Do GPU RAM sinks help?

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
My friends tell me I should purchse some RAM sinks for my GPU

Do they really help pplz to OC their GPUs???

My vid card is a 7900GT.... with stock HSF.

All the memory modules on the card are left to fend for themselves.

I have heard that If you attach the ram sinks and you do not disipate the heat off the sinks fast enough it can be detrimental to your video card.

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
:D YES!!! Always ditch the stock solution and go with something better :D

As an enthusiast, I never keep the cooler that comes with my card. Zalman makes a very good GPU cooler and OCZ makes incredible ram heatsinks

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
yeah I was thinking of the swiftec ram sinks......

I cant go to after market cooling because most of them are dual slot solutions and I need all the PCI slots i get get my hands on.

ie the 7900GT instead of 7900GTXs....

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

As an enthusiast, I never keep the cooler that comes with my card. Zalman makes a very good GPU cooler and OCZ makes incredible ram heatsinks

the lad is right! he speaks the truth. it think also zalman HSF come with some ram heat sinks. and loads as well. my room is littered with them at the moment. sharp little buggers.

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

the lad is right! he speaks the truth. it think also zalman HSF come with some ram heat sinks. and loads as well. my room is littered with them at the moment. sharp little buggers.

It sounds like someone needs to clean thier room :)

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Dougie_boy is right in not using the ramsinks (except for that fact that they are scattered about the floor) that come with the Zalman coolers. although Zalman has the best (IMO) HSF they don't shine in the ramsink arena.

I dont like the thermal tape attachment, unless you plan to remove them.

I prefer OCZ sinks and Arctic Silver epoxy for my builds. The epoxy is, obviously, permenant.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
"]it sure helps when you OC, but if you are runnign stock, its not really neccesary (look at those puny coolers on those 7900gts)

7900GT's dont produce much heat. Also the 7900 coolers are surprisingly good.

anyways, RAM sinks help either way. OC or not, cool parts are happy parts