merging members of one group into another

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

- Active Directory 2000
- Exchange 2003
- latest SP and updates installed

What is the best way to merge the members of one group into another group?
They will be mainly global-distribution groups.

thanks

"jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> - Active Directory 2000
> - Exchange 2003
> - latest SP and updates installed
>
> What is the best way to merge the members of one group into another group?
> They will be mainly global-distribution groups.

If you are in Native mode the simple solution
is to "nest groups". Create a third groud to hold
them both.

If these two groups are from the same domain (as
one would guess since you are planning to 'merge'
or combine members) then you can nest both
global groups in another global or a universal.

If they are from different domains you will likely
use a universal -- or domain local if the purpose
of the final group is to assign privileges.

--
Herb Martin

"jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> - Active Directory 2000
> - Exchange 2003
> - latest SP and updates installed
>
> What is the best way to merge the members of one group into another group?
> They will be mainly global-distribution groups.
>
> thanks

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nesting the groups is not an option. I wish it was.

I was hoping a tool existed like the AD Cleanup Wizard or simple
command-line tool that could be used to merge one group into another group.

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > - Active Directory 2000
> > - Exchange 2003
> > - latest SP and updates installed
> >
> > What is the best way to merge the members of one group into another group?
> > They will be mainly global-distribution groups.
>
> If you are in Native mode the simple solution
> is to "nest groups". Create a third groud to hold
> them both.
>
> If these two groups are from the same domain (as
> one would guess since you are planning to 'merge'
> or combine members) then you can nest both
> global groups in another global or a universal.
>
> If they are from different domains you will likely
> use a universal -- or domain local if the purpose
> of the final group is to assign privileges.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

> "jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > - Active Directory 2000
> > - Exchange 2003
> > - latest SP and updates installed
> >
> > What is the best way to merge the members of one group into another group?
> > They will be mainly global-distribution groups.
> >
> > thanks

Write a script.

If you need help -- use the ADSI Scriptomatic
from the MS site.

--
Herb Martin