Sign in with
Your question

New BF2 Patch

Last response: in Video Games
October 7, 2005 10:57:25 PM

So what do you think of the new 1.03 patch? New sounds took a few minutes to get used to but I like them now. Also nice was getting an immediate rank increase (instead of needing 10K points) and 2 weapons upgrades.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

More about : bf2 patch

October 7, 2005 11:00:37 PM

Say what? They reduced the points you need to qualify for promotions or what? 2 gun upgrades? People are going to max out quick unless they added more weapons.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 8, 2005 12:29:51 AM

I installed the patch.

Ran the game, it kept minimizing to the desktop. When I finally got in I couldn't find the server I normally play on. Then I couldn't find any servers. Removed the "same version" filter and all the servers appeared. They now have a (#) next to them and if I try to connect to any of them they say "server full" or something about me not being on the reserved list.

I have 3800 points and it shows me as being promoted I think, but I won't know since I can't play it now. I'm going to try again later.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 8, 2005 1:00:13 AM

I think they made it too easy

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 8, 2005 4:10:56 AM

Ok, got promoted twice to Sergeant. Took the same upgrades as you since I really only play those 3 classes.

Got a crap load of medals and ribbons. Need 1000 points for my next promotion.

It's just weird with all the officers on the field. A Sergeant shouldn't be the private out there.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 8, 2005 6:16:08 AM

I never really thought about how realistic a whole battlefield full of Sergeants is. As far as reserved list, that's part of the patch. They can reserve a few spaces for certain players to join. So if you play a 16 player game, their might only be 8 or so public spaces available. If I was hosting, I'd want a few spaces reserved for buddies to always get in.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
October 10, 2005 2:24:01 PM

I logged in, I'm at 7500 points, I have Spec Ops, Sniper, Assault, Medic weapons.
In 2 hours over the weekend, I picked up a Commander badge, 2 gold stars, 1 silver, 1 bronze, a couple ribbons for stuff.. I'm working on being a Gunnery Sargeant.

I like how it ranks you in the game as you do good though. That's cool so you can get the commander position the better you do in that game, not your overall scoring.

I'm getting so many things popping up my screen that it's almost too distracting though.

I noticed an increase in lag with the new patch, plus with everyone having all these weapon upgrades, I'm noticing more people are dying faster.. whereas it was 25 kills, 6 deaths, it's not like 20 kills, 15 deaths..

Everyone is dying faster because everyone now has weapon upgrades.. and I used to think I was good cause I'd get 20 kills, 6 deaths as a spec ops. hah.
October 10, 2005 2:38:10 PM

Didnt get round to getting a BF2 copy yet. Given this latest update, is it still fun to join (late)?

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
October 10, 2005 3:26:21 PM

Yeah it's still fun to play. I noticed it to be more frustrating that you die quicker now that everyone has the upgraded guns.

Prepatch, only the people who played a lot got the better weapons, got to be the 'commander' of the forces.

Now, the game ranks on a per game.. so the better you do in that game, the higher chance of being a commander. Whereas before, your rank was overall, taken everywhere with you. So, it was always the same people, the people who played a lot, being commanders, etc.

It's fun.. the only thing I really noticed that I don't like is the increase in lag, which makes it harder to fly jets, helicopters I didn't notice anything wrong with.. and the fact that everyone now has an upgaded, more powerful weapon.. which means when you're trying to dodge someone, less hits, more deaths.

You die a lot more... normally, you can take out 1-2, maybe 3 if you're really good/lucky in an actual firefight.. now, you kill one, someone else kills you.

I want to say I'm .8 kills per minute, .5 deaths per minute.

So I die in the game about every 2 minutes. I kill 1.6 people every 2 minutes.. that just goes to show how fast you die in the game.. so that does get frustrating.. My kill streak is 34 kills before I died, my death streak is 10.. I died 10 times before killing someone else.. which both were pre-patch though.

Overall,

Yeah it's still fun to play. I noticed it to be more frustrating that you die quicker now that everyone has the upgraded guns.

Prepatch, only the people who played a lot got the better weapons, got to be the 'commander' of the forces.

Now, the game ranks on a per game.. so the better you do in that game, the higher chance of being a commander. Whereas before, your rank was overall, taken everywhere with you. So, it was always the same people, the people who played a lot, being commanders, etc.

It's fun.. the only thing I really noticed that I don't like is the increase in lag, which makes it harder to fly jets, helicopters I didn't notice anything wrong with.. and the fact that everyone now has an upgaded, more powerful weapon.. which means when you're trying to dodge someone, less hits, more deaths.

