Prevent network users from searching the global catalog

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 23, 2005 5:57:22 AM

How do we prevent users on the network from searching and displaying
the
entire contents of the global catalog in Active Directory on MS Server
2003?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:59:59 PM

Unfortunately, you can't since you have to query the directory for lot of
things, right? You can how ever limit the allowed search scope, turn AD into
list object mode, and using group policies for limit the search options at
your windows desktops. What is the reason for doing this?

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

<rebloomfield@msn.com> skrev i meddelandet
> How do we prevent users on the network from searching and displaying
> the
> entire contents of the global catalog in Active Directory on MS Server
> 2003?

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:22:38 AM

I work in a large school, and I don't want the students going to the
find printers dialog and looking at the dump of usernames etc.

We stopped them searching the domain, but we can't stop them searching
via Entire Directory.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:57:01 PM

Have a look at this article about List Object Mode.
http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=34

--

>I work in a large school, and I don't want the students going to the
> find printers dialog and looking at the dump of usernames etc.
>
> We stopped them searching the domain, but we can't stop them searching
> via Entire Directory.

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:14:01 PM

Hi,

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following GPOs
for your reference:

1. Computer configuration->Administrative Templates->Printers-> Allow
printers to be published

2. Computer configuration->Administrative
Templates->Printers->Automatically publish new printers in Active Directory

3. Computer configuration->Administrative Templates->Printers->Printer
browsing

4. User configuration->Administrative Templates->Control
Panel->Printers->Browse the network to find printers

The detailed information, please refer to the description for each GPOs.

I hope the information helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support