Best printer that can use OEM ink?

My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served me
well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer. My
only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
suggestion?

Douglas

I think you mean NON-OEM! OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.In other
words if you have an Epson printer,you use Epson brand cartridges.
"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
> me
> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
> My
> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
> suggestion?

I use the Epson C84 to print a lot does a great job on handout papers.
I use www.printpal.com
their carts are very good.
and cheap
also see
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
> me
> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
> My
> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
> suggestion?

If you want to refill, Canon is the way to go. It's WAY simple and no
resetting required.
The PIXMA printers are all outstanding values for features and operating
costs. I refill my Canon tanks for less than $1 each.

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
me
> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
My
> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
> suggestion?

BURT

A bit of confusion - OEM inks are original manufacturer - Epson in your
case. Before you give up on your printer send an email to Arthur Entlich at
artistic@telus.net and ask him to send you his instructions on cleaning
Epson print heads. If you want to spend a few hours and try to fix it you
may be able to bring it back to life. I had a similar problem with my Epson
printer and Arthur's instructions, and a bit of work restored it to
excellent condition. I don't know the sources, but there are good
aftermarket ink cartridges for Epson printers. Be sure to inquired on this
NG about which ones people have had success with as there are also junk inks
out there as well. I use a Canon i960 printer with aftermarket inks with
which I refill cartridges and the prints are just as good as with OEM inks.

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
> me
> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
> My
> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
> suggestion?

BURT

I did make an effort to refill epson carts for my Epson Stylus 900, but it
was more difficult than the Canon carts to refill, even with no chip in the
cart, and the colors just didn't come out well. Might have been my poor
technique. Refilling the carts for my canon i960 is easy, quick, and almost
no mess at all. Dan's right - for refilling Canon is the way to go.

Douglas wrote:

>I think you mean NON-OEM! OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.In other
>words if you have an Epson printer,you use Epson brand cartridges.

That sounds like sense.

retsoppot wrote:

>I use the Epson C84 to print a lot does a great job on handout papers.
>I use www.printpal.com
>their carts are very good.
>and cheap

And they do not tell you what you are buying.

Burt wrote:

>I did make an effort to refill epson carts for my Epson Stylus 900, but it
>was more difficult than the Canon carts to refill, even with no chip in the
>cart, and the colors just didn't come out well. Might have been my poor
>technique.

It is because Epson ink is made for the printer.

>Refilling the carts for my canon i960 is easy, quick, and almost
>no mess at all. Dan's right - for refilling Canon is the way to go.
>
>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
>

>>If you want to refill, Canon is the way to go. It's WAY simple and no
>>resetting required.
>>The PIXMA printers are all outstanding values for features and operating
>>costs. I refill my Canon tanks for less than $1 each.
>>

>>"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
>>>

>>me
>>

>>>well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
>>>

>>My
>>

>>>only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
>>>printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
>>>suggestion?

Hi Ar,

I assume you mean non-OEM or 3rd party inks. OEM means "Original
Equipment Manufacturer" which would be Epson in this case.

Unfortunately, in the Epson line up, there aren't any printers made
today that do not use a chipped cartridge. If you want to keep with
Epson, and want to use 3rd party inks, you will need to either buy the
cartridges prefilled, get them refilled by someone, or buy a chip
resetter to refill them yourself. The newer individual color Epson
cartridges are more involved to refill than the old several color types.

There are several websites that discuss this.

Chip resetters can be purchased for s few bucks on eBay these days.

In other brands, the easiest to refill is Canon. In fact, 3rd party
inks may provide more longevity against fading than Canon's own inks at
this time.

Don't expect the Canon heads to last anything like 10 years without
replacement. Although Canon is suggesting the heads are longer lasting
than other thermal type (and probably are considerably so) they won't
have the lifespan of a piezo head as used in Epson printers.

Lastly, your Color STylus, although long in the tooth, and slow, may
still be repairable. Please email me using the address in the header
and request the Epson Cleaning Manual. I will email you a copy for
free, and it may allow you to revive the yellow head. The original
Epson Stylus Color was a well built and rugged machine, and may give you
more years of service if the head can ge dealt with.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Hi Ar,
>
> I assume you mean non-OEM or 3rd party inks. OEM means "Original
> Equipment Manufacturer" which would be Epson in this case.
>
> Unfortunately, in the Epson line up, there aren't any printers made
> today that do not use a chipped cartridge. If you want to keep with
> Epson, and want to use 3rd party inks, you will need to either buy the
> cartridges prefilled, get them refilled by someone, or buy a chip
> resetter to refill them yourself. The newer individual color Epson
> cartridges are more involved to refill than the old several color types.
>
> There are several websites that discuss this.
>
> Chip resetters can be purchased for s few bucks on eBay these days.
>
> In other brands, the easiest to refill is Canon. In fact, 3rd party
> inks may provide more longevity against fading than Canon's own inks
> at this time.
>
> Don't expect the Canon heads to last anything like 10 years without
> replacement.