You die a lot more... normally, you can take out 1-2, maybe 3 if you're really good/lucky in an actual firefight.. now, you kill one, someone else kills you.

So I die in the game about every 2 minutes. I kill 1.6 people every 2 minutes.. that just goes to show how fast you die in the game.. so that does get frustrating.. My kill streak is 34 kills before I died, my death streak is 10.. I died 10 times before killing someone else.. which both were pre-patch though.

Overall, I

Overall, I would
October 10, 2005 3:26:22 PM

Overall, I would still recommend the game to play. They added on the former Wake Island, from WWII to 2007. It's fun.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by riser on 10/10/05 11:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 10, 2005 3:40:25 PM

Wake Island is a good map.

What I don't like is that it seems like there are less servers to choose from or they're not available to play on since they have these reserved spots. There are also less servers that use voice.

I like the new ribbons and medals. I've gotten a bunch of 'em.

They need new guns though. There is no difference between somone with 500 points and 10,000 points now.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 10, 2005 5:52:23 PM

I liked the point system.. I think it should be based on amount of time played/points. That way, if you play a lot, you have to maintain a high score/time ratio.

That way, you lose guns, you gain guns, back and forth.. when you gain ranks, then you get to keep one.

Something different.

Wake island is cool, but I find that the sniper weapons just aren't as much fun anymore. I don't like having to shoot someone twice in the chest. I can see if I wing them or hit them in the leg.. or at far distance. I normally aim for the head for the 1 shot kills, but even then, you have to be somewhat close.

I liked when you were able to sink the carriers and stuff. I don't like how that doesn't happen anymore.

Wake Island was fun.. it's alright coming back around. It doesn't have the same feel though as the original map. I like how they have it staged again though.

What I really hate is when people ram their jeep into my tank and it blows me up. I really absolutely hate that and I think it should go away.

Antiaircraft guns still don't hit crap.. they're almost worthless still.

The guns all seem the same. I tend to use the original american sniper rifle over the new one.. I like the medic's gun though, even though it's not accurate.

The assault weapon. I don't really care for it that much. it's powerful, but I liked the m203 feature. I don't like the engineer's shotgun. I liked the single shot rifle from '42 though. That was fun and accurate. The shotgun just doesn't do it for me.. can't get close enough to be effective.

I really like the pistols though.. that saves me a lot when people wait to reload.
October 10, 2005 6:59:42 PM

I really hope they let us sinks ships in this game soon.

That would change the dynamics of the game. They have missile batteries on the carriers but there's never anything to shoot. If you have to have both batteries manned, and the planes actually have to defend something rather than just fly around, it would make the game a lot more fun. The problem with this is that it wouldn't be historically acurate. When was the last time a ship got sunk? The 60's?

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 10, 2005 7:35:06 PM

Well, when was the last time an open ocean battle really happened? I would make the ships have a higher tolerance but still be sinkable.

As a jet, I prefer bombing and straffing runs over trying to shoot the enemy down. The tatics in avoiding each other in the air tends to be cut back and forth, back and forth.. but somehow, it seems everyone and their mom can cut sharper turns than me lately.. I might have to adjust my sensitivity on my joystick now.. I used to be able to stick to anyone, now I can't stick to anyone at all. I just bomb and strafe.. I get more kills strafing than I do dropping 2 bombs though.

Normally, if I get in a jet and have decent support in taking out AA, I'll normally finish in the top 5 every game.

I think tanks should have stronger armor too. 3 missiles and it's gone just doesn't do it for me. I want a bigger splash effect on certain bomb explosions too. :) 

I want it more realistic in that sense.. but I do think we should be able to sink the aircraft carriers..

What about being able to move the ships too. That was fun when you had an open battle and each person was moving their aircraft carrier so the others couldn't find it. Random spawn points for the aircraft carriers and then you have to move around to avoid. They had that in BF1942.. I really liked that map.. it was all flying.
October 10, 2005 9:27:43 PM

As I'm sure you know, they are not ramming their jeep into your tank causing an explosion. They are planting C4, flying up on you, bailing out, and setting off the C4. I hated it too, but now I'm one of them(can't beat em, join em). It takes some practice, which makes me appreciate the skilz of those who get me that way. I still bail out too soon probably 50% of the time(looking like an idiot).

