Brother MFC-9600, photocopy is broken, I don't understand

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.

The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
it from my computer.

The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
the unit.

I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
correctly.

Any clue?
5 answers Last reply
More about brother 9600 photocopy broken understand
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    you would have to open it up, and inside are some lenticular mirrors the
    image bounces off of when its scanned. The mirrors likely have a mild dust
    buildup on them, which results in 'filtering' the image to a very light
    impression.

    <dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message

    | I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
    | Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
    | produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.
    |
    | The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
    | perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
    | it from my computer.
    |
    | The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
    | the unit.
    |
    | I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
    | maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
    | prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
    | order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
    | correctly.
    |
    | Any clue?

  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    That doesn't make sense. The scanner gives solid black image when I
    scan in greyscale mode with the lid open. Photocopying with the lid
    open gives mild grey printout.

    If the issue was with the scanning, I would suspect problems in scanned
    images too.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Not at work so I can't be sure about this model. Does it have a sheet feeder on
    the scanner. (ie can you scan from the flat bed OR through a sheet feeder).
    If so, try copying both ways and see if there is a difference.
    The sheet feeder usually has a seperate window (narrow window the width of the
    page) through which the scanner unit "sees" the paper, if the sheet feeder
    fails but the flat bed works then this window may need cleaning (dry cloth is
    best, denatured alcohol or gentle household cleaner if necessary). Another
    thought, the internal mirrors may be used differently between sheet feed and
    flat bed, there could be a clue there and maybe cleaning the mirrors would be
    needed but only if one method of copying works and the other one fails.
    There has to be a difference in the way the internal electronics operate when
    scanning versus copying (different signal paths are opened up). If the results
    are the same from sheet feeder and flat bed then I would change the scanner
    bulb (sounds silly????, could be that it is on the edge of failure and the
    difference in logic between scanning and copying is enough to make the
    difference).
    I assume it is not under warranty? If so then call your friendly local Brother
    agent. You may want to call them anyway but I guess it will cost something to
    do so.
    Tony

    dude17@sacbeemail.com wrote:

    >I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
    >Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
    >produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.
    >
    >The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
    >perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
    >it from my computer.
    >
    >The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
    >the unit.
    >
    >I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
    >maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
    >prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
    >order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
    >correctly.
    >
    >Any clue?

  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    N cook wrote: "Dirty optics leads to less light getting to the latent
    white
    areas on the OPC, to neutralise the charge, and so toner
    stays on the OPC leading to grey instead of white on the
    paper. "

    This is a digital copier by the way. Scanner scans it first, stores it
    in memory, then, image is drawn onto the imaging drum with a laser
    beam.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    "Cobalt" <spam@linhax.com> wrote in message
    > you would have to open it up, and inside are some lenticular mirrors the
    > image bounces off of when its scanned. The mirrors likely have a mild dust
    > buildup on them, which results in 'filtering' the image to a very light
    > impression.
    >

    > <dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message
    > |
    > | I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
    > | Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
    > | produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.
    > |
    > | The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
    > | perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
    > | it from my computer.
    > |
    > | The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
    > | the unit.
    > |
    > | I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
    > | maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
    > | prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
    > | order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
    > | correctly.
    > |
    > | Any clue?

    Dirty optics leads to less light getting to the latent white
    areas on the OPC, to neutralise the charge, and so toner
    stays on the OPC leading to grey instead of white on the
    paper.

    Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
    http://home.graffiti.net/diverse
    Copier repair hints