Lost welcome screen XP

I have just installed SP2.

When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request instead
of the welcome screen.

I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
"change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may be
identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll

I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
SP2 but nothing has changed

Any advice please

Aitionn
9 answers Last reply
More about lost screen

    The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
    latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
    Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue, download,
    install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com.

    Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base Article
    as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
    article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just installed SP2.
    >
    > When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
    > instead
    > of the welcome screen.
    >
    > I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
    > "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
    > recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
    > advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may
    > be
    > identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
    >
    > I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
    > SP2 but nothing has changed
    >
    > Any advice please
    >
    > Aitionn

    I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
    remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
    alligator and ibar bits.

    I would appreciate your thoughts

    Aitionn

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

    > The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
    > latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
    > Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue, download,
    > install and run Ad Aware:
    > www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >
    > Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base Article
    > as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
    > article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just installed SP2.
    > >
    > > When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
    > > instead
    > > of the welcome screen.
    > >
    > > I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
    > > "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
    > > recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
    > > advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may
    > > be
    > > identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
    > >
    > > I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
    > > SP2 but nothing has changed
    > >
    > > Any advice please
    > >
    > > Aitionn

    I cannot solve your probelm, but I can add something that might act as a
    clue for you or someone else who might spot this posting. The file
    BCMLogon.dll has been installed by the Boradcom Wireless system. Yours
    might not be wireless, but mine is. I've seen this problem since I
    upgraded my Dell laptop to the latest wireless drivers. (Other vendors
    use the Broadcom chipset, so your might not be a Dell.) The more
    worrying thing is that since updating the driver, my laptop does not do
    the proper thing on power-down with closing the lid. I haven't
    finished my investigations yet, but it appears not to be going from
    Standy-by to Hibernate and so it kills the battery overnight.

    Colin Machin,
    Loughborough University,
    Loughborough, UK.

    --
    cochm

    Go to the following link, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
    scroll to line 45, click "Restore the Welcome Screen-Gina.Dll Error" in the
    right column and see if that resolves the issue.

    If not, try the following:

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    --

    >I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
    > remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
    > alligator and ibar bits.
    >
    > I would appreciate your thoughts
    >
    > Aitionn
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
    >
    >> The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
    >> latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
    >> Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue,
    >> download,
    >> install and run Ad Aware:
    >> www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >> Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base
    >> Article
    >> as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
    >> article:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just installed SP2.
    >> >
    >> > When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
    >> > instead
    >> > of the welcome screen.
    >> >
    >> > I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i
    >> > click
    >> > "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
    >> > recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen
    >> > and
    >> > advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program
    >> > may
    >> > be
    >> > identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
    >> >
    >> > I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then
    >> > reinstalled
    >> > SP2 but nothing has changed
    >> >
    >> > Any advice please
    >> >
    >> > Aitionn

    Michael,

    It is the Gina.dll error. Welcome screen and user switching now restored

    Many thanks

    Aitionn

    You're welcome, Aitionn.

    --

    > Michael,
    >
    > It is the Gina.dll error. Welcome screen and user switching now restored
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Aitionn
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to the following link, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
    >> scroll to line 45, click "Restore the Welcome Screen-Gina.Dll Error" in
    >> the
    >> right column and see if that resolves the issue.
    >>
    >> If not, try the following:
    >>
    >> The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD
    >> or
    >> restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.
    >>
    >> Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note,
    >> there
    >> is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your
    >> XP
    >> CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this
    >> is
    >> not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun.
    >> Simply
    >> minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
    >> > remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
    >> > alligator and ibar bits.
    >> >
    >> > I would appreciate your thoughts
    >> >
    >> > Aitionn

    Sorry to butt in here but I have been hunting you down<G> can you email me
    at Dumplin#REMOVE#@annexcafe.com

    Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > You're welcome, Aitionn.

    You've got mail.

    --

    "JFFC President" <justabitch@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry to butt in here but I have been hunting you down<G> can you email me
    > at Dumplin#REMOVE#@annexcafe.com
    >

    > Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> You're welcome, Aitionn.

  9. I fixed my welcome screen problem with this program. Download the free version and uncheck the google chrome add ons.

    http://www.superantispyware.com/download

Windows XP