Who Cares. Would you want to use an inkjet printer that was designed,
engineered and built in 1995 today. Of course not. So why do you think
you would want to use an inkjet purchased today in 2015. Going even
further, there are computers today that only have USB ports so printers
that old cannot even be connected unless you get a special card.

> Although Canon is suggesting the heads are longer lasting than other
> thermal type (and probably are considerably so) they won't have the
> lifespan of a piezo head as used in Epson printers.

But they hopefully will last the economic life of the printer.

> Lastly, your Color STylus, although long in the tooth, and slow, may
> still be repairable.

That is not economically justifiable.

> Please email me using the address in the header and request the Epson
> Cleaning Manual. I will email you a copy for free, and it may allow
> you to revive the yellow head.

However, doing it yourself might be the only option that makes any sense.

> The original Epson Stylus Color was a well built and rugged machine,
> and may give you more years of service if the head can ge dealt with.
>

> Art
>
> Ar Q wrote:
>
>> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has
>> served me
>> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color
>> printer. My
>> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
>> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
>> suggestion?

BURT

Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household materials
and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer and an hour of
his time might restore it to near-new function I don't understand why you
waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't know Art Entlich, but
I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real work horse of a printer,
with his head clog information. Why continually diss the guy when he is
extremely knowledgeable and spends lots of time helping people on this NG.

Burt wrote:

>Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
>probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
>guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household materials
>and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer and an hour of
>his time might restore it to near-new function I don't understand why you
>waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't know Art Entlich, but
>I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real work horse of a printer,
>with his head clog information.

Then you should ride the horse instead of buying a Canon.

>Why continually diss the guy when he is
>extremely knowledgeable and spends lots of time helping people on this NG.

>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Ar,
>>>
>>>I assume you mean non-OEM or 3rd party inks. OEM means "Original
>>>Equipment Manufacturer" which would be Epson in this case.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, in the Epson line up, there aren't any printers made today
>>>that do not use a chipped cartridge. If you want to keep with Epson, and
>>>want to use 3rd party inks, you will need to either buy the cartridges
>>>prefilled, get them refilled by someone, or buy a chip resetter to refill
>>>them yourself. The newer individual color Epson cartridges are more
>>>involved to refill than the old several color types.
>>>
>>>There are several websites that discuss this.
>>>
>>>Chip resetters can be purchased for s few bucks on eBay these days.
>>>
>>>In other brands, the easiest to refill is Canon. In fact, 3rd party inks
>>>may provide more longevity against fading than Canon's own inks at this
>>>time.
>>>
>>>Don't expect the Canon heads to last anything like 10 years without
>>>replacement.
>>>

>>Who Cares. Would you want to use an inkjet printer that was designed,
>>engineered and built in 1995 today. Of course not. So why do you think
>>you would want to use an inkjet purchased today in 2015. Going even
>>further, there are computers today that only have USB ports so printers
>>that old cannot even be connected unless you get a special card.
>>

>>>Although Canon is suggesting the heads are longer lasting than other
>>>thermal type (and probably are considerably so) they won't have the
>>>lifespan of a piezo head as used in Epson printers.
>>>

>>But they hopefully will last the economic life of the printer.
>>

>>>Lastly, your Color STylus, although long in the tooth, and slow, may
>>>still be repairable.
>>>

>>That is not economically justifiable.
>>

>>>Please email me using the address in the header and request the Epson
>>>Cleaning Manual. I will email you a copy for free, and it may allow you
>>>to revive the yellow head.
>>>

>>However, doing it yourself might be the only option that makes any sense.
>>

>>>The original Epson Stylus Color was a well built and rugged machine, and
>>>may give you more years of service if the head can ge dealt with.
>>>

>>>Art

BURT

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
>>probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
>>guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household
>>materials and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer
>>and an hour of his time might restore it to near-new function I don't
>>understand why you waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't
>>know Art Entlich, but I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real
>>work horse of a printer, with his head clog information.
>
> Then you should ride the horse instead of buying a Canon.

(snip)

Thanks for the suggestion - I still use it in addition to my Canon. No
problems. I also use HP printers currently as well.