Questions about promotions/demotions in Windows 2000 Nativ..

We currently have two Windows 2000 Server DCs, one of which runs
Exchange. I know this is never suggested, but rest assured I wasn't the
one who set it up that way

We've recently acquired a Win2003 Server box that we'd like to promote
to DC, and then demote the Exchange server down to just a member server.

Having never done this before, what kind of things do I need to know
going into this? As far as I know, the Win2000 server doesn't have any
roles in the domain; they're all on the other Win2000 server, so that
shouldn't be an issue. The forest should currently be at a Windows 2000
Native functional level, so there shouldn't be any inherent problems in
adding a Win2003 Server machine as a domain controller.

So, aside from running dcpromo to do the promotion and demotion, what
other steps are there? Are there any specific resources that teach
newbies about DC promotions and demotions?

> We currently have two Windows 2000 Server DCs, one of which runs Exchange.
> I know this is never suggested, but rest assured I wasn't the one who set
> it up that way

No big deal. We run over 200 Exchange boxes on DCs ;-)

I've written this article that discusses replacing a DC:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

However, I've not tried the scenario that you mention ;-)

The main things, other than the FSMO roles which aren't an issue for you,
are DNS and GC (and adprep).

You may also want to look at the Directory Services tab in Exchange, to make
sure that the box knows about other GCs.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

ptwilliams wrote:
>>We currently have two Windows 2000 Server DCs, one of which runs Exchange.
>>I know this is never suggested, but rest assured I wasn't the one who set
>>it up that way
>

> No big deal. We run over 200 Exchange boxes on DCs ;-)
>

> I've written this article that discusses replacing a DC:
> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/
>

> However, I've not tried the scenario that you mention ;-)
>
> The main things, other than the FSMO roles which aren't an issue for you,
> are DNS and GC (and adprep).

We likely won't be moving DNS or the GC anywhere. Right now we have our
two server 2k servers, let's call them s1 and s2. s1 runs exchange, and
is a DC, but has no roles whatsoever. s2 is the GC/DNS server, and
hosts all 5 FSMO roles. We'd like to move the FSMO roles to s3 once it
replaces s1 as a DC (since s3 is a more capable server than s2), but we
don't feel a need to move the GC and DNS unless that's neccesary; is it?

Also, can you elaborate on what if anything we need to do with adprep?
That's something I'm not familiar with.

> You may also want to look at the Directory Services tab in Exchange, to make
> sure that the box knows about other GCs.

Can you elaborate on this, and what it means?

Sorry, I'm pretty new to the Windows Server/AD administration stuff :)

Thanks!

In order to introduce a 2003 DC into a 2000 domain, you must first extend
the Schema by running adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep.

If you are running Exchange 2000, there's a fix that needs to be implemented
prior to running this.

Searching Google with:
"adprep /forestprep" | "adprep /domainprep" site:support.microsoft.com

Will give you more info.

In such a small domain, I recommend that you make all DCs GCs. Don't worry
about any rumours of a conflict with the IM master and the GC -it's not
applicable in this scenario.

As for the Exchange side of things, I'll have to get back to you. I'm not
in work now, and am very new to Exchange [blush].