Setting the >>homeDirectory<< field in CSVDE

Good morning!

I am going to use csvde to ad my user accounts to the AD. I have figured out
so far everything I need, except one tiny little bit.

The users should use a Home-Directory which is mapped to the drive "H:" . I
have done the necessary steps in the .csv file and when I check in the AD,
the fields under the PROFILE-Tab are filled in correctly
(\\server\homeshare\user001).
BUT in the share hte folder user001 is not created.
If I go into the field and ad a blank behind the path, use backspace to
delete it, hit OK, THEN the folder is created.
Now, I am a bit sarcastic (doing the sys.adm-job with the
do-it-on-the-fly-leraning-program could do this to you) but is this really
necessary? I mean, I have only 150 accounts to add, but I doubt, that this is
a design feature of w2k server. Then again, it might.

I would appreciate any help, and maybe some links to a good documentation of
CSVDE, the AD-Schema etc.
Thanks.

Olaf Schmidt
7 answers Last reply
More about setting homedirectory field csvde

    I remember asking a similar question awhile ago. If I recall right when
    adding the home folder in ADUC there is extra stuff that goes on to see if
    there is a folder already, if not create it and assign perms. Obviously when
    using CSVDE this functionallity is missing so you will to A, add it
    yourself, B create the folders, C touch each one in ADUC. I was using LDIFDE
    at the time, and I am not a programmer to say the least so I choose to touch
    each user just basically using copy \\servername\sharename\%username% and
    pasting that back in. Took some time, but wasn't to bad.

    Jason
    "Schmidt2b" <Schmidt2b@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Good morning!
    >
    > I am going to use csvde to ad my user accounts to the AD. I have figured
    > out
    > so far everything I need, except one tiny little bit.
    >
    > The users should use a Home-Directory which is mapped to the drive "H:" .
    > have done the necessary steps in the .csv file and when I check in the AD,
    > the fields under the PROFILE-Tab are filled in correctly
    > (\\server\homeshare\user001).
    > BUT in the share hte folder user001 is not created.
    > If I go into the field and ad a blank behind the path, use backspace to
    > delete it, hit OK, THEN the folder is created.
    > Now, I am a bit sarcastic (doing the sys.adm-job with the
    > do-it-on-the-fly-leraning-program could do this to you) but is this really
    > necessary? I mean, I have only 150 accounts to add, but I doubt, that this
    > is
    > a design feature of w2k server. Then again, it might.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help, and maybe some links to a good documentation
    > of
    > CSVDE, the AD-Schema etc.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Olaf Schmidt

    Well, this is exactly, what i want to avoid... even if I COULD do this with
    the 150something accounts, there are people out there with soem thousands of
    accounts, this COULD NOT possible be a design feature of w2k server, now
    could it.... opening every user and hitting the key... I am imagining the
    guys at M$ doing it all day, or at Daimler Crysler...

    Olaf

    "JasonMeyer" wrote:

    > I remember asking a similar question awhile ago. If I recall right when
    > adding the home folder in ADUC there is extra stuff that goes on to see if
    > there is a folder already, if not create it and assign perms. Obviously when
    > using CSVDE this functionallity is missing so you will to A, add it
    > yourself, B create the folders, C touch each one in ADUC. I was using LDIFDE
    > at the time, and I am not a programmer to say the least so I choose to touch
    > each user just basically using copy \\servername\sharename\%username% and
    > pasting that back in. Took some time, but wasn't to bad.

    The cmd line tools work exactly like they were designed to. They simply
    modify AD. ADUC, like i said, does the same thing, but has additional
    functionality in that is creates the homefolder also. Places that are huge
    like MS and Daimler more than likely have AD admins that are very good a
    writing their own admins scripts in VB with ADO/FSO that creates the homedir
    and assigns the proper permissions for the user. I would google around to
    see if you can find a script that can create folders and assign perms, or
    write one yourself. Then incorporate that into your user creation process.

    Jason

    Don't shoot the messenger....

    > Well, this is exactly, what i want to avoid... even if I COULD do this
    > with
    > the 150something accounts, there are people out there with soem thousands
    > of
    > accounts, this COULD NOT possible be a design feature of w2k server, now
    > could it.... opening every user and hitting the key... I am imagining the
    > guys at M$ doing it all day, or at Daimler Crysler...
    >
    > Olaf
    >
    > "JasonMeyer" wrote:
    >
    >> I remember asking a similar question awhile ago. If I recall right when
    >> adding the home folder in ADUC there is extra stuff that goes on to see
    >> if
    >> there is a folder already, if not create it and assign perms. Obviously
    >> when
    >> using CSVDE this functionallity is missing so you will to A, add it
    >> yourself, B create the folders, C touch each one in ADUC. I was using
    >> LDIFDE
    >> at the time, and I am not a programmer to say the least so I choose to
    >> touch
    >> each user just basically using copy \\servername\sharename\%username% and
    >> pasting that back in. Took some time, but wasn't to bad.

