change DS Restore password

I nned to change the DS restore password on two W2K AD DC's. I have searched
the KB and found articles that seem good but am confused on aspects of the DS
restore versus offline SAM password.

Thnak You
Brett S.

From th reading I have done - it seemed as though there were two passwords -
one for the ofline sam and one for ds restore - are thay the same password?

"Brett S." wrote:

> I nned to change the DS restore password on two W2K AD DC's. I have searched
> the KB and found articles that seem good but am confused on aspects of the DS
> restore versus offline SAM password.
>

> Thnak You
> Brett S.

The DS restore mode password can be changed using SETPWD:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239803

This password is kept in SAM. What is so confusing?

HTH,

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Brett S." <BrettS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I nned to change the DS restore password on two W2K AD DC's. I have
>searched
> the KB and found articles that seem good but am confused on aspects of the
> DS
> restore versus offline SAM password.
>

> Thnak You
> Brett S.

yeap. it's the same password

--

> From th reading I have done - it seemed as though there were two
> passwords -
> one for the ofline sam and one for ds restore - are thay the same
> password?
>
> "Brett S." wrote:
>
>> I nned to change the DS restore password on two W2K AD DC's. I have
>> searched
>> the KB and found articles that seem good but am confused on aspects of
>> the DS
>> restore versus offline SAM password.
>>

>> Thnak You
>> Brett S.

Yes. Basically, Windows keeps a cut-down version of the SAM on each DC that
only holds the DS restore mode administrator account. In the context of
this user, the terms SAM and DS mode user/ password are usually synonymous.

When you load in DSRM you are not loading the AD (offline mode) therefore
Windows loads the SAM instead.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/