Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommend Me a PSU Please!

Last response: in Components
Share
July 9, 2006 5:56:06 AM

Hi

I want a PSU of 520+. My system will be a conroe with nforce 590 1gb of ram, geforce 7600gt, neons, fans, sound card, two hard drives, two cdrom drives.

Well I would like to know a recommendation on tigerdirect they sell good ones but some of them are TOO expensive. So no higher than 100$ which one would be good? I dont know about good brands because I never was a person who got interested in PSU's

Recommendations? Also which brands are good ones?

PD: SLI-Certified please with SATA Connectors and enough 4pin molex connectors and ATX2.2 or whatever the last ATX is.

More about : recommend psu

July 9, 2006 6:16:32 AM

For a brand I'd say Antec. But it will be hard to get a 520+ PSU from a good manufacturer for less than $100. Good luck.

EDIT: just checked newegg, they have Antec 550's for $100 so I gues you can get them
July 9, 2006 6:17:57 AM

But why PSU are so expensives? They are needed for a computer to work. Why some of them go up to 150$!

What about that brand OC? is it good? what about the Ultra one?
Related resources
July 9, 2006 6:28:47 AM

They arent expensive, you can get a 600 watt one for probably $30 but you will get exactly what you pay for.

PSU are no different than any other part, they are priced (usually) according to their capabilities and quality, a quality PSU will last longer and perform better than a cheapo. I had a friend who was running a chep PSU, it blew and took his mobo and CPU with it. And some of them cost more than $150.

Quote:

What about that brand OC? is it good? what about the Ultra one?


I really don't know what you are talking about here, could you elaborate please?
July 9, 2006 6:32:25 AM

Well thats true. I overclocked my PIII some days ago to make it better and not a useless machine. It had a Okia power supply of $40 (400 watts). Guess what the motherboard flew away together with the power supply. I now know what you mean with that but anyways I need to have in mind how much im gonna spend on that new conroe system.

When I said OC and Ultra I meant PSU brands here are examples

Ultra:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

OCZ
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hope that helps.
July 9, 2006 6:35:46 AM

Quote:
Well thats true. I overclocked my PIII some days ago to make it better and not a useless machine. It had a Okia power supply of $40 (400 watts). Guess what the motherboard flew away together with the power supply. I now know what you mean with that but anyways I need to have in mind how much im gonna spend on that new conroe system.

When I said OC and Ultra I meant PSU brands here are examples

Ultra:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

OCZ
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hope that helps.


Yeah, I've never heard of Ultra before so I can't judge them. As for OCZ, I have some of their RAM in my computer and it works just fine, but I can't vouch for their power supplies, sorry. I still suggest Antec if you can get them in your price range.
July 9, 2006 6:37:18 AM

Do you still think that less than $100 is a bad choise? I dont mean $50 or $60. But something around 80-90.

Ill keep an eye on them.
July 9, 2006 6:47:05 AM

The price isn't as important as the brand, a cheap Antec is still an Antec (though it will probably put out less power), if you find a decent brand (I've heard good things about Enermax as well) that puts out enough watts and is less than $100 then go for it.

I go through newegg.com for my parts and they usually have lots of customer reviews, I don't know if Tigerdirect has customer reviews but they can be a good indication of the quality of a particular item. Just don't make a decision based solely off the reviews.
July 9, 2006 2:02:07 PM

NewEgg has the Antec TruePower 550 watt, one of the best quality PSU's by Antec, for $89
July 9, 2006 2:40:30 PM

Quote:
But why PSU are so expensives? They are needed for a computer to work. Why some of them go up to 150$!

The best products (not always the same as the most expensive) will have accurate voltages and supply steady current. They'll have high efficiency which actually saves money in the long run if your PC is on 24/7. Best of all, products like the Seasonic S12 range are very quiet. A Seasonic is what I use and what I'd recommend. It's the quietest thing in my case.

