Client Can't join Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 25, 2005 11:29:30 PM

I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have 3
WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.

Any help?

After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...

ERROR
================================

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are
not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received
this information, which has been recorded in the file
C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
zone:

bytex
.. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

More about : client join domain

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:29:31 PM

It sounds like the connection between the client and one of the DCs cannot be
made. Make sure you can ping your DCs by name. Since the other clients are
running OK I would think the problem does not rely within your DCs, but the
client itself. Is there another machine you can try joining to the domain
(or rejoining)? This would help isolate the problem. Also, check the event
logs on the problem client.

Hope this helps.
AJD, MCSE

"scott" wrote:

> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have 3
> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
> Any help?
>

> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
> ERROR
> ================================
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
> zone:
>
> bytex
> .. (the root zone)
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:45:48 AM

Check that the windows firewall is not hampering you from contacting
the dc.

jOSH...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:29:30 -0600, "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com>
wrote:

>I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have 3
>WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
>install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
>parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
>displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
>not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
>seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
>join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
>Any help?
>

>After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
>ERROR
>================================
>
>Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are
>not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received
>this information, which has been recorded in the file
>C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
>The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
>verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
>If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
>following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
>The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
>(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
>The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
>The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
>Common causes of this error include the following:
>
>- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
>- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
>zone:
>
>bytex
>. (the root zone)
>
>For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Related resources
February 26, 2005 1:30:29 PM

I'm afraid to try and join another working client to the domain band mess it
up since they are already joined and working.

"aJd" <aJd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like the connection between the client and one of the DCs cannot
> be
> made. Make sure you can ping your DCs by name. Since the other clients
> are
> running OK I would think the problem does not rely within your DCs, but
> the
> client itself. Is there another machine you can try joining to the domain
> (or rejoining)? This would help isolate the problem. Also, check the
> event
> logs on the problem client.
>
> Hope this helps.
> AJD, MCSE
>
> "scott" wrote:
>
>> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also
>> have 3
>> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
>> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
>> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
>> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain
>> could
>> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and
>> everything
>> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me
>> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>>
>> Any help?
>>

>> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>>
>> ERROR
>> ================================
>>
>> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
>> are
>> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
>> received
>> this information, which has been recorded in the file
>> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>>
>> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
>> case,
>> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>>
>> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
>> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>>
>> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
>> location
>> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain
>> bytex:
>>
>> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>>
>> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>>
>> Common causes of this error include the following:
>>
>> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>>
>> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
>> child
>> zone:
>>
>> bytex
>> .. (the root zone)
>>
>> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

February 26, 2005 1:32:15 PM

Firewall is turned off.

"Josh Davis" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Check that the windows firewall is not hampering you from contacting
> the dc.
>
> jOSH...
>

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:29:30 -0600, "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
>>3
>>WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
>>install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
>>parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
>>displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
>>not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
>>seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
>>join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>>
>>Any help?
>>

>>After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>>
>>ERROR
>>================================
>>
>>Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
>>are
>>not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
>>received
>>this information, which has been recorded in the file
>>C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>>
>>The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
>>case,
>>verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>>
>>If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
>>following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>>
>>The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
>>(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>>
>>The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>>(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>>
>>The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>>
>>Common causes of this error include the following:
>>
>>- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>>
>>- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
>>child
>>zone:
>>
>>bytex
>>. (the root zone)
>>
>>For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:12:55 PM

A standard name to IP address test (ping) doesn't prove DNS is working. For
a true test, you need to query the SRV records that Windows calls. In this
case, as the client is not a domain member and is therefore not site aware
(yet), the generic LDAP record _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain-name.com.

The %systemroot%\debug\netsetup.log (which the details tab references) is
what you need to look at.

This sounds like the client is not configured to use the internal DNS
server.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"scott" wrote:

> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
> 3
> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
> Any help?
>

> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
> ERROR
> ================================
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
> are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
> received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
> case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
>
> bytex
> .. (the root zone)
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

February 26, 2005 5:12:56 PM

How do I run this query?

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
>> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>>
>> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
>> location
>> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain
>> bytex:
>>
>> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>>
>> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>>
>> Common causes of this error include the following:
>>
>> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>>
>> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
>> child
>> zone:
>>
>> bytex
>> .. (the root zone)
>>
>> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

February 26, 2005 5:15:05 PM

The firewall allows this kind of communication by default, and only blocks
incoming traffic that wasn't initiated by the client. Unless the poster has
changed the firewall settings this is not likely the problem. DNS is the
most likely culprit.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

wrote:

>I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
>3
>WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
>install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
>parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
>displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
>not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
>seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
>join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
>Any help?
>

>After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
>ERROR
>================================
>
>Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are
>not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
>received
>this information, which has been recorded in the file
>C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
>The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
>verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
>If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
>following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
>The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
>(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
>The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
>The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
>Common causes of this error include the following:
>
>- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
>- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
>zone:
>
>bytex
>. (the root zone)
>
>For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:16:22 PM

> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex

That's the issue there.

Try entering the FQDN name.

Or are you using a single-label domain name? If so, this is bad...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
[...]

February 26, 2005 5:16:23 PM

The domain is called EXCHANGE

What do you mean by entering FQDN name?

>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> That's the issue there.
>
> Try entering the FQDN name.
>
> Or are you using a single-label domain name? If so, this is bad...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
> 3
> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
> Any help?
>

> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
> ERROR
> ================================
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
> are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
> received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
> case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
>
> bytex
> . (the root zone)
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

February 26, 2005 5:16:23 PM

I should note that REMOTE DESKTOP connectivity works fine.

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> That's the issue there.
>
> Try entering the FQDN name.
>
> Or are you using a single-label domain name? If so, this is bad...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
> 3
> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
> Any help?
>

> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
> ERROR
> ================================
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
> are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
> received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
> case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
>
> bytex
> . (the root zone)
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

February 26, 2005 5:16:23 PM

It was DNS issue, thanks guys.

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> That's the issue there.
>
> Try entering the FQDN name.
>
> Or are you using a single-label domain name? If so, this is bad...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
> I have a Win2003 standard ed. Parent PDC and Child Domain PDC. I also have
> 3
> WinXP Client pc's. I recently had to reformat 1 XP Client. After a fresh
> install, and setting up TCP/IP Settings, I'm unable to join either the
> parent or child domain. It doesn't prompt for credentials, instead it
> displays an error message saying 'A domain controller for the domain could
> not be contacted.' I'm logging in fine from other 2 clients and everything
> seems to be working fine with both servers, what could be preventing me to
> join either domains? I've had this domain running fine for over a year.
>
> Any help?
>

> After clicking DETAILS, XP reported the below error ...
>
> ERROR
> ================================
>
> Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you
> are
> not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you
> received
> this information, which has been recorded in the file
> C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
>
> The domain name bytex might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
> case,
> verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>
> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
> following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
>
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
> (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain bytex:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.bytex
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
>
> bytex
> . (the root zone)
>
> For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:14:40 AM

It almost always is ;-)

--