amd opteron just as good as conroe????

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
alright, ive heard from multiple sources that the opteron processor from amd has outperformed intel's new beast, as well as amd's current beasts, the fx series. the thing that im confused about is that its still a 939 socket....but it seems as if thats not a problem. and another thing.....ive searched newegg...and i cant find mobo's that mention opteron as an option.....ive become very interested in this processor based upon what i have heard....if anyone knows about opterons(please now intel fanboys or "GET CONROE!!" type people respond) compared to the other processor. i want legitamite information because i am still up in the air about what to get.

RichPLS

Champion
False, Conroe's Core2Duo will leave Opteron 1xx dual or single cores in the dust... not to mention costing much less to obtain...
Conroe will run cooler, use less electricity, overclock much much higher, and at stock speeds will outperform any Opteron 939 CPU's...

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
costing much less??? yeah right! conroe's wont be available for a reasonable price for a long time because of guaranteed low supply and extremely high demand...economics 101

RichPLS

Champion
Do you have a link for that... Intel was kind enough to provide a pricing link stating that Conroe will be available in a couple of weeks, and prices will range from $183 lower models to $520 high end desktop (non Ext Edition)...
Also... they are at several retailers now for preorder, minus those huge markups you so adamently imply...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
While I don't think Conroe's pricing will be too far off from Intel's statements, I do think availability will be short due to very high demand for these new chips.

RichPLS

Champion
you are quite a jerk combined with sounding like an uninformed and ignorant fanboi at that, but no need to apologize for your genetic evolution... but wrong your rantings are...

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
costing much less??? yeah right! conroe's wont be available for a reasonable price for a long time because of guaranteed low supply and extremely high demand...economics 101

Why ask the question in the first place when you have already made up your mind and won't listen to what has already been shown and proven time and time again. If you wanted an open topic then you yourself should remain open minded and look at all the facts that have been already brought to the table in mainy different threads already and some of them have been sticked so you can see them at the top of the CPU section.

It might be hard for some people to grasp this, but AMD has lost this round. Wait for there future CPU's to come and we will see who wins that round.

Here's a link for preordering in the UK. Even tho the prices are in pounds, it does give you a good look that they are fairly close to prices in US.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eoverclockers%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=duo%20e6300%20core%202&PN=Intel_Pentium_Core_Duo2%2ehtml%23aCP_2d126_2dIN#aCP_2d126_2dIN

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
actually...im not a jerk at all, nor a fanboy...if i get an amd...it will be my first..and if i get conroe..it will be my FIFTH intel...just so u know so dont assume anything about me. also, i am extremely open minded as well which is y i cant decide between conroe and am2. but with the whole thing about high prices and hard to find conroes....im just going from past experiences from my well..addiction, console gaming...ala ps2 and xbox 360...hell, even 360 PREORDERS werent completely met until march/april in most places...at least around here anyways. i know its a completely different market/sitation, and as far as the pricing of the 2 when they were released, was what they were advertised. but they were so damn hard to find and the only way u could get them was via ppl selling them online. i didnt mean to sound harsh or anything, but the fact of the matter is, even though im prolly wrong about the whole pricing deal, at the very least, conroes will be extremelly hard to find as well as the mobos....but not as bad for those. im just frustrated at always looking foward to something and then its not available when its supposed to be. im still so undecided on what to get for my gaming build its unbelievable....am2 or conroe...conroe or am2....how am i supposed to decide when so many ppl are going back and forth with it. regardless of what happens..im waitng until later this month to see how things go.

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Intel and AMD's server chips are 99% identical to their desktop chips. The execution cores are identical between Core and Xeon, and between Athlon and Opteron. Its only slight differences that distinguish them. The main difference is the ability to do SMP ie multiple cpus in one machine. Server chips sometimes have more cache or faster FSB, and usually are more stable and reliable because they are expected to be run 24/7. Thats about it.

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
actually...im not a jerk at all, nor a fanboy...if i get an amd...it will be my first..and if i get conroe..it will be my FIFTH intel...just so u know so dont assume anything about me. also, i am extremely open minded as well which is y i cant decide between conroe and am2. but with the whole thing about high prices and hard to find conroes....im just going from past experiences from my well..addiction, console gaming...ala ps2 and xbox 360...hell, even 360 PREORDERS werent completely met until march/april in most places...at least around here anyways. i know its a completely different market/sitation, and as far as the pricing of the 2 when they were released, was what they were advertised. but they were so damn hard to find and the only way u could get them was via ppl selling them online. i didnt mean to sound harsh or anything, but the fact of the matter is, even though im prolly wrong about the whole pricing deal, at the very least, conroes will be extremelly hard to find as well as the mobos....but not as bad for those. im just frustrated at always looking foward to something and then its not available when its supposed to be. im still so undecided on what to get for my gaming build its unbelievable....am2 or conroe...conroe or am2....how am i supposed to decide when so many ppl are going back and forth with it. regardless of what happens..im waitng until later this month to see how things go.

I can feel you fully about the 360 and how much they messed that one. But they knew it was going to happen and they still did it. With the price going up that didn't happen. Well unless you went to ebay to try and buy one. That was just to funny to watch people pay that much for an xbox 360.

Intel see them filling out all there high level suppliers before they even start to worry about the little stores in cities. But I don't see the prices being to high because of demand. Unless another xbox 360 happens like on ebay. But Intel has proven through out the years that it can produce large numbers of CPU's without breaking a sweat. But I see them trying to clear out most of there P4 stocks before they really do start producing thier new archs. But I will be waiting until next year personaly before I upgrade my system. Mainly to let most of the bugs get worked out for all the new tech that is coming out this year.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I can feel you fully about the 360 and how much they messed that one. But they knew it was going to happen and they still did it. With the price going up that didn't happen. Well unless you went to ebay to try and buy one. That was just to funny to watch people pay that much for an xbox 360.

Intel see them filling out all there high level suppliers before they even start to worry about the little stores in cities. But I don't see the prices being to high because of demand. Unless another xbox 360 happens like on ebay. But Intel has proven through out the years that it can produce large numbers of CPU's without breaking a sweat. But I see them trying to clear out most of there P4 stocks before they really do start producing thier new archs. But I will be waiting until next year personaly before I upgrade my system. Mainly to let most of the bugs get worked out for all the new tech that is coming out this year.

Agreed... There are a lot of other factors at play here than just the cpu's. Vista, memory, GPU's, to name just three. I figure that by April or so, most of these will be facts, not issues, and I can then make calculated purchasing decisions. Until then my 'it's tired and runs too hot' amd 3700 can still do anything I want it to, maybe just not as fast as I'd like. If I did dvd encoding / decoding for a living, that might change my mind, but I don't... (But if I did, wouldn't I be running an SGI system anyway?)

My 2p worth...

As a side note, has anyone gotten Nortel VPN client to run sucessfully with Vista Beta 2? Or been able to enable SLI in Vista? Just a couple'a casual questions...

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
ive searched newegg...and i cant find mobo's that mention opteron as an option.....

go here: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/DeptMOTHERBOARD.hmx?

you can get socket 939 motherboards bundeled with Athlon64 OR Opterons....

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Yea! but look at the price. :?

In general I get great prices there - same or better that newegg.... If you mean the opterons are expensive - I never price compared them, so I will take your word for it?

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Sorry! should have explained my self better. I mean I have never paid that much for a CPU. I could buy Good MOBO, I gig Memory and a Middle of the road Video card for that.
To Rich for my blood, got to many bills :(
Like to buy a High end CPU Once in my life though. Preferance for AMD but new Conroe looks good 8)

Our Australian prices are usally more than most overseas sights :x