Power Failure on 5900GT

TweaX

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hey Guys;

Ive got a Nvidia 5900GT and for the last few months when ever i change the settings of a game to normal detail, the card will pop up a message saying there's insufficient power and the performance will be lowered. Some ppl from the gaming forum said to disconnect all peripheral equipment as wireless mouse and keyboard, also they say to check if the power cables have been connected. I dunno about the mouse and keyboard but im definitely know that the cable is connected to the graphics card.

Can anyone give me some pointers to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

BTW: My PSU is at 400 watts i think.

BobtheDead

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I was having a none-too-disimiliar situation with my 9800xt. Upon EVERY boot, it wouldnt even get to the POST screen, telling me to connect my power cable to my card, which i could plainly see it was. Id have to hit reset, sort of wiggle the cable whilst waiting for the post screen to appear, then pin my case back up.

So after a few weeks of 'wiggling', I powered down, removed the connector and got a qtip. Using wd40 sprayed onto the qtip, I gave the power cables pins a thorough cleaning. Then I took my tweezers and gave the inside of the power cable a breif squeeze, to verify that infact, it was making a firm contact with the board.

Also, try a couple different connectors off your powersupply, ones "closer" to the box if possible and less occupied. Your powersupply seems healthy enough for your video card, but make sure that, indeed, your video card is getting its share of the power.