fix domain name in AD

Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a new
object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com Please
help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a 2003
AD.

thanks
Mike
mike.fremont@trustile.com
9 answers Last reply
More about domain

    Hello Mike.
    I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    domain name?

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a
    > new
    > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
    > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > Please
    > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a
    > 2003
    > AD.
    >
    > thanks
    > Mike
    > mike.fremont@trustile.com

    I inhareted the domain this way when I started the job. I am not sure what
    the forest root domin name is. Is there an easy way to check and then if so
    is it easy to fix.

    thanks

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Mike.
    > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > domain name?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a
    > > new
    > > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
    > > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > > Please
    > > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a
    > > 2003
    > > AD.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Mike
    > > mike.fremont@trustile.com

    If you want to use a disjoint namespace, you should upgrade to 2003 -it's
    easier to manage. There is better support for this. Although, I've only
    ever read of people using DNS sub-domains, e.g. AD domain - domain-name.com
    but adding clients to site.domain-name.com, etc. I've not read of the other
    way round. Although, one does assume that this will be fine. In 2003
    there's a new attribute called msDS-AllowedDNSSuffixes that allows this
    behaviour. In 2000 you had to do change permissions on the dNSHostName and
    servicePrincipalName attribute for computer objects.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Mike.
    > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > domain name?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > meddelandet
    > > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a
    > > new
    > > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
    > > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > > Please
    > > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a
    > > 2003
    > > AD.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Mike
    > > mike.fremont@trustile.com

    To get the forest root name, use the following script:

    set objRootDse=getObject("LDAP://RootDSE")
    wscript.echo objRootDse.get("rootDomainNamingContext")

    (Paste that into notepad and save as filename.vbs; then double click the
    file)

    --

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Mike.
    > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > domain name?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > meddelandet
    > > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a
    > > new
    > > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
    > > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > > Please
    > > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a
    > > 2003
    > > AD.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Mike
    > > mike.fremont@trustile.com

    I ran the script and recived the following Info"

    DC=domain,DC=companyname,DC=com

    How do i get rid of the DC=domain.

    I would like the domain to be mycompany.com?

    Any help would be great.

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > To get the forest root name, use the following script:
    >
    > set objRootDse=getObject("LDAP://RootDSE")
    > wscript.echo objRootDse.get("rootDomainNamingContext")
    >
    > (Paste that into notepad and save as filename.vbs; then double click the
    > file)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I inhareted the domain this way when I started the job. I am not sure what
    > the forest root domin name is. Is there an easy way to check and then if so
    > is it easy to fix.
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello Mike.
    > > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > > domain name?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > > Christoffer Andersson
    > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > >
    > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    > >
    > > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > > meddelandet
    > > > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add a
    > > > new
    > > > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only read
    > > > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > > > Please
    > > > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to a
    > > > 2003
    > > > AD.
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > > Mike
    > > > mike.fremont@trustile.com

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Realistically, you need to create a new domain company-name.com and migrate
    the users to it.

    You can fudge it from the clients point of view, like I said in my last
    post, but this could cause confusion and additional administration.

    What kind of size are we talking here?

    How would you feel about creating a new forest and migrating user into it
    using ADMT?

    --

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > To get the forest root name, use the following script:
    >
    > set objRootDse=getObject("LDAP://RootDSE")
    > wscript.echo objRootDse.get("rootDomainNamingContext")
    >
    > (Paste that into notepad and save as filename.vbs; then double click the
    > file)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I inhareted the domain this way when I started the job. I am not sure
    > what
    > the forest root domin name is. Is there an easy way to check and then if
    > so
    > is it easy to fix.
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello Mike.
    > > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > > domain name?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > > Christoffer Andersson
    > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > >
    > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    > >
    > > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > > meddelandet
    > > > Currently our AD shows the following domain.company.com anytime I add
    > > > new
    > > > object (user or computer). I would like to get this fixed to only
    > > > read
    > > > company.com The DNS is also resolving to only the domain.company.com
    > > > Please
    > > > help as this is one of my many items needing fixed before I migrate to
    > > > 2003
    > > > AD.
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > > Mike
    > > > mike.fremont@trustile.com

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    The size of our domain is about 100 users and about 150 computers. I need to
    migrate to a 2003 AD in the next month or so. Any ideas would be great.

    thanks

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Realistically, you need to create a new domain company-name.com and migrate
    > the users to it.
    >
    > You can fudge it from the clients point of view, like I said in my last
    > post, but this could cause confusion and additional administration.
    >
    > What kind of size are we talking here?
    >
    > How would you feel about creating a new forest and migrating user into it
    > using ADMT?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I ran the script and recived the following Info"
    >
    > DC=domain,DC=companyname,DC=com
    >
    > How do i get rid of the DC=domain.
    >
    > I would like the domain to be mycompany.com?
    >
    > Any help would be great.

    > "ptwilliams" wrote:
    >
    > > To get the forest root name, use the following script:
    > >
    > > set objRootDse=getObject("LDAP://RootDSE")
    > > wscript.echo objRootDse.get("rootDomainNamingContext")
    > >
    > > (Paste that into notepad and save as filename.vbs; then double click the
    > > file)
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Williams
    > >
    > > http://www.msresource.net/
    > > http://forums.msresource.net/
    > >
    > > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I inhareted the domain this way when I started the job. I am not sure
    > > what
    > > the forest root domin name is. Is there an easy way to check and then if
    > > so
    > > is it easy to fix.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > > "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello Mike.
    > > > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > > > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be the
    > > > domain name?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards
    > > > Christoffer Andersson
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > > >
    > > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    > > >
    > > > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > > > meddelandet

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Stick this into Google, and have a nose at the documentation. Post any
    questions in these groups:

    ADMT | ADMTv2 site:microsoft.com

    --

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Realistically, you need to create a new domain company-name.com and
    > migrate
    > the users to it.
    >
    > You can fudge it from the clients point of view, like I said in my last
    > post, but this could cause confusion and additional administration.
    >
    > What kind of size are we talking here?
    >
    > How would you feel about creating a new forest and migrating user into it
    > using ADMT?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/
    >
    > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I ran the script and recived the following Info"
    >
    > DC=domain,DC=companyname,DC=com
    >
    > How do i get rid of the DC=domain.
    >
    > I would like the domain to be mycompany.com?
    >
    > Any help would be great.

    > "ptwilliams" wrote:
    >
    > > To get the forest root name, use the following script:
    > >
    > > set objRootDse=getObject("LDAP://RootDSE")
    > > wscript.echo objRootDse.get("rootDomainNamingContext")
    > >
    > > (Paste that into notepad and save as filename.vbs; then double click the
    > > file)
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Williams
    > >
    > > http://www.msresource.net/
    > > http://forums.msresource.net/
    > >
    > > "Mike Fremont" <MikeFremont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I inhareted the domain this way when I started the job. I am not sure
    > > what
    > > the forest root domin name is. Is there an easy way to check and then
    > > if
    > > so
    > > is it easy to fix.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > > "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello Mike.
    > > > I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have installed the forest root
    > > > domain, with the FQDN domain.company.com you have chosen this to be
    > > > the
    > > > domain name?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards
    > > > Christoffer Andersson
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > > >
    > > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    > > >
    > > > "mike fremont" <mike fremont@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
    > > > meddelandet

Domain Domain Name Active Directory Windows