    *sigh* I am sorry, it is just... Everybody makes this HYPE about AD but when
    I try to use that "userfriendly, powerful" admin-tool, I long to have
    textfiles as config-files, which I can make with something easy like tcl/tk
    and it works... ok, on to the next seminar, VB for dummies....

    "JasonMeyer1" wrote:
    > The cmd line tools work exactly like they were designed to.
    > They simply
    > modify AD. ADUC, like i said, does the same thing, but has
    > additional
    > functionality in that is creates the homefolder also. Places
    > that are huge
    > like MS and Daimler more than likely have AD admins that are
    > very good a
    > writing their own admins scripts in VB with ADO/FSO that
    > creates the homedir
    > and assigns the proper permissions for the user. I would
    > google around to
    > see if you can find a script that can create folders and
    > assign perms, or
    > write one yourself. Then incorporate that into your user
    > creation process.
    >
    > Jason
    >
    > Don't shoot the messenger....
    >

    > "schmidt2b" <schmidt2b@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > Well, this is exactly, what i want to avoid... even if I
    > COULD do this
    > > with
    > > the 150something accounts, there are people out there with
    > soem thousands
    > > of
    > > accounts, this COULD NOT possible be a design feature of w2k
    > server, now
    > > could it.... opening every user and hitting the key... I am
    > imagining the
    > > guys at M$ doing it all day, or at Daimler Crysler...
    > >
    > > Olaf
    > >
    > > "JasonMeyer" wrote:
    > >
    >  >> I remember asking a similar question awhile ago. If I
    > recall right when
    >  >> adding the home folder in ADUC there is extra stuff
    > that goes on to see
    >  >> if
    >  >> there is a folder already, if not create it and
    > assign perms. Obviously
    >  >> when
    >  >> using CSVDE this functionallity is missing so you
    > will to A, add it
    >  >> yourself, B create the folders, C touch each one in
    > ADUC. I was using
    >  >> LDIFDE
    >  >> at the time, and I am not a programmer to say the
    > least so I choose to
    >  >> touch
    >  >> each user just basically using copy
    > \servernamesharename%username% and
    >  >> pasting that back in. Took some time, but wasn't to
    > bad.
    >  >>

    Hi,

    I had the same problem for years only I used VBScript. I went manually
    into 1200 users per year and changed the H: to I: and back to H: to
    get the user folder to create. It was a real pain. I know some MS
    techs who are experts in scripting who said that they didn’t know.
    Basically I upgraded to Windows 2003 Server which lets you do multiple
    selects and then it was easy.

    My friend wrote an ASP script that interfaces with AD and creates the
    user account and sets the permissions. It is very long and complicated
    and I have yet to figure it out. Here is the part for creating the
    directory. The Permissions section is very long.

    ’Create User Home Directory
    Dim fso
    set fso = server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    on error resume next
    fso.CreateFolder UserFolderShare & "\" & userid
    if err <> 0 then
    response.redirect(webpath & "/folderalreadyexist.htm")
    end if
    set fso = Nothing

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Setting-gt-gt-home-lt-lt-field-CSVDE-ftopict271275.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=857378

    msdn.microsoft.com is a nice place to visit. They have ref on all the
    languages and stuff there.

    > *sigh* I am sorry, it is just... Everybody makes this HYPE about AD but
    > when
    > I try to use that "userfriendly, powerful" admin-tool, I long to have
    > textfiles as config-files, which I can make with something easy like
    > tcl/tk
    > and it works... ok, on to the next seminar, VB for dummies....
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > ok, on to the next seminar, VB for dummies....

    That'll be a good one ;-)

    (worthwhile, really)

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Schmidt2b" <Schmidt2b@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    *sigh* I am sorry, it is just... Everybody makes this HYPE about AD but when
    I try to use that "userfriendly, powerful" admin-tool, I long to have
    textfiles as config-files, which I can make with something easy like tcl/tk
    and it works... ok, on to the next seminar, VB for dummies....

Active Directory Windows