Best printer that can use OEM ink?

My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served me
well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer. My
only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
suggestion?
13 answers Last reply
More about best printer

    I think you mean NON-OEM! OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.In other
    words if you have an Epson printer,you use Epson brand cartridges.
    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    > My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
    > me
    > well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
    > My
    > only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    > printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    > suggestion?

    I use the Epson C84 to print a lot does a great job on handout papers.
    I use www.printpal.com
    their carts are very good.
    and cheap
    also see
    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    > My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
    > me
    > well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
    > My
    > only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    > printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    > suggestion?

    If you want to refill, Canon is the way to go. It's WAY simple and no
    resetting required.
    The PIXMA printers are all outstanding values for features and operating
    costs. I refill my Canon tanks for less than $1 each.

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    > My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
    me
    > well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
    My
    > only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    > printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    > suggestion?

    A bit of confusion - OEM inks are original manufacturer - Epson in your
    case. Before you give up on your printer send an email to Arthur Entlich at
    artistic@telus.net and ask him to send you his instructions on cleaning
    Epson print heads. If you want to spend a few hours and try to fix it you
    may be able to bring it back to life. I had a similar problem with my Epson
    printer and Arthur's instructions, and a bit of work restored it to
    excellent condition. I don't know the sources, but there are good
    aftermarket ink cartridges for Epson printers. Be sure to inquired on this
    NG about which ones people have had success with as there are also junk inks
    out there as well. I use a Canon i960 printer with aftermarket inks with
    which I refill cartridges and the prints are just as good as with OEM inks.

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    > My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
    > me
    > well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
    > My
    > only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    > printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    > suggestion?

    I did make an effort to refill epson carts for my Epson Stylus 900, but it
    was more difficult than the Canon carts to refill, even with no chip in the
    cart, and the colors just didn't come out well. Might have been my poor
    technique. Refilling the carts for my canon i960 is easy, quick, and almost
    no mess at all. Dan's right - for refilling Canon is the way to go.

    Douglas wrote:

    >I think you mean NON-OEM! OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.In other
    >words if you have an Epson printer,you use Epson brand cartridges.

    That sounds like sense.

    retsoppot wrote:

    >I use the Epson C84 to print a lot does a great job on handout papers.
    >I use www.printpal.com
    >their carts are very good.
    >and cheap

    And they do not tell you what you are buying.

    Burt wrote:

    >I did make an effort to refill epson carts for my Epson Stylus 900, but it
    >was more difficult than the Canon carts to refill, even with no chip in the
    >cart, and the colors just didn't come out well. Might have been my poor
    >technique.

    It is because Epson ink is made for the printer.

    >Refilling the carts for my canon i960 is easy, quick, and almost
    >no mess at all. Dan's right - for refilling Canon is the way to go.
    >
    >"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>If you want to refill, Canon is the way to go. It's WAY simple and no
    >>resetting required.
    >>The PIXMA printers are all outstanding values for features and operating
    >>costs. I refill my Canon tanks for less than $1 each.
    >>

    >>"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served
    >>>

    >>me
    >>

    >>>well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer.
    >>>

    >>My
    >>

    >>>only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    >>>printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    >>>suggestion?

    Hi Ar,

    I assume you mean non-OEM or 3rd party inks. OEM means "Original
    Equipment Manufacturer" which would be Epson in this case.

    Unfortunately, in the Epson line up, there aren't any printers made
    today that do not use a chipped cartridge. If you want to keep with
    Epson, and want to use 3rd party inks, you will need to either buy the
    cartridges prefilled, get them refilled by someone, or buy a chip
    resetter to refill them yourself. The newer individual color Epson
    cartridges are more involved to refill than the old several color types.

    There are several websites that discuss this.

    Chip resetters can be purchased for s few bucks on eBay these days.

    In other brands, the easiest to refill is Canon. In fact, 3rd party
    inks may provide more longevity against fading than Canon's own inks at
    this time.

