windows 2000 domain connected to NT4 domain

Hi Guys,

I had a win2k domain connected to an old NT4 domain with no problems. Last
week we upgraded thhe RAID cards in both the 2k DCs and they crashed. We
attempted to recover AD from backup, but due to problems and time we created
a new 2k domain with the same name and connected it backup to the NT4
network. The NT4 domain showed only one way replication and as of yesterday
has stopped replicating alltogether - The FSMO PDC emulator has also demoted
it self to a BDC and the NT4 BDC has proted itself to a PDC. Is this to do
with a unique ID for the old win2k domain not matching the new one or
something similar?

Thanks in advance,

Niall
2 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 domain connected domain

    Niall,

    You had a WINNT 4 domain and a WIN2000 Domain. I assume that when you say
    'connected to' you really mean that you had set up a trust between the two.
    Is this correct?

    Both of your WIN2000 DCs crashed due to 'hardware problems'? I would
    suggest that you should have followed the manufacturer's notes on how to
    upgrade from one RAID card to another. With Compaq ( yes, I know - they are
    now HP ) it is usually simply a matter of installing the drivers for the new
    RAID Card ( just drop in the SmartStart CD and install the drivers for the
    RAID card that you are going to install ), turning the machine off, plugging
    in the new RAID card, connecting the cable and starting the machine.....I am
    sure that it is a bit more involved than that, but that is the general idea.
    I would also guess that you did both machines at the same time? You
    probably should have done one DC at a time. This way if anything went wrong
    you still had your other DC...

    Oh, well. All water under the bridge now. I am sure that you know this
    now...

    So, restore did not go well, either? Another no-no. You should check to
    make sure that you have valid backups every so often! But, again, I am sure
    that you know this now.

    So, you created a new WIN2000 Active Directory. Again, I am assuming that
    you mean that you created a Trust between the WINNT 4.0 Domain and the
    WIN2000 AD?

    The rest of what you wrote makes absolutely no sense whatsoever......could
    you please explain? What you are saying is not possible. Are you the one
    doing all of this?

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Niall" <Niall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I had a win2k domain connected to an old NT4 domain with no problems. Last
    > week we upgraded thhe RAID cards in both the 2k DCs and they crashed. We
    > attempted to recover AD from backup, but due to problems and time we
    > created
    > a new 2k domain with the same name and connected it backup to the NT4
    > network. The NT4 domain showed only one way replication and as of
    > yesterday
    > has stopped replicating alltogether - The FSMO PDC emulator has also
    > demoted
    > it self to a BDC and the NT4 BDC has proted itself to a PDC. Is this to do
    > with a unique ID for the old win2k domain not matching the new one or
    > something similar?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Niall

    Hi Cary,

    Thanks for helping.

    Sorry if that didn't make sense. The RAID card problem is a long story but
    suffice to say we needed to get back operational quickly so we decided to
    bring a server up and do a restore. I agree with your "no no's" but
    unfortunately we can't go back now.

    The old win2k domain had a two way trust to the NT4 domain. We run exchange
    5.5 on the NT4 domain.

    The old and new Win2k server is/was called TYNDALE and the NT4 Server is
    called EXCHANGE

    We have this in the event logs:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5723
    Date: 21/02/2005
    Time: 10:25:13
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE
    The session setup from the computer TYNDALE failed because there is no trust
    account in the security database for this computer. The name of the account
    referenced in the security database is TYNDALE$.

    Data:
    0000: 8b 01 00 c0

    And this one:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3097
    Date: 21/02/2005
    Time: 17:12:37
    User: N/A
    Computer: TYNDALE
    This computer is configured to be the primary domain controller of its
    domain. However, the computer EXCHANGE is currently claiming to be the
    primary domain controller of the domain.

    The Win2k DC is showing as a backup in the NT4 server manger console on the
    NT4 DC, and the NT4 DC is showing as a primary. (I don't know if this is a
    red herring or not?) before the win2k dc was the primary and the NT4 was
    backup.

    How do we get exchange and tyndale to replicate again?

    Sorry if this still doesn't make much sense but thanks again for you help -
    any ideas?

    Niall.

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > Niall,
    >
    > You had a WINNT 4 domain and a WIN2000 Domain. I assume that when you say
    > 'connected to' you really mean that you had set up a trust between the two.
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > Both of your WIN2000 DCs crashed due to 'hardware problems'? I would
    > suggest that you should have followed the manufacturer's notes on how to
    > upgrade from one RAID card to another. With Compaq ( yes, I know - they are
    > now HP ) it is usually simply a matter of installing the drivers for the new
    > RAID Card ( just drop in the SmartStart CD and install the drivers for the
    > RAID card that you are going to install ), turning the machine off, plugging
    > in the new RAID card, connecting the cable and starting the machine.....I am
    > sure that it is a bit more involved than that, but that is the general idea.
    > I would also guess that you did both machines at the same time? You
    > probably should have done one DC at a time. This way if anything went wrong
    > you still had your other DC...
    >
    > Oh, well. All water under the bridge now. I am sure that you know this
    > now...
    >
    > So, restore did not go well, either? Another no-no. You should check to
    > make sure that you have valid backups every so often! But, again, I am sure
    > that you know this now.
    >
    > So, you created a new WIN2000 Active Directory. Again, I am assuming that
    > you mean that you created a Trust between the WINNT 4.0 Domain and the
    > WIN2000 AD?
    >
    > The rest of what you wrote makes absolutely no sense whatsoever......could
    > you please explain? What you are saying is not possible. Are you the one
    > doing all of this?
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Niall" <Niall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > I had a win2k domain connected to an old NT4 domain with no problems. Last
    > > week we upgraded thhe RAID cards in both the 2k DCs and they crashed. We
    > > attempted to recover AD from backup, but due to problems and time we
    > > created
    > > a new 2k domain with the same name and connected it backup to the NT4
    > > network. The NT4 domain showed only one way replication and as of
    > > yesterday
    > > has stopped replicating alltogether - The FSMO PDC emulator has also
    > > demoted
    > > it self to a BDC and the NT4 BDC has proted itself to a PDC. Is this to do
    > > with a unique ID for the old win2k domain not matching the new one or
    > > something similar?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Niall

Domain Windows 2000 Active Directory Windows