Lost welcome screen XP

October 1, 2004 3:27:04 PM

I have just installed SP2.

When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request instead
of the welcome screen.

I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
"change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may be
identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll

I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
SP2 but nothing has changed

Any advice please

Aitionn

More about : lost screen

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 5:10:20 PM

The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue, download,
install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com.

Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base Article
as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed SP2.
>
> When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
> instead
> of the welcome screen.
>
> I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
> "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
> recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
> advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may
> be
> identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
>
> I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
> SP2 but nothing has changed
>
> Any advice please
>
> Aitionn
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 6:33:01 AM

I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
alligator and ibar bits.

I would appreciate your thoughts

Aitionn

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

> The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
> latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
> Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue, download,
> install and run Ad Aware:
> www.lavasoftusa.com.
>
> Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base Article
> as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
> article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just installed SP2.
> >
> > When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
> > instead
> > of the welcome screen.
> >
> > I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i click
> > "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
> > recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen and
> > advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program may
> > be
> > identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
> >
> > I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
> > SP2 but nothing has changed
> >
> > Any advice please
> >
> > Aitionn

October 4, 2004 10:58:31 AM

I cannot solve your probelm, but I can add something that might act as a
clue for you or someone else who might spot this posting. The file
BCMLogon.dll has been installed by the Boradcom Wireless system. Yours
might not be wireless, but mine is. I've seen this problem since I
upgraded my Dell laptop to the latest wireless drivers. (Other vendors
use the Broadcom chipset, so your might not be a Dell.) The more
worrying thing is that since updating the driver, my laptop does not do
the proper thing on power-down with closing the lid. I haven't
finished my investigations yet, but it appears not to be going from
Standy-by to Hibernate and so it kills the battery overnight.

Colin Machin,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough, UK.

--
cochm
October 4, 2004 5:52:20 PM

Go to the following link, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
scroll to line 45, click "Restore the Welcome Screen-Gina.Dll Error" in the
right column and see if that resolves the issue.

If not, try the following:

The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

--

>I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
> remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
> alligator and ibar bits.
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts
>
> Aitionn
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
>
>> The file name you posted is not a Windows file. Make sure you have the
>> latest updates for your antivirus software and run a scan of your system.
>> Also check for any malware that might be the source of the issue,
>> download,
>> install and run Ad Aware:
>> www.lavasoftusa.com.
>>
>> Additionally, you might want to check the following Knowledge Base
>> Article
>> as whatever is going on may have made a change the applies as in this
>> article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315347
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just installed SP2.
>> >
>> > When i boot up I now get the old classic logon and password request
>> > instead
>> > of the welcome screen.
>> >
>> > I have gone to the Control Panal - then to the useracounts. When i
>> > click
>> > "change the way users log on" I get an error message telling me that a
>> > recently installed program has disabled fast change and welcome screen
>> > and
>> > advises me to uninstall the program It also tells me that the program
>> > may
>> > be
>> > identified by the following file C:\Windows\system32\BCMlogon.dll
>> >
>> > I am unsure what to do from here. I have uninstalled and then
>> > reinstalled
>> > SP2 but nothing has changed
>> >
>> > Any advice please
>> >
>> > Aitionn

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:13:04 AM

Michael,

It is the Gina.dll error. Welcome screen and user switching now restored

Many thanks

Aitionn

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:02:53 PM

You're welcome, Aitionn.

--

> Michael,
>
> It is the Gina.dll error. Welcome screen and user switching now restored
>
> Many thanks
>
> Aitionn
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Go to the following link, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
>> scroll to line 45, click "Restore the Welcome Screen-Gina.Dll Error" in
>> the
>> right column and see if that resolves the issue.
>>
>> If not, try the following:
>>
>> The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD
>> or
>> restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.
>>
>> Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note,
>> there
>> is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your
>> XP
>> CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this
>> is
>> not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun.
>> Simply
>> minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Aitionn" <Aitionn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have done just as you suggested to the letter but the problem still
>> > remains. I did not find any virus threat and adware wise only the usual
>> > alligator and ibar bits.
>> >
>> > I would appreciate your thoughts
>> >
>> > Aitionn

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 5:38:25 AM

Sorry to butt in here but I have been hunting you down<G> can you email me
at Dumplin#REMOVE#@annexcafe.com

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You're welcome, Aitionn.
Anonymous