At work all the office machines are budget PC's with cheap as chips PSUs and they've never caused any problems over the years. Personally I'd always buy Seasonic and wouldn't want to head south of that.
July 9, 2006 3:11:02 PM

Quote:
Hi

I want a PSU of 520+. My system will be a conroe with nforce 590 1gb of ram, geforce 7600gt, neons, fans, sound card, two hard drives, two cdrom drives.

Well I would like to know a recommendation on tigerdirect they sell good ones but some of them are TOO expensive. So no higher than 100$ which one would be good? I dont know about good brands because I never was a person who got interested in PSU's

Recommendations? Also which brands are good ones?

PD: SLI-Certified please with SATA Connectors and enough 4pin molex connectors and ATX2.2 or whatever the last ATX is.


you dont need 500w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

that'll be fine.
July 9, 2006 5:42:26 PM

But I plan to go SLI later in the future.

Also have in mind this

motherboard, processor, sound card, wireless card.
5 fans from the case, 3 hard drives, 2 dvd-rw drives.
Add to that 3 neons.

PD: My father now doesnt want to spend a lot on power supplis even when I told him everything you guys have posted, he is like "Have in mind what we gonna spend in that conroe system, now add a new power supply" (Because we were gonna use an Okia 400Watts PSU but it died with my Pentium III system three days ago)
July 9, 2006 5:55:08 PM

Quote:
But I plan to go SLI later in the future.

Also have in mind this

motherboard, processor, sound card, wireless card.
5 fans from the case, 3 hard drives, 2 dvd-rw drives.
Add to that 3 neons.

PD: My father now doesnt want to spend a lot on power supplis even when I told him everything you guys have posted, he is like "Have in mind what we gonna spend in that conroe system, now add a new power supply" (Because we were gonna use an Okia 400Watts PSU but it died with my Pentium III system three days ago)


ok, 7600GT arent power hungry.

if it'll give u a piece of mind to get 500w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

enjoy, it'll run like 4 7600GT's w/o a problem.
July 9, 2006 6:04:35 PM

Well that one looks good.

Shouldn't I need a SLI-certified and SATA-certified PSU for a safe function of my PC?

Another question, Why is that Antec PSU kinda "low-price"?
July 9, 2006 6:16:24 PM

Quote:
OCZ GameXstream: efficient, compact, lightweight


Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/


Yup i recommend that too
July 9, 2006 6:39:52 PM

Quote:
Well that one looks good.

Shouldn't I need a SLI-certified and SATA-certified PSU for a safe function of my PC?

Another question, Why is that Antec PSU kinda "low-price"?

Yes it has to have 2 pcie connecters and the smartpower doesnt but if you havent got 2 7600gts yet then dont get a 7900gt or a 1800xt for cheaper and better performance and get the smartpower antec makes some of the best psu on the market + modular is always good :D 
July 9, 2006 7:34:05 PM

Quote:
Well that one looks good.

Shouldn't I need a SLI-certified and SATA-certified PSU for a safe function of my PC?

Another question, Why is that Antec PSU kinda "low-price"?

Yes it has to have 2 pcie connecters and the smartpower doesnt but if you havent got 2 7600gts yet then dont get a 7900gt or a 1800xt for cheaper and better performance and get the smartpower antec makes some of the best psu on the market + modular is always good :D 

no, a PSU doesnt have to be SLi certified.

trust me. a 400w Antec PSU will run dual 7600GT's no problem. Antec makes very good quality PSU's for a very modest price.
July 9, 2006 7:56:45 PM

Well then I think Ill go for an Antec PSU since you guys talked good about them :) 

But it depends on what I find on TigerDirect. If they dont have the antec im looking for then Ill just have to pic another one.

Thanks!
July 10, 2006 4:10:38 PM

Quote:
Well then I think Ill go for an Antec PSU since you guys talked good about them :) 

But it depends on what I find on TigerDirect. If they dont have the antec im looking for then Ill just have to pic another one.

Thanks!


if not look for Fortron source, or sparkle PSU's
!