Promlem doing import of "distribution groups" in AD with L..

I can´t get import of my exported distribution groups to work.

Scenario. I have exported a couple of DG from one AD, and when I try to
import them I just get some error. I have read that some of the attributes
are "read only" is that correct ? . If that´s the case, wich one are the only
needed?.

Hope some of you can help me soon.

//Johan Vitsas

Johan,

You need to make sure that the DG in question exists already ( so, you would
need to create it ) and then you need to use the member: attribute. So, you
would make 'cshultz' a member - from the perspective of the DG. That is to
say, you would have to be in the DG and use 'member: DN of cshultz'. The DN
( or Distinguished Name ) would look something like "DN: cn=cshultz,
cn=Users, dc=yourdomain, dc=com". This is assuming that this user account
object is in the default Users container. If this account were located
elsewhere, say in the Organizational Unit called IT, then the DN would look
like "DN: cn=cshultz, ou=IT, dc=yourdomain, dc=com". You can not go to the
user account object and use 'memberOf: attribute'. So, you can not go to
the user account objects in question and use 'memberOf: DN of DG'. This
will not work.

Let's see the .ldf file that you are using!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Johan Vitsas" <Johan Vitsas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can´t get import of my exported distribution groups to work.
>
> Scenario. I have exported a couple of DG from one AD, and when I try to
> import them I just get some error. I have read that some of the attributes
> are "read only" is that correct ? . If that´s the case, wich one are the
> only
> needed?.
>
> Hope some of you can help me soon.
>
> //Johan Vitsas

I don´t really get it!

I´ll show you the command I used to export the groups, and the exportfile.
please can you show me how to modify the file and also the import command.
It is a win2000 server I use.

Do you really mean that I must have the groups already created? I thought I
used this command to do this BULK import!

By the way I cant get it work importing the information into the existing
(new) AD nor into the AD I exported from???

Hope for an answer

//Johan

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> Johan,
>
> You need to make sure that the DG in question exists already ( so, you would
> need to create it ) and then you need to use the member: attribute. So, you
> would make 'cshultz' a member - from the perspective of the DG. That is to
> say, you would have to be in the DG and use 'member: DN of cshultz'. The DN
> ( or Distinguished Name ) would look something like "DN: cn=cshultz,
> cn=Users, dc=yourdomain, dc=com". This is assuming that this user account
> object is in the default Users container. If this account were located
> elsewhere, say in the Organizational Unit called IT, then the DN would look
> like "DN: cn=cshultz, ou=IT, dc=yourdomain, dc=com". You can not go to the
> user account object and use 'memberOf: attribute'. So, you can not go to
> the user account objects in question and use 'memberOf: DN of DG'. This
> will not work.
>
> Let's see the .ldf file that you are using!
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "Johan Vitsas" <Johan Vitsas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can´t get import of my exported distribution groups to work.
> >
> > Scenario. I have exported a couple of DG from one AD, and when I try to
> > import them I just get some error. I have read that some of the attributes
> > are "read only" is that correct ? . If that´s the case, wich one are the
> > only
> > needed?.
> >
> > Hope some of you can help me soon.
> >
> > //Johan Vitsas

Johan,

What do you not understand?

Show me the file that you created when you ran the ldifde -m -f users.ldf
command ( or whatever command you used as there are a lot of switches that
you could have used - and probably should have used ). I do not need to see
all of it, just the part with your user accounts - and you should probably
change the names on the user accounts to Jane Doe and John Doe and the like
since everyone on the Internet will be able to see them....You do not want
to be giving out this information in a public forum ( and you might be
prohibited by law from doing such ).

Then, tell me the name of the new domain into which you are trying to import
and show me the command line that you are using. Again, do not use the real
domain name. So, if it really is nkdsolutions.com you might want to change
it to notyours.com ( for purposes of the .ldf file..... ). Again, you do
not want to be giving out this information in a public forum....

You might also want to do a search in this specific NG using my name and
'ldifde' as search parameters. I have laid things out several times in here
on how to do this....