    Don't expect the Canon heads to last anything like 10 years without
    replacement. Although Canon is suggesting the heads are longer lasting
    than other thermal type (and probably are considerably so) they won't
    have the lifespan of a piezo head as used in Epson printers.

    Lastly, your Color STylus, although long in the tooth, and slow, may
    still be repairable. Please email me using the address in the header
    and request the Epson Cleaning Manual. I will email you a copy for
    free, and it may allow you to revive the yellow head. The original
    Epson Stylus Color was a well built and rugged machine, and may give you
    more years of service if the head can ge dealt with.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > Hi Ar,
    >
    > I assume you mean non-OEM or 3rd party inks. OEM means "Original
    > Equipment Manufacturer" which would be Epson in this case.
    >
    > Unfortunately, in the Epson line up, there aren't any printers made
    > today that do not use a chipped cartridge. If you want to keep with
    > Epson, and want to use 3rd party inks, you will need to either buy the
    > cartridges prefilled, get them refilled by someone, or buy a chip
    > resetter to refill them yourself. The newer individual color Epson
    > cartridges are more involved to refill than the old several color types.
    >
    > There are several websites that discuss this.
    >
    > Chip resetters can be purchased for s few bucks on eBay these days.
    >
    > In other brands, the easiest to refill is Canon. In fact, 3rd party
    > inks may provide more longevity against fading than Canon's own inks
    > at this time.
    >
    > Don't expect the Canon heads to last anything like 10 years without
    > replacement.

    Who Cares. Would you want to use an inkjet printer that was designed,
    engineered and built in 1995 today. Of course not. So why do you think
    you would want to use an inkjet purchased today in 2015. Going even
    further, there are computers today that only have USB ports so printers
    that old cannot even be connected unless you get a special card.

    > Although Canon is suggesting the heads are longer lasting than other
    > thermal type (and probably are considerably so) they won't have the
    > lifespan of a piezo head as used in Epson printers.

    But they hopefully will last the economic life of the printer.

    > Lastly, your Color STylus, although long in the tooth, and slow, may
    > still be repairable.

    That is not economically justifiable.

    > Please email me using the address in the header and request the Epson
    > Cleaning Manual. I will email you a copy for free, and it may allow
    > you to revive the yellow head.

    However, doing it yourself might be the only option that makes any sense.

    > The original Epson Stylus Color was a well built and rugged machine,
    > and may give you more years of service if the head can ge dealt with.
    >

    > Art
    >
    > Ar Q wrote:
    >
    >> My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has
    >> served me
    >> well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color
    >> printer. My
    >> only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new
    >> printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any
    >> suggestion?

    Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
    probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
    guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household materials
    and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer and an hour of
    his time might restore it to near-new function I don't understand why you
    waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't know Art Entlich, but
    I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real work horse of a printer,
    with his head clog information. Why continually diss the guy when he is
    extremely knowledgeable and spends lots of time helping people on this NG.

    Burt wrote:

    >Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
    >probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
    >guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household materials
    >and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer and an hour of
    >his time might restore it to near-new function I don't understand why you
    >waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't know Art Entlich, but
    >I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real work horse of a printer,
    >with his head clog information.

    Then you should ride the horse instead of buying a Canon.

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>Menacetyke - Please pay attention and try to remember what you read - Ar
    >>probably has a head clog and Art Entlich, on request, freely distributes a
    >>guide to clearing Epson head clogs with pennies worth of household
    >>materials and in the privacy of your own home. If Ar likes his printer
    >>and an hour of his time might restore it to near-new function I don't
    >>understand why you waste the time to criticize either Art or Ar. I don't
    >>know Art Entlich, but I did restore an Epson Stylus 900 printer, a real
    >>work horse of a printer, with his head clog information.
    >
    > Then you should ride the horse instead of buying a Canon.

    (snip)

    Thanks for the suggestion - I still use it in addition to my Canon. No
    problems. I also use HP printers currently as well.

Printers OEM Peripherals