Backup of Active Directory ?

Mary

There is a Server running IIS for our Intranet.

However, our system administrator says that she wants to
use that Server as a Backup of the Active Directory.

Does it mean that she wants to promote that server to a
domain controller in the domain ?

Thanks

Yes it sounds like what she mean, if this is the case it's a very critical
security issue I strongly recommend you to reject this since the entire
directory will be replicated to the webserver that is accessible from the
internet.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Mary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> There is a Server running IIS for our Intranet.
>
> However, our system administrator says that she wants to
> use that Server as a Backup of the Active Directory.
>
> Does it mean that she wants to promote that server to a
> domain controller in the domain ?
>
> Thanks

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Chriss3 [MVP] wrote:
> Yes it sounds like what she mean, if this is the case it's a very critical
> security issue I strongly recommend you to reject this since the entire
> directory will be replicated to the webserver that is accessible from the
> internet.

Calm down Chris.... She said it was an Intranet server. <grin>

Of course if this server were to be on the Internet, you'd
be correct, 150%.

Cheers,

Cliff

You are right, it doesn't have to be a web server ;) But what is then a
internet server?:)

--

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Chriss3 [MVP] wrote:
>> Yes it sounds like what she mean, if this is the case it's a very
>> critical security issue I strongly recommend you to reject this since the
>> entire directory will be replicated to the webserver that is accessible
>> from the internet.
>>
> Calm down Chris.... She said it was an Intranet server. <grin>
>
> Of course if this server were to be on the Internet, you'd be correct,
> 150%.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>

> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Mary wrote:
> There is a Server running IIS for our Intranet.
>
> However, our system administrator says that she wants to
> use that Server as a Backup of the Active Directory.
>
> Does it mean that she wants to promote that server to a
> domain controller in the domain ?

As Criss says, it sounds like it. But if it is truly *only*
on the Intranet, there is probably no problem. Though it
would be better to keep them seperate if you can.

Cheers,

Cliff