how to move software Installations GPO to another server

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

I have a bunch of software installation GPOs that point to ServerA for its
installation files. I setup a new DC ServerB and want to replace ServerA
with ServerB. How can i edit the GPO to pull the software from ServerB?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Hello Dan,
Have a look at my article below:
How can I modify the Path to an assigned or published software package
within a GPO?
http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I have a bunch of software installation GPOs that point to ServerA for its
>installation files. I setup a new DC ServerB and want to replace ServerA
>with ServerB. How can i edit the GPO to pull the software from ServerB?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

what do i put in the Edit Attribute box?

"Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> Hello Dan,
> Have a look at my article below:
> How can I modify the Path to an assigned or published software package
> within a GPO?
> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>I have a bunch of software installation GPOs that point to ServerA for its
>>installation files. I setup a new DC ServerB and want to replace ServerA
>>with ServerB. How can i edit the GPO to pull the software from ServerB?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

The UNC Path to the new source of the package.

--

> what do i put in the Edit Attribute box?
>
> "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
>> Hello Dan,
>> Have a look at my article below:
>> How can I modify the Path to an assigned or published software package
>> within a GPO?
>> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Christoffer Andersson
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>
>> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
>> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>>
>> "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>>I have a bunch of software installation GPOs that point to ServerA for
>>>its installation files. I setup a new DC ServerB and want to replace
>>>ServerA with ServerB. How can i edit the GPO to pull the software from
>>>ServerB?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

The old path says 0:\\servername\share\msifile do i need to put the 0:\\
cause i did that and for some reason the gpo is not being pushed out. It
says in event viewer that it cant find the file.

"Dan" wrote:
> The old path says 0:\servernamesharemsifile do i need to
> put the 0:\
> cause i did that and for some reason the gpo is not being
> pushed out. It
> says in event viewer that it cant find the file.
>
> "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > The UNC Path to the new source of the package.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>  >> what do i put in the Edit Attribute box?
>  >>
>  >> "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote
> in message
>  >> news:uxIqQvaHFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>   >>> Hello Dan,
>   >>> Have a look at my article below:
>   >>> How can I modify the Path to an assigned or
> published software package
>   >>> within a GPO?
>   >>> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75
>   >>>
>   >>> --
>   >>> Regards
>   >>> Christoffer Andersson
>   >>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>   >>>
>   >>> No email replies please - reply in the
> newsgroup
>   >>>
>   >>> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>   >>>
>   >>> "Dan"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
> meddelandet
>   >>> news:OB7a4ZaHFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>   >>>>I have a bunch of software installation GPOs
> that point to ServerA for
>   >>>>its installation files. I setup a new DC
> ServerB and want to replace
>   >>>>ServerA with ServerB. How can i edit the GPO
> to pull the software from
>   >>>>ServerB?
>   >>>>
>   >>>>
>   >>>>
>   >>>>
>   >>>>
>   >>>
>   >>>
>  >>
>  >>

Hi,

Remove the O:\ You can’t do software installation from a mapped
drive because drives aren’t mapped until the startup scripts section
which is after the software installation section.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-move-software-Installations-GPO-server-ftopict271251.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=856329

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

E.g
0:\\server\share\msifile.MSI

--

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]
> >   >>>>
> >   >>>>
> >   >>>
> >   >>>
> >  >>
> >  >>
> > >

> Hi,
>
> Remove the O:\ You can't do software installation from a mapped
> drive because drives aren't mapped until the startup scripts section
> which is after the software installation section.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Lara

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-move-software-Installations-GPO-server-ftopict271251.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Chris

I am trying to get the article that you referenced but your site is down.
Is it posted anywhere else?

--
David Miller, MCP
Network Engineer

> [...]
> > drive because drives aren't mapped until the startup scripts section
> > which is after the software installation section.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-move-software-Installations-GPO-se
rver-ftopict271251.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=856329

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

It's up for me...

--
Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hello,

Once I updated the path, I no longer can see/edit the pkg within the
Software Installation of the GPO. I also do not see the "\\" in the unc
paths when viewed thru GPMT.

Also, for those apps with a MST file, do I just separate the unc paths by a
semi-colon ";"?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75
>
> It's up for me...
>
> --
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I've resolved my own problem. No thanks to those who knew but did not help.
BTW, you do need the "0:" (not a drive letter but a zero) before the double
backslashes otherwise you get the problems I described. Use ldifde to
export and import. Much faster!
-ylee104-

"ylee104" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Once I updated the path, I no longer can see/edit the pkg within the
> Software Installation of the GPO. I also do not see the "\\" in the unc
> paths when viewed thru GPMT.
>
> Also, for those apps with a MST file, do I just separate the unc paths by a
> semi-colon ";"?
>
> Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
>

> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > http://www.chrisse.se/MAQB.asp?ID=75
> >
> > It's up for me...
> >
> > --
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net/
> > http://forums.msresource.net/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I'm glad you've sorted it. Well done.