October 11, 2005 12:43:57 AM

I actually haven't seen anyone do that.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 11, 2005 3:47:31 AM

Really? Ever notice buggy's laying around with C4 on the hood? Put 2 C4's on a buggy or Jeep and get the detonator ready. Hop in and gain as much speed as you can. Bail out and when the vehicle hits or gets close to the tank, press the detonator...byebye tank. Problem is, jump too early and is comes to a stop short. Jump out too late and the explosion takes you out too. It takes practice, but does the job if done right. I've had people ram me head on and get me that way. Frustrating to fire and miss, knowing 2 sec later you'll be dead. Better off machine gunning the driver because otherwise you get one shot to hit the thing or it's too late.

October 11, 2005 6:24:07 AM

Just stay in the buggy, and blow yourself up as well. It's a proven method.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
October 11, 2005 1:33:41 PM

That's just it.. I've been doing that since the very start, but these people that are doing it aren't Spec Op people.. I give the people credit for those who actually do it, but too often they just ram me, bail out, and hit me hard enough to cause an explosion. I want to say this was also available in '42.

I've gotten people the C4 plenty of times, as spec ops is my main class I play.. but when I see an Antitank doing it or a medic, I start to wonder and get annoyed.

Maybe I'll have to pay closer attention to see if there is a spec ops guy sitting around, but I always watch to see what killed me. Normally it says "... is no more" or the name of the vehicle that hit me.. I can see the ... is no more being the C4 on another vehicle.. I just find it annoying..
October 11, 2005 9:05:43 PM

That's different. I haven't noticed that but will check into it the next few times I get rammed. I might just have to practice that manuver in single player mode so I'm ready the next time we are in a game together. :eek:  Will it work to ram an enemies artillary? I hate running out of C4 with work left to be done, and not being able to get a much needed ammo drop. If I can ram them there big guns, I'd be thrilled.

October 12, 2005 1:13:55 PM

Never tried that yet. Haven't played much since the new patch came out because of other things going on.

With the new patch though, you can look up and compare your stats to other players. My account name is "riser64" so if you go under Stats, then in the top left corner above your character, you can type riser64 in there, click compare, it'll hunt me down and show you all my stats, medals, etc.
I thought that was cool, now I can see how many of you really lie and suck. :) 
October 12, 2005 6:14:24 PM

Dude it says you have 14,751 deaths and no kills. YOU SUCK!

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 12, 2005 6:15:39 PM

What's this? Holy crap! You have over a million shots fired and no kills? That's insane!

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 12, 2005 7:35:42 PM

haha what?? I know the stats get screwed up and all.. but I don't have anywhere near that many total kills + deaths..

I have maybe 2500 kills and 2000 deaths.. I have 19% accuracy though :) 

Are you sure you looked up "riser64" ?
October 12, 2005 7:47:32 PM

my battlefield is so screwed! it would let me log in and load a game, but right when i was to enter a battle, BF2 would just shut down. I tried to uninstall, then reinstall, and now when i try to patch BF2 with 1.0.3, the patch f'in fails! i have latest catalyst drives, updated bios, soundcard...i dunno what else to do, any useful opinions?
October 12, 2005 8:48:49 PM

The patch won't install either?

What other games do you have installed on your computer?

What kind of Video card do you have? If you don't have a DirectX9 capable card, it'll drop out. You can drop the game down to the previous shader version though to play. The game just won't look as good.

What are you system specs too?
October 12, 2005 8:54:27 PM

My system should be fine, it's an HP media desktop, 3.4ghz p4, ATI X800XL, and an HDM Sony monitor. also got two gigs of platinum OCZ RAM. it's not custom, but should be just fine. I have HL2, Guild Wars, did have BF2 on it...the game ran fine before i installed latest patch. it worked for a while with the patch, but funky. i might just do a f'in system restore to a point where life was easier.
October 13, 2005 6:16:50 AM

I need to work on my stats. I noticed that I have an excessive amount of silver stars (12) vs 4 gold stars. 2nd place isn't good enough.

I have way too many deaths too. Need to kill more people.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 13, 2005 6:19:09 AM

You have less than 100 points? It won't even load your stats.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 13, 2005 1:59:31 PM

haha what's your game name? I tried dhlucke and nothing was coming up.

