Replace deleted DC

I had one of my DC's crash on me but I was able to recover it and get it
going again. The bad thing is that I have already removed it from the Active
Directory with the ntdsutil utility. How can I bring this DC back up in the
AD without having to reload the OS?

Thanks,
Marty

Unfortunately, The best solution according to time here is to re-build the
os and promote the DC back-again.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I had one of my DC's crash on me but I was able to recover it and get it
> going again. The bad thing is that I have already removed it from the
> Active
> Directory with the ntdsutil utility. How can I bring this DC back up in
> the
> AD without having to reload the OS?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty

How about this approach?

I brought the server home and put it in a swich with another 2000 test
server. I made the test server part of the domain of the original server and
promoted it to DC. I used the NTDSUTIL to delete all of the other DC
machines out of the AD except for these two. I then seized all roles to the
test server and then demoted the original server. I then removed it from the
domain and made it part of just a workgroup.

Now I will take it back to the office and join it to its old domain.

Will this work?

"Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, The best solution according to time here is to re-build the
> os and promote the DC back-again.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >I had one of my DC's crash on me but I was able to recover it and get it
> > going again. The bad thing is that I have already removed it from the
> > Active
> > Directory with the ntdsutil utility. How can I bring this DC back up in
> > the
> > AD without having to reload the OS?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marty

Huh?!?!

What's wrong with dcpromo /forceremoval

Once you run /forceremoval, you can then reboot, and run dcpromo to make the
box a DC again.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, The best solution according to time here is to re-build the
> os and promote the DC back-again.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >I had one of my DC's crash on me but I was able to recover it and get it
> > going again. The bad thing is that I have already removed it from the
> > Active
> > Directory with the ntdsutil utility. How can I bring this DC back up in
> > the
> > AD without having to reload the OS?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marty

I didn't figure i would get the box to fire back up so I went ahead and
removed it from the domain. Then I realized i could get it going without
reloading it so I had to do something. Would this not do the same thing?

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Huh?!?!
>
> What's wrong with dcpromo /forceremoval
>
> Once you run /forceremoval, you can then reboot, and run dcpromo to make the
> box a DC again.
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How about this approach?
>
> I brought the server home and put it in a swich with another 2000 test
> server. I made the test server part of the domain of the original server
> and
> promoted it to DC. I used the NTDSUTIL to delete all of the other DC
> machines out of the AD except for these two. I then seized all roles to the
> test server and then demoted the original server. I then removed it from
> the
> domain and made it part of just a workgroup.
>
> Now I will take it back to the office and join it to its old domain.
>
> Will this work?
>

> "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, The best solution according to time here is to re-build the
> > os and promote the DC back-again.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > >I had one of my DC's crash on me but I was able to recover it and get it
> > > going again. The bad thing is that I have already removed it from the
> > > Active
> > > Directory with the ntdsutil utility. How can I bring this DC back up in
> > > the
> > > AD without having to reload the OS?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Marty

So what should I do at this point. I have demoted it and removed it from the
domain and now it is only a part of a workgroup. Should I rejoin it to the
real domain or to the test domain and then run the dcpromo /forceremoval?

"Tony Eversole" wrote:

> dcpromo/forceremoval will uninstall the AD bits on the box and allow you to promote it back up without having to reload the OS.
>
> --
> Tony Eversole MCSE, MCSA, Net+, A+
> "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C0CC220-DA96-4AC1-B019-FD4471FE6685@microsoft.com...
> I didn't figure i would get the box to fire back up so I went ahead and
> removed it from the domain. Then I realized i could get it going without
> reloading it so I had to do something. Would this not do the same thing?
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Huh?!?!
> >
> > What's wrong with dcpromo /forceremoval
> >
> > Once you run /forceremoval, you can then reboot, and run dcpromo to make the
> > box a DC again.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net/
> > http://forums.msresource.net/
> >
> > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How about this approach?
> >
> > I brought the server home and put it in a swich with another 2000 test
> > server. I made the test server part of the domain of the original server
> > and
> > promoted it to DC. I used the NTDSUTIL to delete all of the other DC
> > machines out of the AD except for these two. I then seized all roles to the
> > test server and then demoted the original server. I then removed it from
> > the
> > domain and made it part of just a workgroup.
> >
> > Now I will take it back to the office and join it to its old domain.
> >
> > Will this work?
> >

> > "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, The best solution according to time here is to re-build the
> > > os and promote the DC back-again.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Christoffer Andersson
> > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> > >
> > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> > >
> > > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet

If you've already run /forceremoval, join it back to the production domain
and promote again.

There's no reason to demote again.

*Note: you should delete the computer account object from AD before joining
to the domain.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Marty S" wrote:

> So what should I do at this point. I have demoted it and removed it from the
> domain and now it is only a part of a workgroup. Should I rejoin it to the
> real domain or to the test domain and then run the dcpromo /forceremoval?
>
> "Tony Eversole" wrote:
>
> > dcpromo/forceremoval will uninstall the AD bits on the box and allow you to promote it back up without having to reload the OS.
> >
> > --
> > Tony Eversole MCSE, MCSA, Net+, A+
> > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C0CC220-DA96-4AC1-B019-FD4471FE6685@microsoft.com...
> > I didn't figure i would get the box to fire back up so I went ahead and
> > removed it from the domain. Then I realized i could get it going without
> > reloading it so I had to do something. Would this not do the same thing?
> >
> > "ptwilliams" wrote:
> >
> > > Huh?!?!
> > >
> > > What's wrong with dcpromo /forceremoval
> > >
> > > Once you run /forceremoval, you can then reboot, and run dcpromo to make the
> > > box a DC again.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Paul Williams
> > >
> > > http://www.msresource.net/
> > > http://forums.msresource.net/
> > >
> > > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How about this approach?
> > >
> > > I brought the server home and put it in a swich with another 2000 test
> > > server. I made the test server part of the domain of the original server
> > > and
> > > promoted it to DC. I used the NTDSUTIL to delete all of the other DC
> > > machines out of the AD except for these two. I then seized all roles to the
> > > test server and then demoted the original server. I then removed it from
> > > the
> > > domain and made it part of just a workgroup.
> > >
> > > Now I will take it back to the office and join it to its old domain.
> > >
> > > Will this work?

It worked. Thanks for all of your help.