> No thanks to those who knew but did not help.

That's a bit harsh mind. You only gave us two hours ;-)

And it's not that we didn't want to help either... That's why we're here!

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I do see your point there. Sorry and I take it back.
Well, my problem doesn't end there. Even though I've updated the paths and
they do show up in AD with the correct new paths, when the users tries to
install these apps, it's still pointing to the old server, which is shutdown
at moment. I also ran a Group Polics Results on against my PC and the
resulting settings have those apps pointing to the old server. Any
suggestion in this?

-ylee104-

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> I'm glad you've sorted it. Well done.
>
> > No thanks to those who knew but did not help.
>
> That's a bit harsh mind. You only gave us two hours ;-)
>
> And it's not that we didn't want to help either... That's why we're here!
>
> --
> Paul Williams
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

More info: updating the msiFileList path doesn't seem to update the path in
the *.aas file, which is a script to install the app. The path of this aas
file is in the attribute msiScriptPath for example:
c:\windows\SYSVOL\SysVol\domain.com\Policies\{101C8B11-FC84-4A97-9AF2-ECBE709469E1}\User\Applications\{DAD282E9-F8AE-4418-9C1C-A53F8A2FD2EE}.aas

Is there anyway to change the path in this file?

"ylee104" wrote:

> I do see your point there. Sorry and I take it back.
> Well, my problem doesn't end there. Even though I've updated the paths and
> they do show up in AD with the correct new paths, when the users tries to
> install these apps, it's still pointing to the old server, which is shutdown
> at moment. I also ran a Group Polics Results on against my PC and the
> resulting settings have those apps pointing to the old server. Any
> suggestion in this?
>
> -ylee104-
>

> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > I'm glad you've sorted it. Well done.
> >
> > > No thanks to those who knew but did not help.
> >
> > That's a bit harsh mind. You only gave us two hours ;-)
> >
> > And it's not that we didn't want to help either... That's why we're here!
> >
> > --
> > Paul Williams
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> > http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Can we start over please?

I don't quite follow what the exact issue is [blush]

If you've moved the location of the software you are publishing/ assigning,
have you recreated the app in the GPO? If not, can you?

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Well, I'm trying to avoid having to redeploy the GP deployed apps since there
there 4 sites with about 100 apps in each. I've updated the paths for all
apps based on this topic. I am using GPMC under WinXP SP2 and when viewing
the Software Installation under the GPO, all the paths reflect the new DFS
paths but when I ran the RSoP on my workstation, they still show the old
paths. So, when users try to update or install these apps, the apps tried
to pull the source from the old server unc path. I think it has something
to do with the *.aas file (application advertisement script). There's one
..aas file for each app in the DC's sysvol. These .aas files contain the
source path to the old server among an other things. Is there anyway to
update these .aas files w/o issues or do I have no choice but to redeploy all
my msi apps? Anyone has successfully redirect the source paths to different
server before?
-ylee104-

"ylee104" wrote:
> Well, I'm trying to avoid having to redeploy the GP deployed
> apps since there
> there 4 sites with about 100 apps in each. I've updated the
> paths for all
> apps based on this topic. I am using GPMC under WinXP SP2 and
> when viewing
> the Software Installation under the GPO, all the paths reflect
> the new DFS
> paths but when I ran the RSoP on my workstation, they still
> show the old
> paths. So, when users try to update or install these apps,
> the apps tried
> to pull the source from the old server unc path. I think it
> has something
> to do with the *.aas file (application advertisement script).
> There's one
> ..aas file for each app in the DC's sysvol. These .aas files
> contain the
> source path to the old server among an other things. Is
> there anyway to
> update these .aas files w/o issues or do I have no choice but
> to redeploy all
> my msi apps? Anyone has successfully redirect the source
> paths to different
> server before?
> -ylee104-
>

> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Can we start over please?
> >
> > I don't quite follow what the exact issue is [blush]
> >
> > If you've moved the location of the software you are
> publishing/ assigning,
> > have you recreated the app in the GPO? If not, can you?
> >
> > --
> > Paul Williams
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> > http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net

ylee,

I am having the exact same issue as yourself with regard modifying the
aas file. I was wondering if you found a solution ??

Thanks in advance ........

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-move-software-Installations-GPO-server-ftopict271251.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1216169

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hello Chriss...

I have follow your article and it whas a good tips...but i still have
problem that clientmaschine log tells me that they dont find the location for
the msi packet
and i now thats the right location.
Is there som rights that could get wrong because the old server whas a 2000
server ande the new is 2003? or shold i allso redistrubuit?