I get switched on teams all the time and lose so much. I need to start playing on select servers instead of jumping around. Most of the time my teams suck and I go lone wolf, even when in squads. The last game I played.. we actually lost.. 10 tickets on our side, 1 on theirs. They held that 1 ticket long enough for us to lose. I just quit at that point. haha

I need to play some more and start working on the stats. Since I got the medic upgrade, I've been doing that a lot. The Spec Ops thing is getting worn out because commanders always suck.
October 13, 2005 2:57:43 PM

LOL, not quite that bad. My worst stat is I still have more deaths than kills (200+ more). As a former sniper in past games, this is something I'm far from used to (I hate it). But I jumped in gung ho from the start and was 500+ deaths behind at one point in the beginning. It's hard to catch up as it seems every night there is at least 1-2 games where artilary, choppers, or spawn point campers just hammer me, almost erasing my good daily ratio. A few days ago I had my best K/D night ever going and then ended with a 3 kill 12 death game where we had one spawn point and the enemy had it so covered, you spawned and died immediatley. I should have just watched and hoped they'ed finally just take the flag. But I was too stubborn in hopes of getting the blasted campers. All I accomplished was 2 tank/suicide C4's explosions (plant and push the button without running), which while cheap, did more for my team that anthing else I could have done. Oh well, I'm still nuts about this game.

October 13, 2005 3:02:50 PM

Hey, I need to thank your for that stats page. It's the first place I've seen to locate where buddies are currently playing. We've been using cell phones to hook up together usually, but now even if I'm late I can join the party and don't have to die while answing a phone if I'm the one in. Thx again.

October 13, 2005 6:43:12 PM

It took me a LONG time to get used to BF2, cause i never played the first. it actually might be because i've never played a pc game(besides solitare and mindsweeper) till august. that's when i got my rig and now my life is over. i just started this name (Dresd3n) cause my last was pathetic. i got the hang of everything finally, and occasionally just go on BF2 to flip heli's, lol. oh, and the best spawn rape is sharqi pennisula, be mec, and raid the US spawn where their chopper is. i got 150 points, with like 70 kills once on this lvl.
October 13, 2005 7:29:11 PM

But you should realize you're not playing a single player console game anymore. You're playing with other people. Spawn camping is looked down on and really, is it that much fun?

Maybe once here or there.. but to do it all the time, or flipping heli's just for fun?

Come on now.. I don't play a lot, but when I do I plan on having some entertainment and fun..

Learn to play like a team and the game gets even better.. instead of spawn camping..
October 13, 2005 11:36:35 PM

I'll PM you my name since I want it private.

The problem with my stats is that I spent/spend a lot of time running around as spec ops just blowing stuff up. You got no points for that and only accrued a lot of deaths. Now that you get points it's nice. I'd also spend a lot of time learning how to fly or being a copilot or something and that isn't exactly helpfull for the ratio either.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 14, 2005 12:28:58 AM

I gotcha covered

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 14, 2005 12:56:36 PM

I like the challenge of people coming out trying to kill me. haha.

I told Folken I'm hunthing for him in a game so I can kill him. haha. (in the game, of course!)

I started some solo local games to test out flying and stuff.. that way you don't have the lag and you can learn to shoot the attack helicopter's guided missile.. I suck with the rockets for the most part. I wanted to learn to fly the helicopters, but I just can't kill anything without doing a huge swoop down on targets.

I played Spec Ops A LOT and never got points. Haven't played it since the patch to get my points though.
October 14, 2005 11:31:50 PM

I have my moments. My best round was 88 points. But I'm not that amazing when it comes to one on one combat. I do better from a distance or with explosives.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 14, 2005 11:37:29 PM

However, if I have a good squad that uses voice effectively I'm potent. It seems to be getting rarer though which sucks. I can't find my old server either which is a bummer.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 15, 2005 1:24:15 AM

you're right man, team play is the best. me and a few friends will go on same server, form squad, and wreck shi+ up. i only spawn camp sometimes, usually depending on the level, cause it can be kinda of necessary in order to stall other team. And, if you keep practicing, heli will get easy as hell. It's the jets that are hard. You might be able to fly, but can you use them effectively?? They are challenging , and that's fun. Going on the ground isn't fun unless you got a decent squad. I think something they need to work on is the sound quality of mics in the game. The sound filter is horrible.
October 15, 2005 1:47:34 AM

I have a cheap mic but it works. I've been trying to play bf2 but haven't found a single person who is using a mic.

XxxxX
(='.'=)
October 15, 2005 4:20:28 PM

I've had the same problem. I've only played in one game where the squad I was in was using the headsets, (unfortunately it was before I got my Logitech headset) needless to say that was the most fun I've had with the game. I'm hoping now that there is an option to add favorite servers, it'll be easier to find those servers where people use the headsets.
!