DCPROMO - demote to rename DC ad REPROMOTE

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I have to rename a DC so I am demoting it and then renaming it - lathough
this is supported, can ANYONE tell me or point me to something that says
that this CAN or HAS created issues?

The CLEANEST is to demote, delete computer account, and rebuild again -
fresh install is always better.
1 answer Last reply
More about dcpromo demote rename repromote
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    consider the following to avoid potential issues.
    FSMO roles: If the server has any FSMO roles, you should transfer them first
    so you can choose which DC gets them.
    DNS: If the DC is also hosting DNS, then it is possible your TCP/IP
    settings are pointing to itself for DNS resolution. Be sure to change this
    prior to demoting.

    If you intend on only demoting to member server, renaming, and re-promoting,
    then be sure the demotion replicates to all DCs prior to renaming the box.
    Rename it, then wait until the rename replicates around before re-promoting
    the box.

    If you intend on demoting down to a workgroup server, then it is not
    necessary to wait for replication to complete before you rename, re-join,
    and promote.
    when you disjoin the box, the computer account will become disabled. You
    can delete the computer account form AD at any time now.
    After you rename the workgroup computer the domain will see the box as a new
    computer joining the domain (even if the original box still has an account)

    If you choose to or need to forcedemote the DC, then you should remove the
    computer account using KB216498 so the domain is not attempting to contact a
    non-existent DC indefinately.

    --
    Glenn L
    CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

    "-->JD" <jd@ms.com> wrote in message
    >I have to rename a DC so I am demoting it and then renaming it - lathough
    >this is supported, can ANYONE tell me or point me to something that says
    >that this CAN or HAS created issues?
    >

    > The CLEANEST is to demote, delete computer account, and rebuild again -
    > fresh install is always better.

Windows Server Microsoft Active Directory Windows