Replicate Extended Schema Attributes

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We have a Win2k network with 3 DCs.

Our main DC has some extended attributes that I want to have replicated over
to the other two DCs. Replication is working, but it's just not doing the
Extended attributes we've added.

how can i accomplish this?

Hello,

Good to hear from you.

According to your message, it seems to be a replication problem. Can you
tell me what the extended attributes are? Are they some object attributes?
Have you waited for a normal replication time (5 minutes) to check the
result?

Generally speaking, if replication runs well, the DC should replicate those
attributes. If the problem persists, please help me gather the following
information and send them to v-franhe@microsoft.com for research.

1.Ntds logs from event log.

Getting Ntds related log
===================
1)In the run box, type in "eventvwr".

2)In the Event Viewer, right click "Directory Services" and select "Save
log file as¡­".

3)Save the event log as a .txt file.

2.Run repadmin.exe and give me the result.

1) You can download repadmin.exe from the link below.

Windows 2000 SP4 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/SP4/supporttools
asp

2) In the command line, type in "repadmin /showreps"

Refer to the following article for more information about the command of
repadmin.
Repadmin.exe: Replication Diagnostics Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre
f/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techre
f/en-us/repadmin.asp

3) Copy the result.

I am looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

HI there! thanks for the help!

We have some UNIX attributes setup in A/D that are used by a SUSE linux web
application. The suse web uses LDAP queries to retrieve these UNIX
attributes on user accounts.

If the SUSE box queries our primary domain controller, it works. when we try
to query either of the remaining 2 DCs, they come back with no result.

On the primary DC, in A/D users and computers, you can see the UNIX tab. On
the other two boxes, you don't get those items at all.

In making queries to those two boxes, it's as if the info does not exist. it
seems to be only on the primary domain controller.

"Frances [MSFT]" <v-franhe@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Good to hear from you.
>
> According to your message, it seems to be a replication problem. Can you
> tell me what the extended attributes are? Are they some object attributes?
> Have you waited for a normal replication time (5 minutes) to check the
> result?
>
> Generally speaking, if replication runs well, the DC should replicate
> those
> attributes. If the problem persists, please help me gather the following
> information and send them to v-franhe@microsoft.com for research.
>
> 1.Ntds logs from event log.
>
> Getting Ntds related log
> ===================
> 1)In the run box, type in "eventvwr".
>
> 2)In the Event Viewer, right click "Directory Services" and select "Save
> log file as¡­".
>
> 3)Save the event log as a .txt file.
>
> 2.Run repadmin.exe and give me the result.
>
> 1) You can download repadmin.exe from the link below.
>
> Windows 2000 SP4 Support Tools
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/SP4/supporttools
> asp
>
> 2) In the command line, type in "repadmin /showreps"
>
> Refer to the following article for more information about the command of
> repadmin.
> Repadmin.exe: Replication Diagnostics Tool
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techre
> f/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techre
> f/en-us/repadmin.asp
>
> 3) Copy the result.
>

> I am looking forward to your reply!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frances He
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.

Hello,

Thank you for your follow up.

According to your description, the UNIX attributes are included in the user
accounts.

You mention that you can view the UNIX tab in A/D users and computers, and
cannot view it in the other DCs. This does not mean these attributes are
not replicated to the DCs. Because A/D users and computers offers a GUI, so
in the other DCs, you have to extend Microsoft Management Console (MMC) to
view the tab. Please use ADSIedit to check the attributes.

Adsiedit.msc is included in the Windows 2000 Support Tools. It shows the
attributes in plain texts.

Please find the user account and then check its attributes. Can you find
the UNIX attributes listed in the user account's attributes? If you find
them, please click one of them and check the values. Has the value already
set?

If the value is set, it means the replication is ok. Those attributes are
replicated to the other DCs. Because we are not sure of how the queries are
made by the SUSE box, it is hard to tell why it cannot query the attributes.

If the value is unset, it means there is some problem in the replication.
You have to give me the Ntds logs and the result of repadmin as I have
asked for in the last post. Then we can see what is wrong.

I am looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

There has been software loaded on the PDC to extend the functionality of the
ADUC to see those values there. Find out from whomever installed this software
where it is and install it on the other machines that you want to see this tab from.

joe

www.joeware.net

TRENDING THREADS