question on implementing GPOs on an XP machine

Hey All,

I have a GPO on a 2000 AD. The GPO creates a list of favorites for the users.
"User Config\Windows settings\IE Maintenance\URLs\Favorites and Links."

When the user logs-in to a 2000 Pro desktop, the lists of Favorites is
copied to his profile's Favorites folder, however, when a new user logs in to
a XP box, the favorites are not copied to the profile.

I though this could be a permission issue on the XP box, I did try to add
the user to the local admin group. No luck there.

Is there something i need, like a patch or a setting to have this policy be
enforced on an XP box?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Just a quick thought but does the DIRECTORY already exist
at the time of the copy?

Do you check for that or insure that the directory gets created
properly?

Are you using the environment variable for the profile directory
or depending on it to be the "Same place" everytime?

Stuff like that....

--
Herb Martin

"Geoffrey" <Geoffrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey All,
>
> I have a GPO on a 2000 AD. The GPO creates a list of favorites for the
users.
> "User Config\Windows settings\IE Maintenance\URLs\Favorites and Links."
>
> When the user logs-in to a 2000 Pro desktop, the lists of Favorites is
> copied to his profile's Favorites folder, however, when a new user logs in
> a XP box, the favorites are not copied to the profile.
>
> I though this could be a permission issue on the XP box, I did try to add
> the user to the local admin group. No luck there.
>
> Is there something i need, like a patch or a setting to have this policy
be
> enforced on an XP box?
>
> Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

For old users who have logged in using w2k, the favorites folder (including
the ones i defined in the GPO) is already present, but for newly created
users, if they log in to an XP box first, the Favorites folder is created but
the urls, links i defined in the GPO are not created/copied.

> Are you using the environment variable for the profile directory
> or depending on it to be the "Same place" everytime?

Yes, I'm using the environment variable.

Thanks for your reply.