No Permission to update Active Directory Schema

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 27, 2005 5:49:03 PM

Hi Folks,

the last couple days I am fighting around with my Windows Server 2003 and
Exchange 2003.
My Problem is that i do not have Permission to update my Schema.

So after reading and reading and reading the hole INET for answers i did not
finde any solution to fix my issue!

I bought myself a book wich explains me how to install Exchange :/

after i removed my ADS and installed it again and i set up a brand new
server with windows 2003 i tried to install exchange 2003 on both ( like it
was written in this book), but no chance it stoped with an error code :
"0XC1037AE6"
I searched for that and found some articel about it so i did the ldifde -i

but even this does not work out

so i tried to /forestprep it and i will get the Message : " EITHER YOU DO
NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO UPDATE THE ACTIVE DIRECTORY SCHEMA OR ACTIVE DIRECTORY
IS CURRENTLY TO BUSY"

so i do not what to do anymore and in the Inet nobody ever resolved this
problem as far as i could see... !!!

Is there anyone out there could help me?

thx

sancho kiani
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:16:32 AM

You must running the forestprep logged on as a member of schema admins and
enterprise admins.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Sanch0" <Sanch0@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi Folks,
>
> the last couple days I am fighting around with my Windows Server 2003 and
> Exchange 2003.
> My Problem is that i do not have Permission to update my Schema.
>
> So after reading and reading and reading the hole INET for answers i did
> not
> finde any solution to fix my issue!
>
> I bought myself a book wich explains me how to install Exchange :/
>
> after i removed my ADS and installed it again and i set up a brand new
> server with windows 2003 i tried to install exchange 2003 on both ( like
> it
> was written in this book), but no chance it stoped with an error code :
> "0XC1037AE6"
> I searched for that and found some articel about it so i did the ldifde -i
>
> but even this does not work out
>
> so i tried to /forestprep it and i will get the Message : " EITHER YOU DO
> NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO UPDATE THE ACTIVE DIRECTORY SCHEMA OR ACTIVE
> DIRECTORY
> IS CURRENTLY TO BUSY"
>
> so i do not what to do anymore and in the Inet nobody ever resolved this
> problem as far as i could see... !!!
>
> Is there anyone out there could help me?
>

> thx
>
> sancho kiani
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:16:33 AM

Hi Chriss3,

of course I am, and I did all the other super ideas people had in the Inet...
Somehow i am looking for something new!

I testet EVERYTHING what was written in the KB of MICROSOFT!

but any ways thanks for reply

sancho
February 28, 2005 9:26:10 AM

Have you seen both KB328661 and KB870829 ?

--

> Hi Chriss3,
>
> of course I am, and I did all the other super ideas people had in the
> Inet...
> Somehow i am looking for something new!
>
> I testet EVERYTHING what was written in the KB of MICROSOFT!
>
> but any ways thanks for reply
>
> sancho

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:26:11 AM

"Running Exchange 2000 Setup with /Forestprep switch produces Error 0XC1037AE6"

Did as written there , nothing really helped out...

"Setup with the /forestprep switch does not succeed, and you receive a
0xC1037AE6 error message"

Did as written there, no chance , nothing happend....

I am getting mad, I feel soooooo stupid .... :/
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:53:51 PM

Let's turn to the logs, to see exactly what's going on.

%systemroot%\system32\debug\adprep\logs

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"Sanch0" <Sanch0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
"Running Exchange 2000 Setup with /Forestprep switch produces Error
0XC1037AE6"

Did as written there , nothing really helped out...

"Setup with the /forestprep switch does not succeed, and you receive a
0xC1037AE6 error message"

Did as written there, no chance , nothing happend....

I am getting mad, I feel soooooo stupid .... :/
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:55:11 AM

Ensure you the value if the key below allowing schema update on the schema
master domain controller, Set the Schema Update Allowed value to 1 to allow
write access to the schema.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema
Update Allowed

--

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Let's turn to the logs, to see exactly what's going on.
>
> %systemroot%\system32\debug\adprep\logs
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "Sanch0" <Sanch0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Running Exchange 2000 Setup with /Forestprep switch produces Error
> 0XC1037AE6"
>
> Did as written there , nothing really helped out...
>

> "Setup with the /forestprep switch does not succeed, and you receive a
> 0xC1037AE6 error message"
>
> Did as written there, no chance , nothing happend....
>
> I am getting mad, I feel soooooo stupid .... :/

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:31:10 PM

Download sectok from

http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/sectok.htm

Then open a command prompt logged on as the user you are doing this work as.

Run the sectok command by typing sectok.

That will list all of the group SIDS in your token. This will rule out any
issues with correctly building a security token for your logon processes.

Next you will want to run dsacls against the schema container to verify its perms.

dsacls cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=com

where you obviously plug in your proper root domain DN.

Post those ACLs here.

joe

www.joeware.net

!