my domain name is the same as my webpage

aa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

i have a new domain abc.com. and a webpage with the same name. I think i
read something about this being a problem.

We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company webpage.
www.abc.com inside the network, but i can hit it from other location just
find. How do i fix this without redoing the name of the domain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

This isn't a problem. Have a search for Split Brain DNS for more info. on
this.

You might want to Search Mark Minasi's newsletters
(http://www.minasi.com/nwsreg.htm) -he did a good article on this last year.

> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
> webpage

Add an A record in DNS called www that points to the website address.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"AA" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote in message
i have a new domain abc.com. and a webpage with the same name. I think i
read something about this being a problem.

We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company webpage.
www.abc.com inside the network, but i can hit it from other location just
find. How do i fix this without redoing the name of the domain

aa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

thanks for the reply
well heres more info

when i connect a pc direct to switchport on the dsl modem im fine

but when i connect to the main baystack switch thats where the problem
happens. internet is find , just we cant get to our website and cant get
to mail from our ISP

Please help
"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This isn't a problem. Have a search for Split Brain DNS for more info. on
> this.
>
> You might want to Search Mark Minasi's newsletters
> (http://www.minasi.com/nwsreg.htm) -he did a good article on this last
> year.
>
>> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
>> webpage
>
> Add an A record in DNS called www that points to the website address.
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "AA" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote in message
> i have a new domain abc.com. and a webpage with the same name. I think i
> read something about this being a problem.
>
> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
> webpage.
> www.abc.com inside the network, but i can hit it from other location
> just
> find. How do i fix this without redoing the name of the domain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Are you pointing to your internal DNS server and then your ISPs?

That would explain this behaviour.

> just we cant get to our website and cant get to mail from our ISP

See earlier post for info. on adding an A record to fix the Internet Site
access.

What type of e-mail are we talking about? I take it you're not using
Exchange?

--

thanks for the reply
well heres more info

when i connect a pc direct to switchport on the dsl modem im fine

but when i connect to the main baystack switch thats where the problem
happens. internet is find , just we cant get to our website and cant get
to mail from our ISP

Please help
"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This isn't a problem. Have a search for Split Brain DNS for more info. on
> this.
>
> You might want to Search Mark Minasi's newsletters
> (http://www.minasi.com/nwsreg.htm) -he did a good article on this last
> year.
>
>> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
>> webpage
>
> Add an A record in DNS called www that points to the website address.
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "AA" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote in message
> i have a new domain abc.com. and a webpage with the same name. I think i
> read something about this being a problem.
>
> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
> webpage.
> www.abc.com inside the network, but i can hit it from other location
> just
> find. How do i fix this without redoing the name of the domain

aa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

no we are not using exchange .we pop from our isp
and i added the a record and no luck. But i have internet access everywhere
else. and i can access it from my laptop if i just use the isp dns server
and flush my casche
> Are you pointing to your internal DNS server and then your ISPs?
>
> That would explain this behaviour.
>
>> just we cant get to our website and cant get to mail from our ISP
>
> See earlier post for info. on adding an A record to fix the Internet Site
> access.
>
> What type of e-mail are we talking about? I take it you're not using
> Exchange?
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "AA" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote in message
> thanks for the reply
> well heres more info
>
> when i connect a pc direct to switchport on the dsl modem im fine
>
> but when i connect to the main baystack switch thats where the problem
> happens. internet is find , just we cant get to our website and cant get
> to mail from our ISP
>
> Please help
> "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This isn't a problem. Have a search for Split Brain DNS for more info.
>> on
>> this.
>>
>> You might want to Search Mark Minasi's newsletters
>> (http://www.minasi.com/nwsreg.htm) -he did a good article on this last
>> year.
>>
>>> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
>>> webpage
>>
>> Add an A record in DNS called www that points to the website address.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Paul Williams
>>
>> http://www.msresource.net/
>> http://forums.msresource.net/
>>
>> "AA" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote in message
>> i have a new domain abc.com. and a webpage with the same name. I think
>> read something about this being a problem.
>>
>> We my issue now is that my users are not able to access the company
>> webpage.
>> www.abc.com inside the network, but i can hit it from other location
>> just
>> find. How do i fix this without redoing the name of the domain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Well yes, of course; in that case you *can* resolve the external names.

I'll repeat myself, as I may not have been clear.

Your internal domain doesn't know anything of the external domain with the
same name. You need it to, as internal clients *HAVE* to point at the
internal DNS server. Therefore, to make the clients be able to resolve the
external addresses, you have to manually add those addresses to DNS.

For your website you add a www A record that points to the external IP
address of the web server.

For your e-mail, you need to add whatever name you use, probably pop, into
your DNS database. If this is the same as the websever you have two choices
-create an alias to www or add a new A record for pop.

If the outgoing and incoming pop names are different, i.e. pop and relay,
you also need to add a record for relay.

Does this make sense?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/