RADIUS SERVER SUGGESTIONS??

Mei

I would like to use RADIUS to authenticate against my AD 2003 domain for a
new VPN appliance I have connected to the WAN. Is there an internal
mechanism in Windows to allow devices to authenticate against itself with
Radius? OR is there a 3rd party product which is reasonably prices or maybe
even free??
Thanks...

"MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote in message
> I would like to use RADIUS to authenticate against my AD 2003 domain for a
> new VPN appliance I have connected to the WAN. Is there an internal
> mechanism in Windows to allow devices to authenticate against itself with
> Radius? OR is there a 3rd party product which is reasonably prices or
maybe
> even free??

I am not sure if the following answers you real
question -- what is is you directly intend to do?

Windows 2000 and 2003 both include a RADIUS
server: IAS (Internet Authentication Server).

Both Windows and third party hardware software
can use this IAS which can itself go to either a
Windows (AD) or other authentication service that
supports RADIUS.

Use the built in IAS Server. There is an option to allow/deny domain access
based on AD group membership.

Mike Ober.

> "MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote in message
> > I would like to use RADIUS to authenticate against my AD 2003 domain for
> > new VPN appliance I have connected to the WAN. Is there an internal
> > mechanism in Windows to allow devices to authenticate against itself
with
> > Radius? OR is there a 3rd party product which is reasonably prices or
> maybe
> > even free??
>
> I am not sure if the following answers you real
> question -- what is is you directly intend to do?
>
> Windows 2000 and 2003 both include a RADIUS
> server: IAS (Internet Authentication Server).
>
> Both Windows and third party hardware software
> can use this IAS which can itself go to either a
> Windows (AD) or other authentication service that
> supports RADIUS.

MEI,

We have IAS setup on a w2k dc and use it to authenticate users connecting to
any of our routers, firewall and for our MIS staff connecting to our vpn for
weekend support. Below are a couple of linksto get you started:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/dnsbk_ias_zcqu.asp

This link focuses on the Cisco PIX firewall, but should give you some ideas
and a place to start.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pix422.html