go for the asus am2's.....would it be ok if I ptu in 667? 250 is so much for ram...the 667 is only 190....on newegg....also if im only going to be running 1280 reso....is that 7900gt gona be just fine?....evga? or bfg? thanks everyone
July 16, 2006 4:43:39 AM

Well my system is a good model, I love it and it overclocks like a champ! One thing though, for the 7900gt I would strongly recommend going with evga 7900gt with 584 in the sku number. I don't know if you are aware but the 7900gt's are having a lot of issues and to prevent and have a card that will most likely not, give you any problems go with that one.

The rest of your system looks oustanding. good luck!
!