sites and services

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Hi, we have 14 sites with a domain controller in each site.
There are sites that do not exist anymore with servers in the non-existent
site that do not exist.

There are also servers that were moved to different sites, now exist in 2
sites.

What would be the safest way to clean the mess up?

thx jason

"Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> Hi, we have 14 sites with a domain controller in each site.
> There are sites that do not exist anymore with servers in the non-existent
> site that do not exist.
>
> There are also servers that were moved to different sites, now exist in 2
> sites.
>
> What would be the safest way to clean the mess up?

Move the DCs to the right sites (right click).

Remove the unneeded sites (and subnets).

Check replication on every DC. (DCDiag,
RepAdmin, ReplMon)

--
Herb Martin

> thx jason

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Thx.

if there was a non-existent server in a non-exsistent site, when tring to
remove the server (first) I get 'The DSA object cannot be deleted.' I also
get this error when trying to
delete a server that no longer exists in a given site.

thx jason

> Thx.
>
> if there was a non-existent server in a non-exsistent site, when tring to
> remove the server (first) I get 'The DSA object cannot be deleted.' I
also
> get this error when trying to
> delete a server that no longer exists in a given site.

You may have to use ADSIedit but be VERY careful
and look up the KB articles on this at MS first....search
for something like this at Google:

[ site:microsoft.com adsiedit removing | deleting site dc domain ]

--
Herb Martin

> thx jason

> > "Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> > > Hi, we have 14 sites with a domain controller in each site.
> > > There are sites that do not exist anymore with servers in the
> non-existent
> > > site that do not exist.
> > >
> > > There are also servers that were moved to different sites, now exist
in
> 2
> > > sites.
> > >
> > > What would be the safest way to clean the mess up?
> >
> > Move the DCs to the right sites (right click).
> >
> > Remove the unneeded sites (and subnets).
> >
> > Check replication on every DC. (DCDiag,
> > RepAdmin, ReplMon)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > thx jason

you can also go into ADUC and delete the server object
You should have dcpromoed the server to remove it..

> "Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> > Thx.
> >
> > if there was a non-existent server in a non-exsistent site, when tring
> > remove the server (first) I get 'The DSA object cannot be deleted.' I
> also
> > get this error when trying to
> > delete a server that no longer exists in a given site.
>
> You may have to use ADSIedit but be VERY careful
> and look up the KB articles on this at MS first....search
> for something like this at Google:
>
> [ site:microsoft.com adsiedit removing | deleting site dc domain ]
>

> --
> Herb Martin
>

> > thx jason
> >

> > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > > "Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> > non-existent

> in
> > 2

> > > Move the DCs to the right sites (right click).
> > >
> > > Remove the unneeded sites (and subnets).
> > >
> > > Check replication on every DC. (DCDiag,
> > > RepAdmin, ReplMon)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Unfortunately for me they were not dcpromo'd and just removed from the
domain.

js
"John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you can also go into ADUC and delete the server object
> You should have dcpromoed the server to remove it..

> > "Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> > > Thx.
> > >
> > > if there was a non-existent server in a non-exsistent site, when tring
> > > remove the server (first) I get 'The DSA object cannot be deleted.' I
> > also
> > > get this error when trying to
> > > delete a server that no longer exists in a given site.
> >
> > You may have to use ADSIedit but be VERY careful
> > and look up the KB articles on this at MS first....search
> > for something like this at Google:
> >
> > [ site:microsoft.com adsiedit removing | deleting site dc domain ]
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > thx jason
> > >

> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > > non-existent

> > in
> > > 2

"John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you can also go into ADUC and delete the server object
> You should have dcpromoed the server to remove it..

That doesn't seem to always remove the server
from a site in which it doesn't belong.

Doing so may in fact be part of the reason it can
longer BE removed from the sites and services.
(And adsiedit is then required.)

--
Herb Martin

> > "Jason" <avtechs@aspenview.org> wrote in message
> > > Thx.
> > >
> > > if there was a non-existent server in a non-exsistent site, when tring
> > > remove the server (first) I get 'The DSA object cannot be deleted.' I
> > also
> > > get this error when trying to
> > > delete a server that no longer exists in a given site.
> >
> > You may have to use ADSIedit but be VERY careful
> > and look up the KB articles on this at MS first....search
> > for something like this at Google:
> >
> > [ site:microsoft.com adsiedit removing | deleting site dc domain ]
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > thx jason
> > >

> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > > non-existent

> > in
> > > 2

Remember that a site doesn't neceerry have to include a domain controller it
can be used for other purpose such site aware applications, deploy site
specify settings.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> Remember that a site doesn't neceerry have to include a domain controller
it
> can be used for other purpose such site aware applications, deploy site
> specify settings.

Well, that is true -- there just aren't that many
site aware apps today and in most cases that would
be the reason (and likely a server) to place a DC
in that site.

--
Herb Martin

> Unfortunately for me they were not dcpromo'd and just removed from the
> domain.

Well, you first want to remove them
as DCs -- then from AD.

NTDSUtil is the tool from removing them
as "DCs".

NTDS metadata cleanup

Search Google for:

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
by itself.

Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
for some reason.

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.

--
Herb Martin