Inter-Site Replication and site links

Elvis

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Hi,

MY situation is as follows: Single Forest, Single domain, 60 branch office
connected via T1 in a Star/hub abd spoke topology. Everything is secured to
the head office and all internet goes through the head office. I would like
to know what recommendations there are for creating site links. Do I place
everything in the defaultipsitelink? I ideally would like to create a links
with 1 branch offices and the head office in the site link and repeat this
for the other 59 offices. basically I am unsure on how to setup site links. I
have a new powerful server at the head office that I would like to take
advantage of this for replication...Any recommendations would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanking You
Elvis

Both of those suggestions are fine. By going with the latter, and disabling
transitive bridging (Transports\ IP\ Bridge All Site Links), you will coax
the KCCs into generating connection objects between the remote site and the
head office only.

Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server; this gives you that little
redundancy if it were to fail...

I prefer to create multiple site links.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the response!! It is greatly appreciated. I am going to go with
the latter. How do I
1) Disable transtitive bridging?
2)Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server?

Once again your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanking You
Elvis

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Both of those suggestions are fine. By going with the latter, and disabling
> transitive bridging (Transports\ IP\ Bridge All Site Links), you will coax
> the KCCs into generating connection objects between the remote site and the
> head office only.
>
> Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server; this gives you that little
> redundancy if it were to fail...
>
> I prefer to create multiple site links.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> MY situation is as follows: Single Forest, Single domain, 60 branch office
> connected via T1 in a Star/hub abd spoke topology. Everything is secured to
> the head office and all internet goes through the head office. I would like
> to know what recommendations there are for creating site links. Do I place
> everything in the defaultipsitelink? I ideally would like to create a links
> with 1 branch offices and the head office in the site link and repeat this
> for the other 59 offices. basically I am unsure on how to setup site links.
> have a new powerful server at the head office that I would like to take
> advantage of this for replication...Any recommendations would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanking You
> Elvis

In Active Directory Sites & Services, you can right-click on a server object
in a site, go to properties and assign it as the preferred Bridgehead server
for the site, which means it will communicate changes from other sites to
servers in it's site. Intersite Topology Generator (ISTG) is a process that
chooses the bridgehead server automatically.

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response!! It is greatly appreciated. I am going to go with
> the latter. How do I
> 1) Disable transtitive bridging?
> 2)Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server?
>
> Once again your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanking You
> Elvis
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Both of those suggestions are fine. By going with the latter, and
disabling
> > transitive bridging (Transports\ IP\ Bridge All Site Links), you will
coax
> > the KCCs into generating connection objects between the remote site and
the
> > head office only.
> >
> > Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server; this gives you that little
> > redundancy if it were to fail...
> >
> > I prefer to create multiple site links.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net
> > http://forums.msresource.net
> >

> > "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > MY situation is as follows: Single Forest, Single domain, 60 branch
office
> > connected via T1 in a Star/hub abd spoke topology. Everything is secured
> > the head office and all internet goes through the head office. I would
like
> > to know what recommendations there are for creating site links. Do I
place
> > everything in the defaultipsitelink? I ideally would like to create a
links
> > with 1 branch offices and the head office in the site link and repeat
this
> > for the other 59 offices. basically I am unsure on how to setup site
links.
> > have a new powerful server at the head office that I would like to take
> > advantage of this for replication...Any recommendations would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> > Thanking You
> > Elvis

> How do I

> 1) Disable transtitive bridging?

Start\ Run\ dssite.msc.
Expand Inter-site Transports\ IP.
Right-click IP, choose properties, and uncheck "Bridge all site links"

> 2)Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server?

Do nothing, and it will do it for you.

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Both of those suggestions are fine. By going with the latter, and
> disabling
> transitive bridging (Transports\ IP\ Bridge All Site Links), you will coax
> the KCCs into generating connection objects between the remote site and
> the
> head office only.
>
> Let the ISTG select the bridgehead server; this gives you that little
> redundancy if it were to fail...
>
> I prefer to create multiple site links.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "Elvis" <Elvis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> MY situation is as follows: Single Forest, Single domain, 60 branch office
> connected via T1 in a Star/hub abd spoke topology. Everything is secured
> the head office and all internet goes through the head office. I would
> like
> to know what recommendations there are for creating site links. Do I place
> everything in the defaultipsitelink? I ideally would like to create a
> links
> with 1 branch offices and the head office in the site link and repeat this
> for the other 59 offices. basically I am unsure on how to setup site
> links.
> have a new powerful server at the head office that I would like to take
> advantage of this for replication...Any recommendations would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanking You
> Elvis

TRENDING THREADS